Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,737,563 Members 45,154 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] How can I turn off 8 unlock password attempts before factory reset?

Tip us?

brentc133
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] How can I turn off 8 unlock password attempts before factory reset?

The other day I pulled my phone out of my pocket and the screen said "maximum number of eight password attempts has been reached and the phone will be reset to factory default settings as well as sd card will be wiped clean". I assume that somehow while in my pocket the screen was still on and the unlock password was attempted 8 times. What was so frustrating was I had everything backed up to my sd card using titanium pro, but because the sd card was wiped, I lost everything and had to start completely start over and set my Galaxy S5 up. I also lost all of my gallery camera shots as they were stored on the sd card. Also lost all setting s on my Gear 2 Neo as once I set the phone up again the Gear 2 assumed it was syncing to a new device and performed a factory reset to default settings.

**Does anyone know how to turn off maximum number of unlock password attempts before factory reset occurs? I could do this on both my past iPhones and Blackberries.

Thanks

johnk1973
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentc133 View Post
The other day I pulled my phone out of my pocket and the screen said "maximum number of eight password attempts has been reached and the phone will be reset to factory default settings as well as sd card will be wiped clean". I assume that somehow while in my pocket the screen was still on and the unlock password was attempted 8 times. What was so frustrating was I had everything backed up to my sd card using titanium pro, but because the sd card was wiped, I lost everything and had to start completely start over and set my Galaxy S5 up. I also lost all of my gallery camera shots as they were stored on the sd card. Also lost all setting s on my Gear 2 Neo as once I set the phone up again the Gear 2 assumed it was syncing to a new device and performed a factory reset to default settings.

**Does anyone know how to turn off maximum number of unlock password attempts before factory reset occurs? I could do this on both my past iPhones and Blackberries.

Thanks
Have you not tried to recover your lost/deleted data on your memcard? It is possible with a PC and the right software, google it.

OMG i've been here a long time!!

Fav model.. Overclocked XDA IIi (624mhz)

mumus1962
Old
Thanks Meter 8
bonsoir

Pourquoi n'avez vous pas utiliser le mot de passe alternatif ???

ShadowLea
Old
Thanks Meter 740
10 times for the HTC One M8, LG G2 and the others probably have a similar feature... Incase anyone thought this was a Samsung-Only thing.

To my knowledge, there is no way to turn this off.

Your best bet is to use the fingerprint authentication. Since it only registers fingers, and not pockets (and after a number of incorrect tries, it asks for an alternative password).
SM-N9005 International Galaxy Note 3, DBT NB7 Stock
SM-G900F International Galaxy S5, PHN NCE Stock
SM-P905 NotePro 12.2 LTE Black, DBT NC3 Stock

The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it. –Chinese Proverb

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

The simplest solutions are often the cleverest. They are also usually wrong.

brentc133
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I agree with your fingerprint authentication suggestion, but unfortunately it's not an option while using exchange email for my work emails. I may have to go back to using cloud magic for work emails as it allows use of fingerprint authentication. Cloud magic is good, but I don't find it quite as good as the samsung mail.