Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,216 Members 53,548 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unroot before update?

Tip us?

badnaam
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Unroot before update?

Hi,

I am on E980 ATT 4.1.2 stock. I have unrooted and also installed CWM 6.0.4.7.

I haven't yet gotten a notification for an upgrade to KK, but I am wondering.

#1 If I upgrade over the air, will it brick my phone since it's rooted and has a custom recovery?

#2 If I do want to upgrade, what's the best method for upgrading and will I have to unroot and remote CWM?

Thanks

M.Catchit
Old
Thanks Meter 3

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by badnaam View Post
Hi,

I am on E980 ATT 4.1.2 stock. I have unrooted and also installed CWM 6.0.4.7.

I haven't yet gotten a notification for an upgrade to KK, but I am wondering.

#1 If I upgrade over the air, will it brick my phone since it's rooted and has a custom recovery?

#2 If I do want to upgrade, what's the best method for upgrading and will I have to unroot and remote CWM?

Thanks
Hi there,

several manufacturers and providers do not send or cannot send the updates because of certain rooting means.

If you see the window with message: "No updates available for your device." or "The latest updates have already been installed.", then you will receive the updates inspite of root access.

But you must flash a stock recovery before or even flash the whole stock ROM. Via custom recovery and rooted ROM stock updates cannot succeed.

mk3
Old
(Last edited by mk3; 2nd June 2014 at 04:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 32
Mine was rooted with stock recovery and the upgrade process went fine this week. Since you're on CWM recovery I'd say don't do it. When the last upgrade came out and I was running a custom recovery and it boot looped my phone (as well as everyone else's phones).

As best I know your only option is to restore phone to stock and take upgrade, then root, install recovery and all your apps/settings. Its a beeyotch right?
"Abracadabra Holmes"
-Cal Naughton, Jr.