Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,739,099 Members 45,934 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Already Rooted error with Weaksauce on Verizon One Max

Tip us?

jeremytanner
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Already Rooted error with Weaksauce on Verizon One Max

I've searched through multiple forums and can't find this repeated anywhere else. I was hoping to post it as a question on a Weaksauce thread, but all of them have been closed.

I am attempting to use Weaksauce on a Verizon HTC One Max with the 4.4.2 update. It tells me I'm already rooted, but I'm not.

I originally rooted the unit using Rumrunner back when it was on 4.3, and was successful. Then Verizon pushed an update out, and I lost root. However, it left SuperSU as an installed app in /system, which I cannot uninstall. SuperSU is not able to install binaries, and I can't remove it. But I'm guessing that, because it is an installed app, Weaksauce believes the unit to already be rooted. I have fastboot off, but restarting the unit doesn't do anything for the situation.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of the traces of the previous SuperSU, or whatever it takes to make Weaksauce run?

JBS976
Old
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremytanner View Post
I've searched through multiple forums and can't find this repeated anywhere else. I was hoping to post it as a question on a Weaksauce thread, but all of them have been closed.

I am attempting to use Weaksauce on a Verizon HTC One Max with the 4.4.2 update. It tells me I'm already rooted, but I'm not.

I originally rooted the unit using Rumrunner back when it was on 4.3, and was successful. Then Verizon pushed an update out, and I lost root. However, it left SuperSU as an installed app in /system, which I cannot uninstall. SuperSU is not able to install binaries, and I can't remove it. But I'm guessing that, because it is an installed app, Weaksauce believes the unit to already be rooted. I have fastboot off, but restarting the unit doesn't do anything for the situation.

Any ideas on how I can get rid of the traces of the previous SuperSU, or whatever it takes to make Weaksauce run?
If you used Rumrunner on 4.3 you should be S-OFF. If so then you can just flash TWRP and root no problem I believe
The Following User Says Thank You to JBS976 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jeremytanner
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBS976 View Post
If you used Rumrunner on 4.3 you should be S-OFF. If so then you can just flash TWRP and root no problem I believe
Okay, thanks!

musicman625
Old
Recognized Themer
Thanks Meter 321
Default none

In all likelyhood you have lost root, I believe that update also updates the bootloader. Download a root checker from the playstore and see if you still have root, if you don't you will have to start all over again. Your OTA was very likely not a rooted rom.

NEVER EVER EVER take an OTA update.. was I vague on that?
If you don't put a theme on your phone, it could put you to sleep with the stock UI, I can help you with that

jeremytanner
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman625 View Post
In all likelyhood you have lost root, I believe that update also updates the bootloader. Download a root checker from the playstore and see if you still have root, if you don't you will have to start all over again. Your OTA was very likely not a rooted rom.

NEVER EVER EVER take an OTA update.. was I vague on that?

Sorry, been a while since I checked back. They were actually correct, I still had root, but for whatever reason it didn't work until I added a custom recovery. Soon as I flashed the custom recovery, bam, it all worked again.
Tags
weaksauce