[FIX][C6902/C6903][NON-ROOT]Sony Xperia Z1 touchscreen issue fix

Search This thread

battlekitten

May 25, 2014
Hey everyone,

For those of you who has the incredibly annoying touchscreen issue with your Xperia Z1.

I've discovered that Sony X-Reality engine for mobile is the cause of the problem.

How to fix:

1)Go to Settings
2)Go to Display
3)Uncheck X-Reality for mobile
Done

This worked for me so far (I have C6903)
so please test it on your handset to see if it works for you too.

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
This look like the people saying that Cursor Speed set up to low speed fix the touch screen..LOL..

X-Reality is an image enhancement so I really don't know what it have to do with the touch screen issue, like the Cursor Speed.

I think is placebo only.

battlekitten

May 25, 2014
Also, when X-Reality was on the screen could not register more than 7 touches at once.

After I turned X-Reality off it was able to register up to 10 touches like it was supposed to.

Last edited:

0000alex0000

Nov 25, 2010
x-fake is sh*t anyways. turn it off and you actually get better image quality instead of the more than amoled saturation anyways

krenogin

Dec 19, 2013
Man you are a life saver! My phone was almost ridiculous to use. I thought I needed to take the anti shatter film off and put a glass protector on because it may have been the issue. Why in the world would Sony let x reality mess with the screen sensitivity?

Thank you so much!

AgroCPU

Aug 15, 2013
Cologne
touchscreen issue?! Hmm my works okay so far...it works like the sh**y screen from my xj so i havent recognized any issues...:D

ravi_buz

Nov 18, 2010
Hyderabad
I had touch issue too. Phone works fine but after 15-20 min it gets heated up and ghost touch happens everywhere and i wont be able to use the phone at all. After fighting with them regarding this for a month they accpted that its a hardware issue and replaced my phone.

Gnubaver

Apr 19, 2011
This works for me also, wierd stuff....

Will try more later, but already with that X-reality turned off it feels much more responsive.

Might be placebo though, it probably is since X-reality shouldn't have ANYTHING impacting the actual screen touch :p

redback_rsa

Nov 9, 2012
Cape Town
I unchecked xreality as soon as I got the phone, it didn't stop me getting the touch screen issue.

I have however not experienced it on kitkat yet but that might be because I use the phone less than before.

Sent from my Xperia Z1 using Tapatalk 2

Gnubaver

Apr 19, 2011
It was placebo.

This does not work and does nothing for you, if you believe this then you are stupid. I have tried the usual tests and it's exactly the same as before.

Last edited:

battlekitten

May 25, 2014
It was placebo.

This does not work and does nothing for you, if you believe this then you are stupid. I have tried the usual tests and it's exactly the same as before.

Because it didn't work for your phone doesn't mean it won't work for everybody. And you have no right to tell people who are trying to fix their phone "stupid." Sony's kernel has problems regarding the screen and unless you replace the kernel you'll still get issues. I created this account just to let people know that this exists, and I'm glad that it actually worked for some people. For me, even after the X-Reality is off I get a couple of misplaced touches when the screen is on for over 40 mins, but as far as I've seen it is only fixable by root methods or replacing the kernel. When X-Reality was on I was not able to touch the screen properly 5-10 minutes after it was on.

As you can see from the quote below it actually works for some of us Xperia Z1 users. If it doesn't work for you try replacing the kernel. If that doesn't work too, you have to face that your phone is defected and you have a hardware problem. No one is to blame but Sony in this case.

Man you are a life saver! My phone was almost ridiculous to use. I thought I needed to take the anti shatter film off and put a glass protector on because it may have been the issue. Why in the world would Sony let x reality mess with the screen sensitivity?

Thank you so much!

fbb83

May 25, 2014
It seems to me that the touchscreen starts acting up when my hands are sweaty, has anyone else noticed this? If it starts acting up I just wipe it on my shirt and it seems to go back to normal.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk

Reactions: weret

Gnubaver

Apr 19, 2011
Because it didn't work for your phone doesn't mean it won't work for everybody. And you have no right to tell people who are trying to fix their phone "stupid." Sony's kernel has problems regarding the screen and unless you replace the kernel you'll still get issues. I created this account just to let people know that this exists, and I'm glad that it actually worked for some people. For me, even after the X-Reality is off I get a couple of misplaced touches when the screen is on for over 40 mins, but as far as I've seen it is only fixable by root methods or replacing the kernel. When X-Reality was on I was not able to touch the screen properly 5-10 minutes after it was on.

As you can see from the quote below it actually works for some of us Xperia Z1 users. If it doesn't work for you try replacing the kernel. If that doesn't work too, you have to face that your phone is defected and you have a hardware problem. No one is to blame but Sony in this case.

Explain more about fixing it with a new kernel, never heard about that

krenogin

Dec 19, 2013
I finally found the fix. The phone develops an issue over time. I bet any of you with the issue did not have a problem until later on which is my case. Yes it has something to do with the sensitivity but the major culprit is something that gets scratched up super easy.

Yes, the anti shatter film. I removed mine two days ago and used a zenus oleophobic screen protector. It has not felt this good since it was new.

My opinion the deep scratches in the anti shatter film allow dirt and sweat to get in and makes the phone go crazy. Most of my touch screen problems happened when I was typing. They never happened when I was scrolling. This is the fix for sure. Also x reality does seem to help until I did the swap.

battlekitten

May 25, 2014
Explain more about fixing it with a new kernel, never heard about that

The kernel's primary function is to manage the computer's hardware and resources and allow other programs to run and use these resources. Which means that the kernel enables the OS to communicate with the processor, memory, and IO devices including the touchscreen. If the kernel doesn't perceive the input coming from the hardware correctly, issues like the touchscreen issue in this case would appear.

I haven't tried it myself since the X-Reality fix -mostly- did it for me, but you can replace the stock kernel with another one to see if the kernel has the fault or not. You need an unlocked bootloader for it. Doomkernel is one of the popular xperia kernels since it provides many functionalities. Link below.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2448613

looke3

Mar 13, 2011
Hi all,

Posting this in the hope that people are still looking for some answers for this problem. I have a Z1 and for me it's not the anti shatter film ( removed it for this reason ), x reality, any settings in any menu and a glass or plastic screen protector does not help and modifying the clearpad.idc file only relieves it slightly. I have tried custom kernels and different rom's to no avail. But I have found an interesting quirk - the problem will ALWAYS appear while playing games and just as an experiment I installed Smart Screen. I set it to turn off / on ONLY the screen when I swipe a finger over the proximity sensor ( turned off phone locking ). While playing games and the problem appears I flick my thumb over the sensor to quickly turn screen off and on and the problem disappears ( until the next time ). While I'm not a programmer in any way it almost seems to me like a screen controller / buffer issue.

Since I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere I hope that it might provide an insight for someone skilled that could possibly design a fix.

Reactions: Gamer4Life

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey everyone,

For those of you who has the incredibly annoying touchscreen issue with your Xperia Z1.

I've discovered that Sony X-Reality engine for mobile is the cause of the problem.

How to fix:

1)Go to Settings
    2)Go to Display
    3)Uncheck X-Reality for mobile
    Done

This worked for me so far (I have C6903)
    so please test it on your handset to see if it works for you too.
    I finally found the fix. The phone develops an issue over time. I bet any of you with the issue did not have a problem until later on which is my case. Yes it has something to do with the sensitivity but the major culprit is something that gets scratched up super easy.

Yes, the anti shatter film. I removed mine two days ago and used a zenus oleophobic screen protector. It has not felt this good since it was new.

My opinion the deep scratches in the anti shatter film allow dirt and sweat to get in and makes the phone go crazy. Most of my touch screen problems happened when I was typing. They never happened when I was scrolling. This is the fix for sure. Also x reality does seem to help until I did the swap.
    My screen has actually worked very well last few days without x-reality! Weird, but it seems to work! :D

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
    It seems to me that the touchscreen starts acting up when my hands are sweaty, has anyone else noticed this? If it starts acting up I just wipe it on my shirt and it seems to go back to normal.

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk
    Hi all,

Posting this in the hope that people are still looking for some answers for this problem. I have a Z1 and for me it's not the anti shatter film ( removed it for this reason ), x reality, any settings in any menu and a glass or plastic screen protector does not help and modifying the clearpad.idc file only relieves it slightly. I have tried custom kernels and different rom's to no avail. But I have found an interesting quirk - the problem will ALWAYS appear while playing games and just as an experiment I installed Smart Screen. I set it to turn off / on ONLY the screen when I swipe a finger over the proximity sensor ( turned off phone locking ). While playing games and the problem appears I flick my thumb over the sensor to quickly turn screen off and on and the problem disappears ( until the next time ). While I'm not a programmer in any way it almost seems to me like a screen controller / buffer issue.

Since I haven't seen this mentioned anywhere I hope that it might provide an insight for someone skilled that could possibly design a fix.