Cyngn, OnePlus, Micromax – The Legal Battle

Recently, a battle has been waging in India over the rights to distribute the commercial … more

Lean Mean Battery Power Saving App Review

We talk a lot about battery topics here at XDA TV. We talk about everything from Power Banks to USB … more

Android 5.1 Possibly Coming February 2015

Google released Android 5.0 just over a month ago, and since then Lollipop has been trying to … more

Double Tap to Wake on the Nexus 6 Without Root

A few weeks ago, we featured an app which allowed the Nexus 6 to regain the double tap to wake … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

I am stuck in headphone mode

OP mast3rsign

3rd June 2014, 09:55 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Hi,

Usually I just check XDA forums, play with my phone around but I never post or start topics, so this is a first cause I am kinda clueless.

I have my HTC one M8 now for like a week, completely love the phone however since yesterday it got stuck in headphone mode.
The following things I tried: Hard reset, Back-up to previous date, Blowing compressed air, carefully cleaning with 95% alcohol while phone was turned off, Inserting regular phones like 7 times while screen was unlocked, currently using soundabout app to divert the problem... Nothing helped.
The only thing I didn't try is actually rooting the phone however I am not sure if ill have any warranty left then.

Any other ideas perhaps?
3rd June 2014, 10:16 AM   |  #2  
avivzamir's Avatar
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
16 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2010
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by mast3rsign

Hi,

Usually I just check XDA forums, play with my phone around but I never post or start topics, so this is a first cause I am kinda clueless.

I have my HTC one M8 now for like a week, completely love the phone however since yesterday it got stuck in headphone mode.
The following things I tried: Hard reset, Back-up to previous date, Blowing compressed air, carefully cleaning with 95% alcohol while phone was turned off, Inserting regular phones like 7 times while screen was unlocked, currently using soundabout app to divert the problem... Nothing helped.
The only thing I didn't try is actually rooting the phone however I am not sure if ill have any warranty left then.

Any other ideas perhaps?

if its an hardware problem i'm not sure there's much u can do, accept trying to clean the headphones jack
if its a software bug maybe try:
-connecting your headphones then turn boomsound on\off then disconnect them.
- hard rest while the headphones are connected then disconnect them.
-before u try a root u can just try a factory rest and u will still have your warranty and if that doesn't work its definitely a hardware issue.
3rd June 2014, 11:20 AM   |  #3  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
4 posts
Join Date:Joined: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mast3rsign

Hi,

Usually I just check XDA forums, play with my phone around but I never post or start topics, so this is a first cause I am kinda clueless.

I have my HTC one M8 now for like a week, completely love the phone however since yesterday it got stuck in headphone mode.
The following things I tried: Hard reset, Back-up to previous date, Blowing compressed air, carefully cleaning with 95% alcohol while phone was turned off, Inserting regular phones like 7 times while screen was unlocked, currently using soundabout app to divert the problem... Nothing helped.
The only thing I didn't try is actually rooting the phone however I am not sure if ill have any warranty left then.

Any other ideas perhaps?

You're not alone, having the same problem and no solution. The most annoying part about it is that I have to use speaker mode to be able to hear/talk during a phone call. Went to the shop and they said they will order another aux jack for me.. not very happy
3rd June 2014, 11:29 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
2 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by avivzamir

if its an hardware problem i'm not sure there's much u can do, accept trying to clean the headphones jack
if its a software bug maybe try:
-connecting your headphones then turn boomsound on\off then disconnect them.
- hard rest while the headphones are connected then disconnect them.
-before u try a root u can just try a factory rest and u will still have your warranty and if that doesn't work its definitely a hardware issue.

Tried that, nothing worked, I am going to contact my carrier and will apply for warranty. This is pissing me off
16th June 2014, 04:22 AM   |  #5  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 2
 
5 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2014
Battery Full You're not alone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mast3rsign

Tried that, nothing worked, I am going to contact my carrier and will apply for warranty. This is pissing me off

I too find myself stuck in Headphone mode. I don't use headphones and not sure what prompted it. I pulled it out of my pocket after work and found it like that. Restarts and Factory Resets don't do a thing.

When I borrowed a pair of headphones, upon plugging them in my phone starts to dial the last person I called all by itself.

Was hoping to hear how your situation worked out. Verizon said I'm covered by the manufacturing warranty and that HTC will ship me a phone to replace this one. I forgot to ask and am extremely worried I'm going to get a refurbished phone that's already had other issues.

Kinda disappointing on an otherwise awesome phone!
17th July 2014, 04:33 AM   |  #6  
Member
Thanks Meter: 1
 
33 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbettinger

I too find myself stuck in Headphone mode. I don't use headphones and not sure what prompted it. I pulled it out of my pocket after work and found it like that. Restarts and Factory Resets don't do a thing.

When I borrowed a pair of headphones, upon plugging them in my phone starts to dial the last person I called all by itself.

Was hoping to hear how your situation worked out. Verizon said I'm covered by the manufacturing warranty and that HTC will ship me a phone to replace this one. I forgot to ask and am extremely worried I'm going to get a refurbished phone that's already had other issues.

Kinda disappointing on an otherwise awesome phone!

This is a quick fix for you guys and gals. Download the App SoundAbout. It gives you the option to control where the media,phone call etc sound comes threw. Choose speaker for Media and problem solved. Hope this helps you guys out. This website have helped me out alot and I am just trying to do my part to return the favor.
10th August 2014, 08:05 PM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 6
 
26 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2010
Has anyone figured this out without having to install an App to fix this issue?
16th October 2014, 03:31 PM   |  #8  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
1 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2014
same problem...
I'm having the same problem and also go through Verizon yes you will get a refurbished phone. I'm pissy cuz I just paid $700 and now I'm gonna get a used phone. That's Bull****. I'm sick of these companies just taking advantage of us. Also that soundabout app did not work for mine anyways.
16th October 2014, 11:47 PM   |  #9  
Roland_K's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 616
 
404 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2012
More
FIX
Quote:
Originally Posted by MISSESAH3

I'm having the same problem and also go through Verizon yes you will get a refurbished phone. I'm pissy cuz I just paid $700 and now I'm gonna get a used phone. That's Bull****. I'm sick of these companies just taking advantage of us. Also that soundabout app did not work for mine anyways.

Had the same issue and resolved it by applying a small amount of rubbing alcohol on the tip of a Q tip and twisting it in the headphone jack. You will have to remove a little of the cotton to get it to fit. There is a small censor in the headphone jack the registers that the headphones are in. Dirt from your pocket and lent get inside the hole and confuses the phone into thinking that headphones are still plugged in. Do it a few times and then blow into the hole hard to force the dirt and lent out. Best is if you have a can of air for keyboards.

I did it like three times and blew the hole and haven't had a problem since. It isn't a software issue but a small hardware issue. This is the only fix for this problem. If you want you can take it into your carrier and they will do the same for you, well at lease try.
7th November 2014, 10:50 AM   |  #10  
Junior Member
Flag Southampton
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2011
More
Unhappy
HTC sent me an M8 to replace my M7 that they weren't able to repair. It intermittently has this headset problem - the icon appears and sounds get routed to a non-existent headset. Factory reset doesn't seem to help. It's just back from repair and it seems the same. I asked for a replacement as the phone is pretty much new, but they said it needs to go in for repair again! Needless to say, I'm tiring of this as it's been 2 months since I've had a reliable phone!

The only workaround that seems to work is to carry a set of headphones in my pocket and to briefly insert them when it goes into headset mode. That usually clears it, but it can appear again within minutes. I'm hoping the repair centre can fix it this time.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes