Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,813,477 Members 40,683 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nexus 7 vs Nexus 8?

Tip us?

NerdyNoob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nexus 7 vs Nexus 8?

Here's the deal: I bought a Nexus 7 on September 2013 and got another one on the 26th May. A day later, rumors that the Nexus 8 is going to be released on 25th June.

Should I get rid of the my Nexus 7 and wait for the 8 or continue using the 7?
Thoughts on the rumored nexus 8 with a 64bit processor and Android 4.5?

rap3rman
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNoob View Post
Here's the deal: I bought a Nexus 7 on September 2013 and got another one on the 26th May. A day later, rumors that the Nexus 8 is going to be released on 25th June.

If you want to sell it I think now would be the time since when the Nexus 8 releases you wont be able to sell it for as much. Google always improves the next gen of their devices by a lot. Also I'm guessing that Android 4.5 will be the first android to fully support 64 bit
Android Geek

rafalniski
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdyNoob View Post

I would stay with 2013 version. You surly will be able to upgrade it to 4.5.

Hid3away
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by rap3rman View Post
If you want to sell it I think now would be the time since when the Nexus 8 releases you wont be able to sell it for as much. Google always improves the next gen of their devices by a lot. Also I'm guessing that Android 4.5 will be the first android to fully support 64 bit
There's more money to be made with mobile devices then tablets, i doubt nexus 8 will be 64bit, they'd save that for their next phone..

rap3rman
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hid3away View Post
There's more money to be made with mobile devices then tablets, i doubt nexus 8 will be 64bit, they'd save that for their next phone..
Maybe, I'm putting dibs that it'll have the Snapdragon 801
Android Geek
The Following User Says Thank You to rap3rman For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

masri1987
Old
Thanks Meter 197
honestly ain't worried, i use my nexus 7 as my car dash audio unit, it will be performing well for a few years.

brett_day
Old
Thanks Meter 58
I just purchased my Nexus 7 the other day knowing full well that the Google I/O was right around the corner. Knowing the Nexus 8 is right around the corner did not bother me.

Here's the deal with new hardware.....especially new devices with new technology....they fail, a lot, and until Google/Asus/whoever makes the device get all the kinks worked out I would stay away. First batches of new products always have issues.

Look at what you use your tablet for now? Does it do everything you need it to do? Does it do those things well? For me browsing the web, streaming from my Plex Media server, listening to music, playing the occasional game, and using the tablet in my car are all handled perfectly by the N7, no extra power needed for that The N7 will be able to keep up with most tablets and will be able to run almost every app for a long while yet
Current Phone - AT&T Motorola Moto X 16GB - Stock

Current Tablet Google Nexus 7 2013 FLO 32GB - Clean Rom v2.7

Previously Owned

Two soup cans and a string, Galaxy Note 3 HTC One, HTC One X HTC HD2, MyTouch 3G, MyTouch 4G, iPhone 3gs, iPhone 4S, HTC One S, Nokia Lumia 900, HTC HD7, Samsung Galaxy Note, HTC Hero (intl version), Atrix HD, Lumia 920, Lumia 820, S3, S4
The Following User Says Thank You to brett_day For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

downwiththebanksters
Old
Thanks Meter 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett_day View Post
I just purchased my Nexus 7 the other day knowing full well that the Google I/O was right around the corner. Knowing the Nexus 8 is right around the corner did not bother me.

Here's the deal with new hardware.....especially new devices with new technology....they fail, a lot, and until Google/Asus/whoever makes the device get all the kinks worked out I would stay away. First batches of new products always have issues.

Look at what you use your tablet for now? Does it do everything you need it to do? Does it do those things well? For me browsing the web, streaming from my Plex Media server, listening to music, playing the occasional game, and using the tablet in my car are all handled perfectly by the N7, no extra power needed for that The N7 will be able to keep up with most tablets and will be able to run almost every app for a long while yet
I agree, my 2013 was a big improvement in every way from my 2012, but even with an 801 anything the new one brings to the table can only be an incremental upgrade. If it is an HTC boom sound-like array it might sway me, but I'm really happy. They say it will no longer be bargain basement pricing too, which was/is nice.
Moto DPC 550, Moto Elite, RIM 850, Nokia 6190 (with Fido surfboard), Nokia 8250, Handspring Treo 180, Handspring Treo 600, Palm Treo 650, Palm Treo 680, Palm Pre, SGSII 32GB, Nexus 7 (2012) 32GB 3G, Arctic Silver 32GB HTC M8, Nexus 7 (2013) WiFi 32GB
The Following User Says Thank You to downwiththebanksters For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

masri1987
Old
Thanks Meter 197
Quote:
Originally Posted by downwiththebanksters View Post
I agree, my 2013 was a big improvement in every way from my 2012, but even with an 801 anything the new one brings to the table can only be an incremental upgrade. If it is an HTC boom sound-like array it might sway me, but I'm really happy. They say it will no longer be bargain basement pricing too, which was/is nice.
exactly, unless it's a huge upgrade in terms of specs and design, it will just be another baby step

pchandarana28
Old
Thanks Meter 5

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by rap3rman View Post
Agreed, if you are going to sell it, do it now as once it comes out the value for nexus 7 will drop alot