Suddenly Getting SD Card Unexpectedly Removed Error

1st June 2014, 10:29 PM   |  #11  
Flag Pottstown
Thanks Meter: 344

1,241 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart0001

I'll give that a go but why has it been working fine for over a month whilst exFAT if that is now the cause?

I have been through many a Samsung phones and always had corrupt sd cards in exfat. One day I saw a thread that said convert to fat32 and have never had a problem since.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to Android The Greek For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd June 2014, 09:52 AM   |  #12  
OP Senior Member
Flag Hampton
Thanks Meter: 1,212

2,294 posts
Donate to Me
More
Thanks for all the advice.

I could read the card in recovery but it failed to format there.

I tried to format in windows but my only options were NTFS or exFAT, no FAT32. But this failed anyway also.

Downloaded a SD format application but this said the card was write protected and to move the lock switch, obviously MicroSD has no switch like standard SD.

So next I deleted all the files on the card and ran h2testw test. This failed and reported card is probably faulty.

Then I checked the contents of the card again and all the original files were back again, so it's definitely 'Donald Ducked'. I was able to get all my files backed up and fortunately I had my photos already thanks to Dropbox & G+.

So I will now look at getting MyMemory to replace it but my fear is they will want me to return the faulty card but it has sensitive information on it that I can't delete. Any ideas on how I can wipe it?
2nd June 2014, 01:28 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 39

288 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart0001

Thanks for all the advice.

I could read the card in recovery but it failed to format there.

I tried to format in windows but my only options were NTFS or exFAT, no FAT32. But this failed anyway also.

Downloaded a SD format application but this said the card was write protected and to move the lock switch, obviously MicroSD has no switch like standard SD.

So next I deleted all the files on the card and ran h2testw test. This failed and reported card is probably faulty.

Then I checked the contents of the card again and all the original files were back again, so it's definitely 'Donald Ducked'. I was able to get all my files backed up and fortunately I had my photos already thanks to Dropbox & G+.

So I will now look at getting MyMemory to replace it but my fear is they will want me to return the faulty card but it has sensitive information on it that I can't delete. Any ideas on how I can wipe it?

How did you attach the card to the pc? Try a usb card reader and then try again. If still problems download mini partition tool (Google) and delete the partition. You can then wipe it properly.
2nd June 2014, 03:48 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 5

33 posts
I reformatted the SD card from the settings within the phone and since then it been working fine :\

make sure you're using 2.0USB also..
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
one m8, sd card error
Previous Thread Next Thread