Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,784,939 Members 50,962 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Scammed on craigslist, alternate IMEI methods

Tip us?

Red_Devil6
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Scammed on craigslist, alternate IMEI methods

So here's the story, i bought a HTC one M8 AT&T version on CL. I had the phone for a few days during which time i have unlocked bootloader, rooted and S-Off the phone. Well the douche i bought the phone from must have reported it lost or stolen because its blacklisted. I've searched google and numerous forums regarding a solution so i can continue to use this phone on either the same carrier or another. I know most here wont engage in this discussion in detail as it violates forum policy, BUT if ANYONE has a legit solution that i can go with PLEASE inbox me so im not stuck with a very expensive brick.

CyclingVinnie
Old
Thanks Meter 36
If you paid via paypal or other online methods reverse the charges or file a dispute. No such luck if you paid via cash

Red_Devil6
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingVinnie View Post
If you paid via paypal or other online methods reverse the charges or file a dispute. No such luck if you paid via cash
Im talking about solutions with regards to the IMEI of the device i have

mikeyinid
Old
Thanks Meter 2,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil6 View Post
Im talking about solutions with regards to the IMEI of the device i have
Only option is to use on a different carrier. Thats it. Or pay AT&T for the device, which nobody wants to do.
Follow me on Twitter @mikeyinid

Red_Devil6
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyinid View Post
Only option is to use on a different carrier. Thats it. Or pay AT&T for the device, which nobody wants to do.
Can't use it on a different carrier since the share blacklists and i cant pay the phone off because its tied to someone elses account AND ill be damned if i pay double for the phone

wpghtc
Old
Thanks Meter 28
Buy a parts phone with a clean imei and swap boards. Other than that, you are pooched. You could try calling AT&T and explaining that the customer is making a fraudulent claim.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Android The Greek
Old
Thanks Meter 341
Quote:
Can't use it on a different carrier since the share blacklists and i cant pay the phone off because its tied to someone elses account AND ill be damned if i pay double for the phone
Dude must have been on At&t next. You get the phone then cancel and go to t-mobile. I am a frequent CL trader and have to watch out for that all the time. I usually make sure I see a recipe or just ask a ton of questions and make a judgement call. Anyways you can always try to do HTC Advantage, and you may find someone on CL who can get another imei although not sure how kosher that is.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Teo032
Old
Thanks Meter 603
To avoid this. I usually buy a different carrier's model (if they have the bands I need). This way even if it's blacklisted on the original carrier i would still be able unlock it for another carrier.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app
thanks M8

PaulG1488
Old
Thanks Meter 294
Quote:
You shouldn't have an issue using another carrier. I've had friends who ran into this with other devices and just unlocked the phone and used it on another carrier.

alqali
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG1488 View Post
You shouldn't have an issue using another carrier. I've had friends who ran into this with other devices and just unlocked the phone and used it on another carrier.
I'm not sure if the other carriers do as well, however I am 100% sure that T-mobile and AT&T share their blacklists. So it will be useless to switch between these two carriers. How do I know this? The exact same thing happened to me. I bought an AT&T m8 and used it on T-mobile for a couple of weeks and then it got blacklisted after the original owner reneged on his contract and didn't pay the early termination fine. So phones also get blacklisted if contracts are broken and fees are due, not just if they are reported stolen.

The only legit solution that I can offer the op is to sell your blacklisted phone on ebay and CLEARLY state that it is blacklisted and for parts or export only. They work fine overseas and there is a market for blacklisted phones on ebay. So you should be able to recoup some or all of your money. Good luck