Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can You Flash Recovery On Locked Transformer?

OP ghiotom

27th May 2014, 03:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
First off, I am learning everything on the fly, so keep this in mind if my question sounds stupid. It's my wife's Prime and it just wouldn't boot one day.The best I can tell it had JB 4.1.1 and it is locked. I can access the bootloader with 4 options. There are no longer any recovery options on the TF201 itself. I am trying to flash a recovery from fastboot, but when it goes to write I get a failed message-invalid state error even though the blue bar goes to full on the tablet. I assume that the reason I am unable to flash the tablet is because it is locked and at this point there is no way to unlock it. I just need someone to confirm my assumption that the device is permanently bricked so I can stop the hours of research and return to a normal life. Thanks for any help.
31st May 2014, 01:27 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Kenilworth, Coventry
Thanks Meter: 13,242

11,667 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghiotom

First off, I am learning everything on the fly, so keep this in mind if my question sounds stupid. It's my wife's Prime and it just wouldn't boot one day.The best I can tell it had JB 4.1.1 and it is locked. I can access the bootloader with 4 options. There are no longer any recovery options on the TF201 itself. I am trying to flash a recovery from fastboot, but when it goes to write I get a failed message-invalid state error even though the blue bar goes to full on the tablet. I assume that the reason I am unable to flash the tablet is because it is locked and at this point there is no way to unlock it. I just need someone to confirm my assumption that the device is permanently bricked so I can stop the hours of research and return to a normal life. Thanks for any help.

No not possible with out unlocking - you can flash the stock asus blob which is signed and it will update your recovery back to stock but that is it.
1st June 2014, 06:47 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
I'm not sure what you're saying. You said it can't be flashed if the bootloader is locked, then you say I can flash a stock Asus blob.
1st June 2014, 09:57 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor

11,667 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I'm not sure what you're saying. You said it can't be flashed if the bootloader is locked, then you say I can flash a stock Asus blob.

Yes exactly that. You can't flash anything customised on an locked boot loader.
1st June 2014, 03:44 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
I didn't mention that I also tried to install the stock Asus firmware from their website using both the Fastboot method as well as a microSD card, but neither method worked. You're saying that flashing the stock firmware should work.The fact that it didn't, leads me to believe that there is probably something wrong on a hardware level and a motherboard replacement is the only option.
2nd June 2014, 12:12 AM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor

11,667 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:

I didn't mention that I also tried to install the stock Asus firmware from their website using both the Fastboot method as well as a microSD card, but neither method worked. You're saying that flashing the stock firmware should work.The fact that it didn't, leads me to believe that there is probably something wrong on a hardware level and a motherboard replacement is the only option.

Not sure you can fastboot flash it no but you can certainly unzip it, rename it to whatever they said to and drop it on the microsd, go to bootloader, hit rck and it should flash it. You can only do this with Asus signed files.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread