Is there a recovery for KitKat

Search This thread

spexwood

Feb 13, 2011
Not trying to highjack this thread, but I have 2 relevant questions.

1)
On my E980, I tried using Freegee to install recovery like back on Jelly bean. Every time I do this now, Freegee says an exception was thrown and that E98020g is not supported.

When I use this apk to install the kitkat recovery, everything works fine. Weird thing though is that afterwards, Freegee stops spitting these errors at me.

Any idea what's up with this? Should I stick with the Kitkat recovery, or now use Freegee to install its CWM/TWRP recovery?

2)
(continuing from question 1)
A few hours ago (and all day yesterday too), I did try flashing CWM through Freegee and it worked. I then used that recovery to flash the PhilZ Touch recovery, which I like more. With both the Freegee CWM and the PhilZ recovery, I can do pretty much everything just fine.
But... the problem is that at random times, the PhilZ recovery will cause me to get stuck in a Recovery bootloop. Basically, every bootup forces me into recovery whether I'm holding the proper buttons during bootup or not. (NOTE: I have yet to stick with the Freegee recovery versions long enough to see if they do this too, but some other people are reporting CWM bootloops).

So question 2 is this:
Is this being caused by PhilZ not being fully Kitkat compatible?
Will this Kitkat CWM Recovery not do this? Every time it happens, I must reflash my phone using the tot method and it's getting tiring... been trying to get things working for a day now.