Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,731,360 Members 53,817 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Moto G unlock bootloader

Tip us?

sgirard1991
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Default Moto G unlock bootloader

So I recently picked up a Moto G on Boost Mobile. I read that it is supported for unlocking the bootloader.
However, when I try I am presented with a error message telling me that my phone isn't supported.

I need this done in order to root.

Anyone got any ideas??

Sent from my XT1031 using XDA Free mobile app
-------------
Current Devices:
Moto G (Boost Mobile) Unlocked bootloader, TWRP Recovery, different ROM every few days
------------
Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Unlocked bootloader, CWM Touch Recovery, and whatever ROM I feel like using... (Retired)
16GB Blue Samsung Galaxy S III (Verizon)... With a different ROM every couple days.... (sold)
Custom Built PC- Running a tweaked, de-bloated Windows 8 (sold)
Dell Studio Laptop- Running Ubuntu 13.04 (sold)
-------------

rezoundness
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgirard1991 View Post
So I recently picked up a Moto G on Boost Mobile. I read that it is supported for unlocking the bootloader.
However, when I try I am presented with a error message telling me that my phone isn't supported.

Anyone got any ideas??

only the developers editions purchased from google or moto directly can be unlocked for the bootloader.

sgirard1991
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Well that sucks.

-------------
Current Devices:
Moto G (Boost Mobile) Unlocked bootloader, TWRP Recovery, different ROM every few days
------------
Verizon Galaxy Nexus, Unlocked bootloader, CWM Touch Recovery, and whatever ROM I feel like using... (Retired)
16GB Blue Samsung Galaxy S III (Verizon)... With a different ROM every couple days.... (sold)
-------------

eemgee
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoundness View Post
only the developers editions purchased from google or moto directly can be unlocked for the bootloader.
Well that's not true, my tesco one can be unlocked and as far as I know so can Amazon's.

lightningdude
Old
Thanks Meter 277
I've unlocked a Boost Mobile Moto G. Make sure there are no spaces in the unlock data, and check the Motorola forums. They may be having server trouble.

Sent from my XT1028 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to lightningdude For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

highspeedfelon
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgirard1991 View Post

Anyone got any ideas??

I had to wait a day to be able to unlock my boost Moto G and also I copy pasted the key into a text file and made sure it was correct and then copy pasted it to get the unlock key.
The Following User Says Thank You to highspeedfelon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sirwired
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezoundness View Post
Untrue. Thousands of people by this point have unlocked Boost Moto G units. (Why Boost allows this is quite baffling, but nevertheless they do.)
The Following User Says Thank You to sirwired For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

sgirard1991
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
I copy/paste into notepad as well.

I'll try again later tonight, thanks!

-------------
Current Devices:
------------
-------------

sgirard1991
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 20
Now, after I unlock/root. Anyone wanna suggest a cool Rom? I don't want cyanogen or slim or anything like that. Something different & unique...

-------------
Current Devices:
------------
-------------

rezoundness
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 70
If you aio can't unlock

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk