[Q] CWM doesn't show back/restore options

Search This thread

mtbsoft.

Jul 15, 2010
Perth
Edit title: [Q] CWM doesn't show backUP/restore options

I have an N9005 which I rooted using Chainfire's excellent CF-Auto-Root, I have since updated it to 4.4.2.

I've decided finally which ROM I want to switch to (Assassin) and so was trying to make a backup of my current ROM. It was then I found that all my recent on-line nandroid backups had failed (they worked about a month ago) so I booted into recovery to run a backup there and found that there is no backup restore option listed!!!

According to ROM Manager, I have CWM 6.0.4.8 installed (I've tried updating it with ROM Manager - no change) but it only lists six options...

Android system recovery <3e>
KOT49H.N9005XXUENB4

Volume up/down to move highlight;
power button to select.

reboot system now
apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe date/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

{Android on back with red ! triangle}

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC....
Applied the CSC-code : VAU
Successfully applied multi-CSC.

Can anyone suggest what is going on. It looks similar to CWM that I'm used to from previous devices, but it says nothing about CWM when booting into recovery. If it weren't from ROM Manager, I'd guess it isn't CWM.

Can anyone suggest how I can get the correct options in recovery? Thoughts, suggestions?

Edit: managed to get online nandroid backup working by reinstalling busybox but still would like recovery working properly before trying to install the new ROM.

Last edited:

4aces

Feb 16, 2010
Edit title: [Q] CWM doesn't show backUP/restore options

I have an N9005 which I rooted using Chainfire's excellent CF-Auto-Root, I have since updated it to 4.4.2.

I've decided finally which ROM I want to switch to (Assassin) and so was trying to make a backup of my current ROM. It was then I found that all my recent on-line nandroid backups had failed (they worked about a month ago) so I booted into recovery to run a backup there and found that there is no backup restore option listed!!!

According to ROM Manager, I have CWM 6.0.4.8 installed (I've tried updating it with ROM Manager - no change) but it only lists six options...

Android system recovery <3e>
KOT49H.N9005XXUENB4

Volume up/down to move highlight;
power button to select.

reboot system now
apply update from ADB
apply update from external storage
wipe date/factory reset
wipe cache partition
apply update from cache

{Android on back with red ! triangle}

# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC....
Applied the CSC-code : VAU
Successfully applied multi-CSC.

Can anyone suggest what is going on. It looks similar to CWM that I'm used to from previous devices, but it says nothing about CWM when booting into recovery. If it weren't from ROM Manager, I'd guess it isn't CWM.

Can anyone suggest how I can get the correct options in recovery? Thoughts, suggestions?

Edit: managed to get online nandroid backup working by reinstalling busybox but still would like recovery working properly before trying to install the new ROM.
Just try to flash CWM in Odin again. Use XDA search and type in N9005 CWM.

Just a little suggestion...don't use restore in recovery on CWM I heard it is not the best method to restore. Try titanium backup or something related. Also look for twrp(never used it but restore was working better I think) or Philz touch recovery which has nice settings and look(I'm on it right now haven't used restore though).

mtbsoft.

Jul 15, 2010
Perth
Hey, thanks for your replies.

Yeah, I finally came to the same conclusion, looks like Rom manager was lying to me all along, it had never actually installed CWM after I upgraded to kitkat. Even after I eventually pushed 6.0.4.7 onto the phone via odin, it still said I had 6.0.4.8 installed, not quite sure what is going on there but all is good now.