Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,869 Members 39,444 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] CyanogenMod Installer Update Issues

Tip us?
 
emike09
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Aug 2011
Question [Q] CyanogenMod Installer Update Issues

Hey all,
I apologize if there is a thread for this already. I have the Sprint GS3 that I made the terrible, terrible mistake of upgrading to the stock 4.3 to give it a try and see if I like it.

After some scary moments trying to go back to the beloved CyanogenMod and bricking the device, I found I could install Cyanogenmod using their self-installer after restoring the phone to stock in Kies.

I'm running Cyanogenmod now, but there is an update available and when I try to let it update, it reboots into recovery, gives the sad broken android graphic, and reboots. I've not been able to install anything ROM related since.

Is Knox preventing the update, and is there a workaround to get the update to install without wiping the device back to stock?
 
Mr. Struck
Old
#2  
Mr. Struck's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 291
Posts: 390
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by emike09 View Post
Hey all,
I apologize if there is a thread for this already. I have the Sprint GS3 that I made the terrible, terrible mistake of upgrading to the stock 4.3 to give it a try and see if I like it.

After some scary moments trying to go back to the beloved CyanogenMod and bricking the device, I found I could install Cyanogenmod using their self-installer after restoring the phone to stock in Kies.

I'm running Cyanogenmod now, but there is an update available and when I try to let it update, it reboots into recovery, gives the sad broken android graphic, and reboots. I've not been able to install anything ROM related since.

Is Knox preventing the update, and is there a workaround to get the update to install without wiping the device back to stock?

I will give you my two cents. First, rooting and installing custom ROM's should not be done using magical wonderful "one click" processes or apps that will do it for you. The Cyanogen Installer was a huge disservice to the rooted community in my opinion. Users need to get their hands dirty when rooting, so that they know how to work through problems forwards and backwards. That being said, I would highly recommend following this procedure to make sure your phone is rooted properly and running the correct recovery (Philz Touch, which is unbelievably awesome); my friend @goku2778 did a very nice job putting this tutorial together:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2596697

After that, just download the ROM (or ROM's, I like to run various ones at any given time) from the proper sources, and flash them yourself.
 
emike09
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 11
Join Date: Aug 2011
I'm against one-click stuff myself. I've been rooting and running custom roms since my original Evo 4g.

If bricking my device after trying to roll back to a custom rom after Knox did it's business, and then recovering back isn't getting my hands dirty, then I don't know what is. I've spent plenty of time in adb. This issue though has me boggled. Why can the installer put a custom rom on when attempts to flash a custom rom (usually run nightlies) brick the device?

Thanks for the link, I'm taking a look into it now.
The Following User Says Thank You to emike09 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Mr. Struck
Old
#4  
Mr. Struck's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 291
Posts: 390
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by emike09 View Post
I'm against one-click stuff myself. I've been rooting and running custom roms since my original Evo 4g.

If bricking my device after trying to roll back to a custom rom after Knox did it's business, and then recovering back isn't getting my hands dirty, then I don't know what is. I've spent plenty of time in adb. This issue though has me boggled. Why can the installer put a custom rom on when attempts to flash a custom rom (usually run nightlies) brick the device?

Thanks for the link, I'm taking a look into it now.
Didn't mean to imply that you weren't getting your hands dirty in general, just the way I word that rant every time I give it! My understanding is that there are compatibility issues between the CM installer and Knox, so yes, that is probably the basis of your problem. The combination of Philz Touch recovery and SuperSU that @goku2778 uses in his tutorial should solve your problems, it is the combination I have been recommending to VM and Boost users on Android Forums for a while now, with great success.
 
Deucalion29710
Old
#5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 1
Posts: 10
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Great Falls, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Struck View Post
Didn't mean to imply that you weren't getting your hands dirty in general, just the way I word that rant every time I give it! My understanding is that there are compatibility issues between the CM installer and Knox, so yes, that is probably the basis of your problem. The combination of Philz Touch recovery and SuperSU that @goku2778 uses in his tutorial should solve your problems, it is the combination I have been recommending to VM and Boost users on Android Forums for a while now, with great success.
If memory serves there is a zip out there somewhere that flashes Knox apps away. Furthermore if it's a Boost or VM device you have to edit the updater script to make a Sprint ROM flash successfully.
The Following User Says Thank You to Deucalion29710 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Mr. Struck
Old
#6  
Mr. Struck's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 291
Posts: 390
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Longmont, Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deucalion29710 View Post
If memory serves there is a zip out there somewhere that flashes Knox apps away. Furthermore if it's a Boost or VM device you have to edit the updater script to make a Sprint ROM flash successfully.
The DeSamsungnizer zip is part of the tutorial by @goku2778, but keep in mind that this just takes care of the Knox apps, the actual bootloader is never ever going away unfortunately. And yes, for any users of VM or Boost who are reading this, there is extra work involved once the custom recovery has been installed and root has been successfully achieved.
 
ericandbailey
Old
#7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Jun 2014
Default Galaxy s3 on Virgin Mobile running cm11

I recently upgraded my s2 which was running cyanogenmod 11. I rooted and flashed everything myself with no difficulty. But after I switched that phone to an s3 I have had a ton of issues. My s3 was for Virgin Mobile (sgh-I747M) and nothing supported it. I was able to root and install clockworkmod with a little bit of difficulty. It wasn't until I tried installing cyanogenmod that it got really tough. Flashing would fail and at that point I didn't have an os so I thought I downloaded stock but was wrong when I hard bricked my phone. Anyways to the point. I ended up using the cyanogenmod installer which worked perfectly fine but now I can't update or download any nightlys. I'm not sure if it is because cyanogen had to install a custom kernel or not. When I go into system updates it says "your system is up to date. There is only one button that just checks for updates. Does anyone know how to fix this and allow me to install nightlys?

- Eric

Tags
cyanogenmod, installer, knox, update
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Slide Dial Replacement Dialer Lets You Make Calls from Anywhere

If you frequently make phone calls, your dialer (aka phone app)is one of the … more

Navigate with Your Samsung Gear 2 Using DMA Navi Watch

Whether you’re travelling to a new destination or exploring some previously … more

Xperia Z1 Stereo Speaker Mod, Cell Phone Unlocking Legal Again! – XDA Developer TV

Cell Phone Unlocking is legal again!! That and much … more