Unroot before update?

OP badnaam

1st June 2014, 06:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

39 posts
Hi,

I am on E980 ATT 4.1.2 stock. I have unrooted and also installed CWM 6.0.4.7.

I haven't yet gotten a notification for an upgrade to KK, but I am wondering.

#1 If I upgrade over the air, will it brick my phone since it's rooted and has a custom recovery?

#2 If I do want to upgrade, what's the best method for upgrading and will I have to unroot and remote CWM?

Thanks
1st June 2014, 08:09 AM   |  #2  
Flag Berlin
Thanks Meter: 3

31 posts
Donate to Me
More
Info 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by badnaam

Hi,

I am on E980 ATT 4.1.2 stock. I have unrooted and also installed CWM 6.0.4.7.

I haven't yet gotten a notification for an upgrade to KK, but I am wondering.

#1 If I upgrade over the air, will it brick my phone since it's rooted and has a custom recovery?

#2 If I do want to upgrade, what's the best method for upgrading and will I have to unroot and remote CWM?

Thanks

Hi there,

several manufacturers and providers do not send or cannot send the updates because of certain rooting means.

If you see the window with message: "No updates available for your device." or "The latest updates have already been installed.", then you will receive the updates inspite of root access.

But you must flash a stock recovery before or even flash the whole stock ROM. Via custom recovery and rooted ROM stock updates cannot succeed.
2nd June 2014, 04:44 AM   |  #3  
Flag GMT -8
Thanks Meter: 32

186 posts
More
Mine was rooted with stock recovery and the upgrade process went fine this week. Since you're on CWM recovery I'd say don't do it. When the last upgrade came out and I was running a custom recovery and it boot looped my phone (as well as everyone else's phones).

As best I know your only option is to restore phone to stock and take upgrade, then root, install recovery and all your apps/settings. Its a beeyotch right?
Last edited by mk3; 2nd June 2014 at 04:47 AM.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread