Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,524 Members 42,030 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Do I need a case?

Tip us?

chipseq
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Do I need a case?

I used my Motorola RAZR M with only a ZAGG screen protector, and never got more than some dings around the corners. Same went for my Droid Incredible. But both of those were much smaller than the S4. I have a case on the S4 right now, but I am wondering if its necessary. Even in my pockets , it is getting bumped around against furniture at work (I do maintenance, lots of furniture and appliance moving). But this never phased my old phones. Does this phone break easily? What kind of protection is considered necessary? I planned to get a vinyl skin to cover the back, and another Zagg protector for the front. I am interested in something just to protect the corners, but looking on Amazon did not turn up anything that looked decent.

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 1,544

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipseq View Post
I used my Motorola RAZR M with only a ZAGG screen protector, and never got more than some dings around the corners. Same went for my Droid Incredible. But both of those were much smaller than the S4. I have a case on the S4 right now, but I am wondering if its necessary. Even in my pockets , it is getting bumped around against furniture at work (I do maintenance, lots of furniture and appliance moving). But this never phased my old phones. Does this phone break easily? What kind of protection is considered necessary? I planned to get a vinyl skin to cover the back, and another Zagg protector for the front. I am interested in something just to protect the corners, but looking on Amazon did not turn up anything that looked decent.

I'd say definitely get something. I've had them all... Otter Boxes to TPU Cases. For me a screen protector and the TPU Case that came with my extended battery has been great and I work construction/trucking and my phone flies around quite often.

A lot boils down to luck too.. My friend had his screen break while in an Otter Box.... Mine has dropped from 5 feet up in a tractor trailer while getting out and nothing happened at all..... Better be safe than sorry though.. I get all mind off Amazon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistertac View Post
I'd say definitely get something. I've had them all... Otter Boxes to TPU Cases. For me a screen protector and the TPU Case that came with my extended battery has been great and I work construction/trucking and my phone flies around quite often.

A lot boils down to luck too.. My friend had his screen break while in an Otter Box.... Mine has dropped from 5 feet up in a tractor trailer while getting out and nothing happened at all..... Better be safe than sorry though.. I get all mind off Amazon

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
I have a screen protector and a flip cover case, been working out well as its not too cumbersome. All goes back to the level of risk a S4 owner wishes to have.
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

zeb carter
Old
Thanks Meter 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipseq View Post
I have a naked S4 - I carry it in a NiteIze belt holster with a flap cover. I've been carrying my phone for a year now like this with no problems. I have dropped the phone once or twice with no damage. YMMV

Here's what I am using: http://www.niteize.com/product/Clip-Case-Cargo-Wide.asp

I cannot use a cover or OtterBox or skin when using this holster and it is my preferred method to carry. Not in my pockets, pants or shirt. Very accessible.