Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,375 Members 45,305 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] cannot seem to flash recovery?

Tip us?

rm_2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] cannot seem to flash recovery?

i am having a weird issue. i have an htc one m8t (china mobile lte version)

i can fastboot-flash all kinds of recoveries, i always get a "success" message, but then, when i enter recovery from hboot, i always get this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	VIDEO0005_0000000649.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	2774300

and it returns to hboot. i am beginning to suspect something else is wrong ... but what?

paul chambers
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_2 View Post
i am having a weird issue. i have an htc one m8t (china mobile lte version)

i can fastboot-flash all kinds of recoveries, i always get a "success" message, but then, when i enter recovery from hboot, i always get this:

Attachment 2774300

and it returns to hboot. i am beginning to suspect something else is wrong ... but what?
Have you tried flashing a rom from recovery?
Regards Paul

rm_2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul chambers View Post
Have you tried flashing a rom from recovery?
nope. i might have mis-flashed something else before. but now, i cannot even ENTER recovery. no matter which recovery i flash, when i tried to go HBOOT -> recovery, i get the screen above and then it goes back to HBOOT.

paul chambers
Old
(Last edited by paul chambers; 1st June 2014 at 09:55 AM.)
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
nope. i might have mis-flashed something else before. but now, i cannot even ENTER recovery. no matter which recovery i flash, when i tried to go HBOOT -> recovery, i get the screen above and then it goes back to HBOOT.
Might i suggest you download the all in one tool and flash TWRP from that. Is your PC seeing your phone still. Or if you are ok with adb use that to flash TWRP. To help properly we need more info on how you flashed it what method ETC.
Regards Paul

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2891
OP, do NOT flash a toolkit - learn to do it yourself. Toolkits are for the lazy as you never learn what you're doing or what to do if things go wrong...

Now, I'm thinking you've flashed a recovery not designed for your phone as the Chinese M8 is different from the others. You'll need to find a custom recovery for your device. What's the model code btw? For edxample, the EU handset is the M8_UL
HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 1.54.401.10 (KOT49H) | HBOOT: 3.16.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15G_20.18m.4096.07L | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB *** PENDING ***

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

rm_2
Old
(Last edited by rm_2; 1st June 2014 at 04:23 PM.) Reason: missed some info
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
OP, do NOT flash a toolkit - learn to do it yourself. Toolkits are for the lazy as you never learn what you're doing or what to do if things go wrong...

Now, I'm thinking you've flashed a recovery not designed for your phone as the Chinese M8 is different from the others. You'll need to find a custom recovery for your device. What's the model code btw? For edxample, the EU handset is the M8_UL
well, i don't have a standalone windows anyway. macos and linux only.

fastboot sees this phone:

$ fastboot getvar modelid
modelid: 0P6B50000

$ fastboot getvar cid
cid: HTCCN701

i have found a guy on one of the electronics markets who says he can flash it back to stock ... let's see ...

does anybody know just HOW different this phone is? is it just the radio? superficially, the specs seem the same ...

it seems the model it goes by on the market is m8t, getvar all has these:

INFOproduct: m8_tl
INFOversion-bootloader: 3.17.0.0000
INFOversion-baseband: 1.15.213311192.30G

EddyOS
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2891
Quote:
well, i don't have a standalone windows anyway. macos and linux only.

fastboot sees this phone:

$ fastboot getvar modelid
modelid: 0P6B50000

$ fastboot getvar cid
cid: HTCCN701

i have found a guy on one of the electronics markets who says he can flash it back to stock ... let's see ...

does anybody know just HOW different this phone is? is it just the radio? superficially, the specs seem the same ...
If you do fastboot getvar all it should have the model type in there...if not, it'll be at the top of the HBOOT screen
HTC One M8 (Gunmetal Grey) 16GB
ROM: 1.54.401.10 (KOT49H) | HBOOT: 3.16.0.0000 S-OFF | Recovery: Stock | Baseband: 1.16.2133156.UA15G_20.18m.4096.07L | Kernel: Stock | CID: HTC__001

OnePlus One (Sandstone Black) 64GB *** PENDING ***

If you have a question, great - but DO NOT PM ME WITH IT!!! | [GUIDE] Return your EU M8 to 100% Stock (S-OFF Required) | [GUIDE] Return your OPO to 100% Stock

rm_2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyOS View Post
If you do fastboot getvar all it should have the model type in there...if not, it'll be at the top of the HBOOT screen
yep. it's m8_tl

ashyx
Old
Thanks Meter 37
Have you tried just booting a custom recovery, fastboot boot whatever_recovery.img ?

rm_2
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default CMW-based recovery for m8t

i couldn't get the guy to give me his collection of factory- and OTA roms, but i found this:

http://pan.baidu.com/s/1qWjnqaw

which contains a CWM-based recovery (in chinese ... ) that works on the m8t (m8_tl), and a htcm8root.zip

fastboot flash recovery $RECOVERY

and then, in recover

install ZIP from SD card

this seems to work for root ...