[Q] move to anther d3?

OP wkearney99

23rd May 2014, 02:49 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Bethesda, MD
Thanks Meter: 1

51 posts
More
In preparation for upgrading to a Moto X I had them replace my wife's old D3 (with another D3, if you can picture the dusty warehouse that must have THESE spares..) Anyway, what's the more straight-forward way to move from the old one to the new one? The only thing wrong with the old one was a flaky keyboard, so it's accessible for the process.

The old one is rooted and has a 32gb microSD card. Both the old & new are running 5.7.906

The one thing I haven't done yet is activated the new phone (did the four corners green guy skip). The SIM card is not inserted in either phone at the moment. I'm loathe to spend the likely HOUR on the phone it'd take with Verizon and then if the new phone "doesn't work" I'd have to do the dance all over again. Let me get the phone set up first...

I thought I was headed in the right direction by first rooting the new one (via the motofail method) which seemed to work. I then bought and loaded the $3 CWM tool. I used that to create a backup on the old phone to it's SD card. Also, seemed to work. Also downloaded the CWM app onto the new phone, powered off, brought the SD card over, powered up, used the app to reboot into recover and reloaded the backup. Seemed OK. Lots of stuff 'looked like' it was present and usable. I wanted to then go and whack out the bloatware.

But now the new phone reboots. Not right away, it takes a few minutes but then, with no messages on the screen, it just spontaneously reboots. It only seems to do this if the USB cable is connected and USB debugging mode is selected.

It does not reboot unless USB debugging is enabled.

Ok, so perhaps I've missed some critical steps or something. It's been a while since I had to do this sort of thing and this is a pretty old phone. I'm inclined to think there's and ADB driver issue here. But I'd like to be sure to head in the right direction before making a bigger mess.

Suggestions?
24th May 2014, 01:25 AM   |  #2  
OP Member
Flag Bethesda, MD

51 posts
More
Random reboots after moving CWM backup to new D3?
Just when I thought everything was done... bam, it reboots randomly.

I had a D3 with a flaky keyboard. Got a replacement since it's been covered. Going to decommission it next week with a Moto X.

Got the replacement D3 (hoped for a D4 but they STILL have stock of replacement D3's). Old one was rooted and had the D3 Bootstrap app on it. Booted into CWM and made a backup to a blank 4GB microSD card.

Rooted the new D3 using motofail. Loaded the D3 Bootstrap app and restored the backup made from the old Droid3. Seems to 'take'.

But then I started getting random reboots. Thought it might be just related to the USB debugging, so I turned that off. Seemed to stop rebooting.... for a while. STFW said WiFi networks can be problematic, so I deleted all the old networks and turned off WiFi. No love, still reboots.

In fact, while I've been typing this it's rebooted twice.

Ok, so before I subject myself to the utter nonsense that is Verizon support, what steps should I take to narrow down whether it's an issue with the phone or the way I did the restoration to it?

HELP!
2nd June 2014, 06:35 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 0

1 posts
More
I'm thinking I would have taken the old motherboard, and slapped it in the new phone. Just an idea....
2nd June 2014, 11:40 AM   |  #4  
OP Member
Flag Bethesda, MD

51 posts
More
Thumbs up
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougnsalem

I'm thinking I would have taken the old motherboard, and slapped it in the new phone. Just an idea....

Given it was insured there wasn't really any need, other than the possible quicker turn-around. They sent the replacement's replacement in just two days more, so it wasn't a big wait. That one has been fine.

Meanwhile the Moto X was shipped Fedex signature-required, and the driver didn't wait long enough for me to get out of the shower. Nor did they respond to a phone request asking the truck to circle back around later. So presumably it'll be delivered later today.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
cwm, droid 3, migrate, root
Previous Thread Next Thread