Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,802,856 Members 37,819 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Streaming Video Stutter - N9005 - 4.4.2

Tip us?
 
Buckster76
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 25
Join Date: Mar 2014
Default Streaming Video Stutter - N9005 - 4.4.2

wondered if anyone else suffered from this - not sure if its an "Android" or Note 3 issue

basically if watching streamed video - in particular Netflix and Youtube - I can't get smooth playback

the phone seems to drop frames (noticeable by either causing judder or a sudden slow down/speed up as it catches up)

this is via 3G or via Wifi - makes no difference

same content on IPAD is silky smooth

I've tried forcing 2D acceleration in dev settings to no avail

it seems like the hardware or OS can't keep up with the video at all times

local content plays back completely smoothly, be it podcasts via Pocketcasts or local video files via MX Player - perfectly smooth - even at 1080p

any ideas please ?
 
eakkypoo
Old
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 2
Join Date: Jan 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster76 View Post
wondered if anyone else suffered from this - not sure if its an "Android" or Note 3 issue

basically if watching streamed video - in particular Netflix and Youtube - I can't get smooth playback

the phone seems to drop frames (noticeable by either causing judder or a sudden slow down/speed up as it catches up)

this is via 3G or via Wifi - makes no difference

same content on IPAD is silky smooth

I've tried forcing 2D acceleration in dev settings to no avail

it seems like the hardware or OS can't keep up with the video at all times

local content plays back completely smoothly, be it podcasts via Pocketcasts or local video files via MX Player - perfectly smooth - even at 1080p

any ideas please ?
I would love to say that my n9005 at 4.3 is stuttering as well. I don't know why.
 
Buckster76
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 25
Join Date: Mar 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakkypoo View Post
I would love to say that my n9005 at 4.3 is stuttering as well. I don't know why.
I noticed something interesting this week -although maybe Placebo (pretty sure not though)

I've always had laggy/stuttering Netflix vs smooth on IOS

yet smooth local 1080p content - perfect really

I was trying Sky Go earlier in week and was lovely and smooth in fact I'd noted how smooth the video playback seemed vs Netflix, tonight I noticed stutter on Sky Go was beginning to think if I was running something in background or something - but then figured the difference - tonight was streamed via Wifi, earlier in week was same/similar content but downloaded first

so is there something odd with chipset that it doesn't like Wifi + Video decoding at same time ?
 
HanZie82
Old
#4  
HanZie82's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 60
Posts: 236
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: 2nd floor still under sea-level.

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckster76 View Post
I noticed something interesting this week -although maybe Placebo (pretty sure not though)

I've always had laggy/stuttering Netflix vs smooth on IOS

yet smooth local 1080p content - perfect really

I was trying Sky Go earlier in week and was lovely and smooth in fact I'd noted how smooth the video playback seemed vs Netflix, tonight I noticed stutter on Sky Go was beginning to think if I was running something in background or something - but then figured the difference - tonight was streamed via Wifi, earlier in week was same/similar content but downloaded first

so is there something odd with chipset that it doesn't like Wifi + Video decoding at same time ?
MX Player (and others) might use hardware decoding, Netflix and the sorts might not.
You could go to Dev-settings and check on "Show CPU usage", so you can see whats happening. (But you'ld have to google what it all means as i dont know.
But what i do know is that the procces list shouldnt be too long, like 20 items in my list when idling (for 5 minutes) after usage.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (N9005) - Stock rooted
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7inch (T210) - RocketTab 3.1 Lite rooted

HTC Desire HD running CyanogenMod 10.1 (Radio: 12.69.60.29_26.17.14.11_M) Sold


Home (fibre optics) Mobile (4G)
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes