Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,770,713 Members 39,291 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Guide][P600 Only] - Guide to return to stock with links to files!

Tip us?

blinkingled
Old
Thanks Meter 10
This doesn't work for downgrading from CND2 - fails with SW REV. CHECK FAIL DEVICE: 3, BINARY:2. I was hoping to fix my ChromeCast issues with CND2 by downgrading.
The Following User Says Thank You to blinkingled For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iTelegraph
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jherring002 View Post
1. As far as anyone knows, Knox cannot be untripped.

2. If you Odin a FACTORY IMAGE it WILL NOT trip Knox. Only custom roms/rooting trips AFAIK.

3. I'm not 100% sure as I haven't tried, but I think I've seen discussions where the bootloader wasn't changed so you could go back. Again, I'm not 100% sure. Maybe we could get clarification from someone who tried.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Thanks so much for the clarifications. I guess using Odin isn't quite like flashing the BIOS on a PC, where you can flash any version, forward or back.

jherring002
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by iTelegraph View Post
Thanks so much for the clarifications. I guess using Odin isn't quite like flashing the BIOS on a PC, where you can flash any version, forward or back.
Nope. not that easy sometimes.

Galaxy nexus are super easy to go back n forth, but Samsung does something to thwart that. Thats the way I understand it anyways.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to jherring002 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

iTelegraph
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
1. As far as anyone knows, Knox cannot be untripped.

2. If you Odin a FACTORY IMAGE it WILL NOT trip Knox. Only custom roms/rooting trips AFAIK.

3. I'm not 100% sure as I haven't tried, but I think I've seen discussions where the bootloader wasn't changed so you could go back. Again, I'm not 100% sure. Maybe we could get clarification from someone who tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkingled View Post
This doesn't work for downgrading from CND2 - fails with SW REV. CHECK FAIL DEVICE: 3, BINARY:2. I was hoping to fix my ChromeCast issues with CND2 by downgrading.
Thank you ... you've saved me a lot of grief. I was thinking of trying CND2 and returning to BMK1 if I didn't like it.

Frankly, I'm really confused as to why it is ok to downgrade from a custom ROM, but not from a different factory ROM. Maybe once knox is tripped, the system no longer cares what you do?

hanspampel
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2213

DONATE TO ME
Custom Roms didnt flash bootloader. If you flash newer bootloaders, you can only go back to fws with the excact same bootloader, otherwise it failes in Odin.

Quote:

Thats not totally correct. Some failed flash updates via Kies trips knox too. Ive read about some devices.
Samsung Galaxy S4 - [Android 4.4.2] - Imperium Rom
Nexus 10 - [Android 4.4.4] - My "Factory Image"
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 - [Android 4.4.2] - my own xKat ROM
"My small Projects"

The Following User Says Thank You to hanspampel For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jherring002
Old
Thanks Meter 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanspampel View Post
Thats not totally correct. Some failed flash updates via Kies trips knox too. Ive read about some devices.
I haven't seen this. But I could see how that would happen. So just make sure you do it right? That would be the solution then? I'm not sure, I've never had a failed Odin unless I screwed something up

elzeus
Old
Thanks Meter 32
So theres no way to downgrade to 4.3 after going to the official 4.4.2? I'm getting nasty lines on screen sometimes while playing video.

iTelegraph
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanspampel View Post
Custom Roms didnt flash bootloader. If you flash newer bootloaders, you can only go back to fws with the excact same bootloader, otherwise it failes in Odin.
Thanks for the explanation. I'm new to Android, so I apologize if my next question just shows my ignorance but since there are people who need to back up from KitKat...

Would it be feasible for a dev to create a version of BMK1 that used the bootloader for CND2?

DirtDigler
Old
(Last edited by DirtDigler; 6th June 2014 at 06:02 PM.)
Thanks Meter 3
Here's how I fixed the "SW Rev. Check Fail. Device:3, Binary:2" issue. I was trying to take my device back to stock root.

I had to find the post KitKat tar file (which I did on the forum here) and flash that, it would not let me go back and use the file in this thread because I had already did an OTA update so you can't go backwards, at least I couldn't. I'll try to dig up the file I used and post it here.