Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Can't use IR Blaster without HTC TV app?

OP S1L3nTShaDoWz

1st June 2014, 08:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 73

380 posts
More
No IR blaster apps work to control my TV or any TV's other than the TV app which came with the phone? Is this normal and if so how can I use external apps to control my IR blaster? e.g power on or off TV

ROM: Android Revolution HD
Kernel CHECKM8
S-OFF W unlocked bootloader & TWRP
MNumber: HTC6525LVW
1st June 2014, 09:16 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 0

11 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by S1L3nTShaDoWz

No IR blaster apps work to control my TV or any TV's other than the TV app which came with the phone? Is this normal and if so how can I use external apps to control my IR blaster? e.g power on or off TV

Kernel CHECKM8
S-OFF W unlocked bootloader & TWRP
MNumber: HTC6525LVW

I've used this app Smart IR Remote on my phone to control different TV's, fans, A/C's without an issue.

Are you getting any error messages? Anything else we can use or know to help figure out your issue?
1st June 2014, 10:14 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaman

I've used this app Smart IR Remote on my phone to control different TV's, fans, A/C's without an issue.

Are you getting any error messages? Anything else we can use or know to help figure out your issue?

No errors & I just tried that and no luck. It's a Vizio TV which I'm testing on. I've tried on another Vizio TV and a Samsung one with no luck too. I know it works or at least worked on the Samsung TV but now it's not working at all on my Vizio TV and I doubt even the Samsung one. (havent tried samsung again yet) Also I put my S4 and M8 beside each other and tried using the same app to turn on my TV and where the M8 failed multiple times the S4 turned it on within half a second first try. I even took off my Otterbox case to try and see if it was somehow blocking it and it still wouldn't work. Could this be some sort of hardware problem or could it be software?
1st June 2014, 10:30 AM   |  #4  

11 posts
More
Quote:

No errors & I just tried that and no luck. It's a Vizio TV which I'm testing on. I've tried on another Vizio TV and a Samsung one with no luck too. I know it works or at least worked on the Samsung TV but now it's not working at all on my Vizio TV and I doubt even the Samsung one. (havent tried samsung again yet) Also I put my S4 and M8 beside each other and tried using the same app to turn on my TV and where the M8 failed multiple times the S4 turned it on within half a second first try. I even took off my Otterbox case to try and see if it was somehow blocking it and it still wouldn't work. Could this be some sort of hardware problem or could it be software?

From what I've read, the IR port is the power button too. So make sure you are pointing that end at the tv. That Otterbox is quite bulky, so make sure the power button area flap is up while trying remotes out.

I don't think it would be a hardware issue if you are able to use the stock tv app to control the tv.
1st June 2014, 08:54 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Upstate NY
Thanks Meter: 9,440

9,667 posts
Donate to Me
More
What ROM are you using?
1st June 2014, 11:00 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by totaman

From what I've read, the IR port is the power button too. So make sure you are pointing that end at the tv. That Otterbox is quite bulky, so make sure the power button area flap is up while trying remotes out.

I don't think it would be a hardware issue if you are able to use the stock tv app to control the tv.

I know and I did, still wouldn't work. I'm also having an issue getting 4G in areas where my friends can get it and their using Verizon too so maybe i have some type of firmware issue and I need to flash a stock RUU as suggested in my thread about that. I'll edit this or post again with the results whenever I try it.
1st June 2014, 11:04 PM   |  #7  
OP Senior Member

380 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by andybones

What ROM are you using?

2nd June 2014, 04:07 AM   |  #8  

11 posts
More
Quote:

I know and I did, still wouldn't work. I'm also having an issue getting 4G in areas where my friends can get it and their using Verizon too so maybe i have some type of firmware issue and I need to flash a stock RUU as suggested in my thread about that. I'll edit this or post again with the results whenever I try it.

Oops, I didn't see that you had a custom Rom. I'm guessing software issue now.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread