5,815,133 Members 38,846 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How to force the M8 to output MHL HDMI at full 60hz?

Tip us?

captainreynolds
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Default How to force the M8 to output MHL HDMI at full 60hz?

I've been playing around with the One M8's MHL HDMI out capabilities on several TVs:

It seems to normally want to output at 30hz on most if not all HDTVs. Not sure why, but this essentially really slows down the OS and it only runs at most 30fps, with noticeable lag in display and with any touch inputs. However, I plugged it into one of my computer monitors last night and it ran at full speed (I assume 60hz, not sure). It may be that my monitor simply does not provide the option for 30hz, but I don't think that is it as it is 30hz capable.

Does anyone know how I can force the HTC One M8 to output at full speed (60 Hz) on all HDTVs? Could kernel support allow us to change whether or not the One mirrors the displays, or the output resolution/refresh rate?

combatmedic870
Old
Thanks Meter 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainreynolds View Post
I've been playing around with the One M8's MHL HDMI out capabilities on several TVs:

It seems to normally want to output at 30hz on most if not all HDTVs. Not sure why, but this essentially really slows down the OS and it only runs at most 30fps, with noticeable lag in display and with any touch inputs. However, I plugged it into one of my computer monitors last night and it ran at full speed (I assume 60hz, not sure). It may be that my monitor simply does not provide the option for 30hz, but I don't think that is it as it is 30hz capable.

Does anyone know how I can force the HTC One M8 to output at full speed (60 Hz) on all HDTVs? Could kernel support allow us to change whether or not the One mirrors the displays, or the output resolution/refresh rate?
Bump bump, im interested in this as well.

captainreynolds
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by combatmedic870 View Post
Bump bump, im interested in this as well.
Flar2, who makes the elemental kernel for our phone, is checking it out now! In the meantime, if anyone else has anything to add please do!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to captainreynolds For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

captainreynolds
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 82
Why is this Question marked as answered? It isn't yet!

ThatsTheJoke
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I know I'm bumping a sort of old post at this point but this thread is still very relevant. I just picked up a standard powered 5-Pin MHL Adapter for my M8 so I could hook it up to my 37 inch 120Hz Samsung TV, however I'm running into the exact same issue where it's running at 30Hz and causing everything basically run at half speed and have huge input lag. But same as captainreynolds, the moment I plug the adapter into my ASUS monitor, everything runs at 60Hz with no problems what so ever, pretty damn annoying since I'd rather be playing games on the big TV rather than my PC monitor.