Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more

An Android Enthusiast’s Apple iPhone 6 Challenge

The media has gone batty again over Apple “revolutionizing” smartphones. … more

Sony to Extend its AOSP Program to Other Devices

Sony will be offering its users the possibility to use AOSP ROMs as an alternative to the … more

Project Ara: Modified Android L and Hot Swapping

Project Ara is a very exciting topic–both for hardware and software enthusiasts. The … more

[Q] - Recommendation for a Backup & Restore App

22nd May 2014, 09:48 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 193

1,187 posts
More
Having always rooted my phones I never had an issue backing up apps and data via Titanium backup but am now looking for a solution to back up apps and their data on my non-rooted Z2.

Having just flashed the latest Z2 firmware via Flashtool which wipes the phone, I've restored backups I had made with Sonys Back Up and Restore app only to find it didn't backup all it said it did, so had a number of apps and data missing.

Can anyone recommend a solution to this
22nd May 2014, 10:53 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 146

468 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by kersey

Having always rooted my phones I never had an issue backing up apps and data via Titanium backup but am now looking for a solution to back up apps and their data on my non-rooted Z2.

Having just flashed the latest Z2 firmware via Flashtool which wipes the phone, I've restored backups I had made with Sonys Back Up and Restore app only to find it didn't backup all it said it did, so had a number of apps and data missing.

Can anyone recommend a solution to this

I was in the same boat as yourself, Ive found a good one is HELIUM, plus helium will state what apps don't have a backup option coded into them so unlike sonys own app u wont be annoyed when some apps do/don't backup Also Helium allows cloud backups as well as internal and external sd card backups

Im currently using helium for apps and Mybackup pro for my text message backups as I found heliums message backups were weirdly in the opposite date order to normal use( instead of latest being at bottom of list it was at top)
The Following User Says Thank You to SwiftSmoke For This Useful Post: [ View ]
23rd May 2014, 04:36 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 193

1,187 posts
More
Thanks mate, will give Helium a try

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk
23rd May 2014, 05:45 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 276

1,234 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSmoke

I was in the same boat as yourself, Ive found a good one is HELIUM, plus helium will state what apps don't have a backup option coded into them so unlike sonys own app u wont be annoyed when some apps do/don't backup Also Helium allows cloud backups as well as internal and external sd card backups

Im currently using helium for apps and Mybackup pro for my text message backups as I found heliums message backups were weirdly in the opposite date order to normal use( instead of latest being at bottom of list it was at top)

Just confiming, does Hellium doesnt back up the app data like TB?

I know ive read somewhere there is an app by chainfire for app and data backup for non rooted but at first glance it seem a bit long winded so never bothered with it.

I used easy backup which restored my apps, sms, mms, call log etc all no probs but yeah problem was no data backed up so had to set them all up like email, settings etc all over again.
23rd May 2014, 06:13 AM   |  #5  
Flag Kozhikode
Thanks Meter: 165

640 posts
More
I understand Unlocking and Rooting an Xperia is a tough task. But the stock ROM is good enough.

A good article here. It helped me and it may help you too buddy.
23rd May 2014, 08:13 PM   |  #6  

468 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexboy

Just confiming, does Hellium doesnt back up the app data like TB?

I know ive read somewhere there is an app by chainfire for app and data backup for non rooted but at first glance it seem a bit long winded so never bothered with it.

I used easy backup which restored my apps, sms, mms, call log etc all no probs but yeah problem was no data backed up so had to set them all up like email, settings etc all over again.

well your not gonna get the same level of backup due to lack of root, but for me it saved things like game progression(i.e angry birds) but didn't save things like custom widget sets in HD widgets app. But not the end of the world.

Ive started looking at my backups a bit more in detail and asking do I really need a backup of some apps, as some are just install-login to app and use no custom data to speak of to really backup. Or other apps like XDA app and game progression which have custom settings and progression Id like to save.
The Following User Says Thank You to SwiftSmoke For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd June 2014, 04:23 PM   |  #7  
Flag Bahrain
Thanks Meter: 28

148 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSmoke

bro, Last time I used Helium is when it was called Carbon, I tried it with Xperia S and it didn't worked at all, after that I saw this in it's description in Play Store

Quote:

Note: Some Sony devices have issues with Helium. This includes the Xperia S and Xperia Z. Sony has *disabled* backup on these devices completely.

I lost hope after that, so does it work now on Z2 ?

I'm still not in a hurry to have Z2 as there's still no way to root without unlocking the bootloader, and I will not unlock the bootloader without backing up the TA partition first ( which requires root )... so I've been looking for a way to copy some of my app's data from my old phone to Z2, I used to use Titanium Backup always but you know, no root = no TB...

so can you confirm please that you used Helium to backup AND restore app's data to the Z2 ? or you're just guessing from a non-xperia experience ?
3rd June 2014, 08:37 PM   |  #8  

468 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xajel

bro, Last time I used Helium is when it was called Carbon, I tried it with Xperia S and it didn't worked at all, after that I saw this in it's description in Play Store

I lost hope after that, so does it work now on Z2 ?

I'm still not in a hurry to have Z2 as there's still no way to root without unlocking the bootloader, and I will not unlock the bootloader without backing up the TA partition first ( which requires root )... so I've been looking for a way to copy some of my app's data from my old phone to Z2, I used to use Titanium Backup always but you know, no root = no TB...

so can you confirm please that you used Helium to backup AND restore app's data to the Z2 ? or you're just guessing from a non-xperia experience ?

I used helium to backup my apps on my s3 then install them on my z2, ive also backedup up my current apps on my z2 since, but like ive already said helium cant backup certain apps as the app developer hasn't allowed backup function. Helium did the job for me for my game progression and a few apps where I wanted current setup saved.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread