Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,696 Members 37,523 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

No more Samsung. Which manufacturers aren't as slimy as Samsung & Sony about rooting?

Tip us?

drew.stevens
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Cool No more Samsung. Which manufacturers aren't as slimy as Samsung & Sony about rooting?

Hello all and welcome to my first thread, nice to be part of the community.

Now then I've Rooted my SG4 and flashed various ROMs and had lots of fun doing so.
Unfortunately for me, that device was stolen and I was given a new one.
Upon flashing that device I had realized this one had security I wasnt familiar with, KNOX.

(Not a post asking about the KNOX or Galaxy)

Anyhow upon further research of this unknown function, it is the devils bane to all Samsung rooters.
I find the creation of KNOX enough to encourage me to not purchase another Samsung device.

And now the plot unfolds

Id like a powerful phone that I can root with little consequence (Other than bricking or corrupting my phone)

While rooting voids warranties, at least it was possible to reset the counters in the past. (B.K)

The LG G2/3, Nexus 5 & HTC One seem to be the best devices fitting my criteria.

What phone would you choose for your rooting fun?

eddyhall
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I have faith that someone will find a way to work around KNOX. I've been exploring different routes to getting root on my GS4 with 4.4.2. I never would have updated if I would have known. I guess I should have researched Kit Kat a little more.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

drew.stevens
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyhall View Post
I have faith that someone will find a way to work around KNOX. I've been exploring different routes to getting root on my GS4 with 4.4.2. I never would have updated if I would have known. I guess I should have researched Kit Kat a little more.

Sent from my SCH-R970C using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Well I would stick it out with Samsung, but since it won't end with Knox, I'm jumping ship now.

I'm leaning a lot towards the g3 when it comes out. Same processor as the s5 but better everywhere else.

I just wonder if LG, or HTC have contingencies like Samsung does.

Tangodown78
Old
Thanks Meter 10
well thats all very sad. Samsung is turning into the new apple, and if LG lags on support, IDK about Sony phones never considered buying one.

That just leaves what HTC and Motorola?

ShadowLea
Old
(Last edited by ShadowLea; 2nd June 2014 at 12:01 PM.)
Thanks Meter 740
If you want something that will remain anti-root security free, and is both powerfull and affordable, as well as has massive official and custom developement support, the Nexus is the obvious choice.
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

Naddict
Old
Forum Moderator
Thanks Meter 13666
Sorry folks, there are already several areas for this..http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1620179 or http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2229761 are just a couple.
Every time you don't use search, a kitten, bunny, baby turtle, and fuzzy Harp Seal are killed.

Read the Rules! -- Search Before You Post! -- Learn about XDA -- Need A Moderators Help? -- Get the Most out of XDA! -- Curious about GPL?
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe