Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,806,934 Members 37,701 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Cracked glass, what tot do?

Tip us?

Fraxon
Old
(Last edited by Fraxon; 5th May 2014 at 12:09 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 115

DONATE TO ME
Default [Q] Cracked glass, what tot do?

I dropped my LG yesterday and its cracked. LCD is working. Touchscreen isn't. I want to replace it myself. Do I need to buy incl the LCD, or just the glass?

Is this enough?http://m.ebay.nl/itm/221382396949?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

XxZombiePikachu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxon View Post
I dropped my LG yesterday and its cracked. LCD is working. Touchscreen isn't. I want to replace it myself. Do I need to buy incl the LCD, or just the glass?

Is this enough?http://m.ebay.nl/itm/221382396949?nav=SEARCH

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
no you need to buy the one that includes the lcd, it's practically impossible to replace only the digitizer alone and you will see this when you replace your screen I should know because I've done so already (bought only digitizer then replacing broke lcd and had to buy lcd+digitizer)

votinh
Old
Thanks Meter 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu View Post
no you need to buy the one that includes the lcd, it's practically impossible to replace only the digitizer alone and you will see this when you replace your screen I should know because I've done so already (bought only digitizer then replacing broke lcd and had to buy lcd+digitizer)
Is it easy to DIY?
I'm debating whether I should send my unit to LG for replacement, which probably costs $150-$200 or buy the lcd+digitizer on the market (costs around $130-$140 I believe) and do it at home. Don't know if it worth the risk.
Official CM10.1 Nightly @ 1000MHz NOOKcolor
Offiical CM11 KK Nightly on Kindle Fire 1st-Gen
Rooted Kindle Fire HD 8.9" w/ Nova Launcher
Virgin JB 4.3 on Sony Xperia Tablet Z
Rooted stock-ROM KK 4.4.2 on LG-D800

Virgin Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - LOST
Slimbean 8.1 on Galaxy S2 i777 - LOST

XxZombiePikachu
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,422
Well if you want to know the process there are video tutorial on YouTube that you can watch and if it looks like you can do it yourself then go for it, I did it myself the first time and it wasn't difficult but I have experience in doing this from previous devices

Sent from my LG-D800 running stock kk, rooted with philz using XDA app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XxZombiePikachu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

levchikb
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Hey @XxZombiePikachu

I have also cracked my screen - single crack, but digitizer stopped working in lower half of the screen (where crack is).

I have a question WHICH lcd/digitizer/glass did you buy (from whom), and is the LCD the same quality as the original?

For me it is very important to have OEM LG screen - I love the G2 screen and don't want to buy some Chinese knock-off.

Is the brightness same as original???

Please tell. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxZombiePikachu View Post
Well if you want to know the process there are video tutorial on YouTube that you can watch and if it looks like you can do it yourself then go for it, I did it myself the first time and it wasn't difficult but I have experience in doing this from previous devices

Sent from my LG-D800 running stock kk, rooted with philz using XDA app
Note 2 (lost S Pen)

XxZombiePikachu
Old
(Last edited by XxZombiePikachu; 2nd June 2014 at 03:16 PM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by levchikb View Post
Hey @XxZombiePikachu

I have also cracked my screen - single crack, but digitizer stopped working in lower half of the screen (where crack is).

I have a question WHICH lcd/digitizer/glass did you buy (from whom), and is the LCD the same quality as the original?

For me it is very important to have OEM LG screen - I love the G2 screen and don't want to buy some Chinese knock-off.

Is the brightness same as original???

Please tell. Thanks!
well I had bought it on ebay from power_gamer_usa1, it turned out to be just like original it felt/looked the same and brightness functioned like it should(make sure you buy lcd+digitizer together I know you can buy separate digitizer but it is not worth it the replacement process is far too difficult and you will end up breaking the original lcd and will need to buy another replacement take my word because this was my mistake and I have a lot of experience it taking apart electronics), but of course when buying from ebay you have to be careful and I had just bought one that had original logos/mentioned it was oem and took a risk; have been satisfied with it since then(I bought in December 2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to XxZombiePikachu For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]