Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,734 Members 42,807 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC Desire SD Card not recognized at all; several fixes tried

Tip us?

fpdroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] HTC Desire SD Card not recognized at all; several fixes tried

Hi everyone,

First I'd like to say that this is my first post so please be lenient if I make mistakes

Now, the problem:

My HTC Desire won't recognize external SD cards. I've tried many fixes as you'll see below, and none of them have worked. I am not sure now whether this is a hardware or software issue; any advice would be great.

It all started when I found the internal storage was very low and there was an app called Link2SD that could improve my storage space. So I successfully rooted my phone and started using the app. I created some links and freed some space, and all was well until one day I got a notification saying 'SD card unexpectedly removed'. Since then, the phone hasn't recognized a single one of the 4 micro SD cards I've tried.

I've tried several reboots, 4 different cards and formatting the cards but none of these worked - the SD card still wouldn't be recognized. I also tried to mount it through recovery (ClockworkMod v2.5.0.7) and I got the following error:
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0) (No such file or directory) Error mounting SDCARD:!

I've also tried the USB Brick fix (fastboot oem enableqxdm 0 then fastboot oem eraseconfig followed by fastboot reboot). All the commands seem to go through successfully, but this didn't fix the SD card issue.

As a last resort, I downloaded the RUU for my phone from HTC and flashed the ROM to reset it fully to stock, hoping this would fix my problems. After the phone rebooted, I checked and surprise, surprise - the SD card still isn't recognized.

I can't find any more fixes for this so I am assuming it is a hardware issue, but any info on a software fix I haven't yet tried would be great.

Again, I would be grateful for any help as I've had this problem for several weeks now and it's getting very annoying.

Thanks!

Phone Details:
Model: HTC Desire (Bravo) A8181
Android Version: Froyo 2.2
Baseband version: 32.48.00.32U_5.11.05.14
Build number: 2.25.771.1
Kernel version: 2.6.32.5-g5d39305

HBOOT details:
BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.93.1002
MICROP-051d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
RADIO-5.11.05.14
Aug 10 2010, 17:52:18

abaaaabbbb63
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpdroid View Post
Hi everyone,

First I'd like to say that this is my first post so please be lenient if I make mistakes

Now, the problem:

My HTC Desire won't recognize external SD cards. I've tried many fixes as you'll see below, and none of them have worked. I am not sure now whether this is a hardware or software issue; any advice would be great.

It all started when I found the internal storage was very low and there was an app called Link2SD that could improve my storage space. So I successfully rooted my phone and started using the app. I created some links and freed some space, and all was well until one day I got a notification saying 'SD card unexpectedly removed'. Since then, the phone hasn't recognized a single one of the 4 micro SD cards I've tried.

I've tried several reboots, 4 different cards and formatting the cards but none of these worked - the SD card still wouldn't be recognized. I also tried to mount it through recovery (ClockworkMod v2.5.0.7) and I got the following error:
E:Can't mount /dev/block/mmcblk0p1 (or /dev/block/mmcblk0) (No such file or directory) Error mounting SDCARD:!

I've also tried the USB Brick fix (fastboot oem enableqxdm 0 then fastboot oem eraseconfig followed by fastboot reboot). All the commands seem to go through successfully, but this didn't fix the SD card issue.

As a last resort, I downloaded the RUU for my phone from HTC and flashed the ROM to reset it fully to stock, hoping this would fix my problems. After the phone rebooted, I checked and surprise, surprise - the SD card still isn't recognized.

I can't find any more fixes for this so I am assuming it is a hardware issue, but any info on a software fix I haven't yet tried would be great.

Again, I would be grateful for any help as I've had this problem for several weeks now and it's getting very annoying.

Thanks!

Phone Details:
Model: HTC Desire (Bravo) A8181
Android Version: Froyo 2.2
Baseband version: 32.48.00.32U_5.11.05.14
Build number: 2.25.771.1
Kernel version: 2.6.32.5-g5d39305

HBOOT details:
BRAVO PVT4 SHIP S-OFF
HBOOT-6.93.1002
MICROP-051d
TOUCH PANEL-SYNW0101
RADIO-5.11.05.14
Aug 10 2010, 17:52:18
Try flashing 4ext recovery and using the USB unbrick option it has.

fpdroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaaaabbbb63 View Post
Try flashing 4ext recovery and using the USB unbrick option it has.
Thanks for the reply; I flashed 4ext and tried the USB unbrick option. It completed the steps but after I rebooted, the SD card still isn't recognised

abaaaabbbb63
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2,984
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpdroid View Post
Thanks for the reply; I flashed 4ext and tried the USB unbrick option. It completed the steps but after I rebooted, the SD card still isn't recognised
Then it might be a problem with the sd card reader itself. Hardware failure.
The Following User Says Thank You to abaaaabbbb63 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

fpdroid
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaaaabbbb63 View Post
Then it might be a problem with the sd card reader itself. Hardware failure.
Thanks again, I guess I'll have to get the slot replaced. I didn't touch the SD card a single time while it was working, so I'm confused about how the slot could have broken. I dont remember dropping the phone either. Any ideas?

R.ik
Old
Thanks Meter 5
This might be a little late for a response, but I have this problem too every once in a while. For me reformatting the sdcard or putting in a different sdcard solves the problem.