Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Secondhand Nook Color

OP MsEdyn

31st May 2014, 10:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
I recently received a used Nook color from a family member. They had bought a new tablet, and didn't need the Nook any longer. The problem with the NC, however, is it would no longer turn on or even charge. After opening the back (and thus voiding the warranty), I discovered the wires connected to the power button had come loose. I reattached them, put the NC back together, plugged in the charger and turned it on. Everything seemed fine, until I tried to erase it.

I've tried several different attempts, from simply tapping 'erase and deregister' to holding the power and home buttons, and pretty much every other way B&N's tech support told me. Each time, I get the same error message telling me to try again or contact customer support.

Likewise, any changes I make to the Nook (wallpaper, deleting some of the previous owner's books, etc) revert back to the way they were before each failed attempt as well as after simply turning the Nook off and back on.

My computer will not recognize it as a mass usb storage device, nor will it install at all on the computer. Plug in the usb, and it shows up as 'unrecognized'

Finally, anytime I have an SD card plugged in, the NC blackscreens after about 5-10 mins. Requiring a quick reboot.

Now, B&N tells me the NC is pretty much trashed and that I need to upgrade to a new one. I refuse to believe this until I've tried every option I can find. So, if someone can give me any help on trying to get this thing fixed, I'd be greatly appreciated, or if I'd just be better off buying a new tablet. (probably won't be getting a new nook)
1st June 2014, 12:31 AM   |  #2  
Flag Chicago
Thanks Meter: 250

757 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsEdyn

I recently received a used Nook color from a family member. They had bought a new tablet, and didn't need the Nook any longer. The problem with the NC, however, is it would no longer turn on or even charge. After opening the back (and thus voiding the warranty), I discovered the wires connected to the power button had come loose. I reattached them, put the NC back together, plugged in the charger and turned it on. Everything seemed fine, until I tried to erase it.

I've tried several different attempts, from simply tapping 'erase and deregister' to holding the power and home buttons, and pretty much every other way B&N's tech support told me. Each time, I get the same error message telling me to try again or contact customer support.

Likewise, any changes I make to the Nook (wallpaper, deleting some of the previous owner's books, etc) revert back to the way they were before each failed attempt as well as after simply turning the Nook off and back on.

My computer will not recognize it as a mass usb storage device, nor will it install at all on the computer. Plug in the usb, and it shows up as 'unrecognized'

Finally, anytime I have an SD card plugged in, the NC blackscreens after about 5-10 mins. Requiring a quick reboot.

Now, B&N tells me the NC is pretty much trashed and that I need to upgrade to a new one. I refuse to believe this until I've tried every option I can find. So, if someone can give me any help on trying to get this thing fixed, I'd be greatly appreciated, or if I'd just be better off buying a new tablet. (probably won't be getting a new nook)

All hope is not lost.
Make sure your nook is model # BNVR200. Look on the back cover toward the lower half by the speaker grill. If it is BNT250A/B you have a nook tablet and are in the wrong forum.

If your computer is Windows OS download Google Android USB driver here.

If the nook still has the stock ROM, check by going into settings, about. Latest BN stock ROM is v1.43. If you are on stock BN ROM, try the 8 failed reboots to restore the BN ROM. Instructions are provided by LeapinLar. Read item A12.

The nook could be powering down to conserve battery when a SD card is inserted. It should wake when the n home button is pressed.

The previous owner is the one who should be deregistering the nook, not you. If he/she does not want to do it and you do not care to use his/her media content, you can install CM7-gingerbread, CM10-jellybean, or CM-11-kit kat. CM can be installed on bootable SD or internally in place of the stock BN ROM. Instructions are provided by LeapinLar here.

Whichever CM version you install, make sure to install the correct version of GApps. BN for Android is almost similar in functionality as the stock BN UI. Only you cannot read BN interactive books with the Android BN app. Screen shots of Android Nook app attached.

Of course BN will tell you to buy another Nook product to increase its profits, but we all know better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-31-20-40-05.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	2774612   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-05-31-20-43-09.png
Views:	31
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	2774613   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2014-06-01-10-15-10.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	2774887  
Last edited by hwong96; 1st June 2014 at 05:18 PM.
1st June 2014, 10:23 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwong96

All hope is not lost.
Make sure your nook is model # BNVR200. Look on the back cover toward the lower half by the speaker grill. If it is BNT250A/B you have a nook tablet and are in the wrong forum.

If your computer is Windows OS download Google Android USB driver here.

If the nook still has the stock ROM, check by going into settings, about. Latest BN stock ROM is v1.43. If you are on stock BN ROM, try the 8 failed reboots to restore the BN ROM. Instructions are provided by LeapinLar. Read item A12.

The nook could be powering down to conserve battery when a SD card is inserted. It should wake when the n home button is pressed.

The previous owner is the one who should be deregistering the nook, not you. If he/she does not want to do it and you do not care to use his/her media content, you can install CM7-gingerbread, CM10-jellybean, or CM-11-kit kat. CM can be installed on bootable SD or internally in place of the stock BN ROM. Instructions are provided by LeapinLar here.

Whichever CM version you install, make sure to install the correct version of GApps. BN for Android is almost similar in functionality as the stock BN UI. Only you cannot read BN interactive books with the Android BN app. Screen shots of Android Nook app attached.

Of course BN will tell you to buy another Nook product to increase its profits, but we all know better.

The model number is BNTV250 Which a quick google search tells me it's a tablet color. Either way, I have tried doing most of this stuff already before coming here. Failed reboots, booting from an SD card, pretty much everything I could find through a google search.

As for the issue with the sd card, it's not a simple issue of it powering down to conserve battery. No amount of pressing any of the buttons will work. The only way I'm able to get it to turn back on is by pressing the power key for about 20 secs, releasing, and pressing again for about 3 secs.

Finally, a bit of new information. I was finally able to manage to get the nook to install on my computer and give me access to the files. However, I can't delete anything. I tried going that route to delete the old books, however once I eject and disconnect the nook, all the books that were deleted remain, and the books I attempted to add weren't there.
Last edited by MsEdyn; 1st June 2014 at 10:37 PM.
2nd June 2014, 01:18 AM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 3,703

8,429 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsEdyn

The model number is BNTV250 Which a quick google search tells me it's a tablet color. Either way, I have tried doing most of this stuff already before coming here. Failed reboots, booting from an SD card, pretty much everything I could find through a google search.

As for the issue with the sd card, it's not a simple issue of it powering down to conserve battery. No amount of pressing any of the buttons will work. The only way I'm able to get it to turn back on is by pressing the power key for about 20 secs, releasing, and pressing again for about 3 secs.

Finally, a bit of new information. I was finally able to manage to get the nook to install on my computer and give me access to the files. However, I can't delete anything. I tried going that route to delete the old books, however once I eject and disconnect the nook, all the books that were deleted remain, and the books I attempted to add weren't there.

You had better do more than a quick search. A BNTV250 is a Nook Tablet, not a Nook Color and nothing in this Nook Color forum will work on it. There is no such thing as a tablet color. Go to the Nook Tablet forum for your answers.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app
Last edited by leapinlar; 2nd June 2014 at 01:20 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread