Lenovo Officially Owns Motorola, Following ~$3 Billion Deal

Google is now officially no longer the owner American phone manufacturer … more

Microsoft Band Fitness Tracker Announced, Available

The wearable market has been around for a few years, with Pebble and Samsung smartwatches … more

Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

How to Play Music From Android Wear – XDA TV

Yesterday, we showed you how to do some advanced things with your Moto 360 quite easily … more

Scammed on craigslist, alternate IMEI methods

OP Red_Devil6

3rd June 2014, 01:54 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
So here's the story, i bought a HTC one M8 AT&T version on CL. I had the phone for a few days during which time i have unlocked bootloader, rooted and S-Off the phone. Well the douche i bought the phone from must have reported it lost or stolen because its blacklisted. I've searched google and numerous forums regarding a solution so i can continue to use this phone on either the same carrier or another. I know most here wont engage in this discussion in detail as it violates forum policy, BUT if ANYONE has a legit solution that i can go with PLEASE inbox me so im not stuck with a very expensive brick.
3rd June 2014, 02:01 AM   |  #2  
Minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 36

197 posts
More
If you paid via paypal or other online methods reverse the charges or file a dispute. No such luck if you paid via cash
3rd June 2014, 02:08 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingVinnie

If you paid via paypal or other online methods reverse the charges or file a dispute. No such luck if you paid via cash

Im talking about solutions with regards to the IMEI of the device i have
3rd June 2014, 02:16 AM   |  #4  
Flag Nampa
Thanks Meter: 2,621

6,869 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil6

Im talking about solutions with regards to the IMEI of the device i have

Only option is to use on a different carrier. Thats it. Or pay AT&T for the device, which nobody wants to do.
3rd June 2014, 02:20 AM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyinid

Only option is to use on a different carrier. Thats it. Or pay AT&T for the device, which nobody wants to do.

Can't use it on a different carrier since the share blacklists and i cant pay the phone off because its tied to someone elses account AND ill be damned if i pay double for the phone
3rd June 2014, 04:10 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 28

165 posts
Buy a parts phone with a clean imei and swap boards. Other than that, you are pooched. You could try calling AT&T and explaining that the customer is making a fraudulent claim.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd June 2014, 04:11 AM   |  #7  
Flag Pottstown
Thanks Meter: 344

1,242 posts
More
Quote:

Can't use it on a different carrier since the share blacklists and i cant pay the phone off because its tied to someone elses account AND ill be damned if i pay double for the phone

Dude must have been on At&t next. You get the phone then cancel and go to t-mobile. I am a frequent CL trader and have to watch out for that all the time. I usually make sure I see a recipe or just ask a ton of questions and make a judgement call. Anyways you can always try to do HTC Advantage, and you may find someone on CL who can get another imei although not sure how kosher that is.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
3rd June 2014, 05:08 AM   |  #8  
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 618

2,533 posts
More
To avoid this. I usually buy a different carrier's model (if they have the bands I need). This way even if it's blacklisted on the original carrier i would still be able unlock it for another carrier.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
3rd June 2014, 07:28 AM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 294

1,007 posts
Quote:

You shouldn't have an issue using another carrier. I've had friends who ran into this with other devices and just unlocked the phone and used it on another carrier.
3rd June 2014, 08:36 AM   |  #10  
Texas
Thanks Meter: 11

64 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG1488

You shouldn't have an issue using another carrier. I've had friends who ran into this with other devices and just unlocked the phone and used it on another carrier.

I'm not sure if the other carriers do as well, however I am 100% sure that T-mobile and AT&T share their blacklists. So it will be useless to switch between these two carriers. How do I know this? The exact same thing happened to me. I bought an AT&T m8 and used it on T-mobile for a couple of weeks and then it got blacklisted after the original owner reneged on his contract and didn't pay the early termination fine. So phones also get blacklisted if contracts are broken and fees are due, not just if they are reported stolen.

The only legit solution that I can offer the op is to sell your blacklisted phone on ebay and CLEARLY state that it is blacklisted and for parts or export only. They work fine overseas and there is a market for blacklisted phones on ebay. So you should be able to recoup some or all of your money. Good luck

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread