Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,079 Members 50,740 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Useful Prevention Tools For Amazon Updates, Non Root Users

Tip us?

oOBubbleBoyOo
Old
(Last edited by oOBubbleBoyOo; 3rd June 2014 at 10:18 PM.) Reason: Grammer
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Lightbulb Useful Prevention Tools For Amazon Updates, Non Root Users

WARNING: NEW UPDATE (14/13.3.2.3) ROLLING OUT, I ADVISE NOT USING THESE METHODS FOR NOW IN RISK OF ACCIDENTALLY UPDATING. STICK TO AIRPLANE MODE AND WIFI OFF FOR NOW. USE THESE METHODS AT YOUR OWN RISK. Thanks to Faznx92 for the update notice.

Alright guys, I believe I have found a decent way on how to prevent Amazon updates while using the device. Some may have done this but maybe haven't mentioned these methods because I have never found a thread on this. If you have other ways to block Amazon's updates, please don't hesitate to post! This is to help you and me, all ideas are welcome

1. Blocking WiFi

I found a neat app on the Google Play store that allows you to block inbound and outbound WiFi transmissions, (or you could just turn off the WiFi yourself, but hey, are you fast enough?). It is called "Net Blocker". Upon starting the application, select every Amazon application (including settings, which is the gear icon) and check the mobile and wifi boxes. You should see the wifi and mobile icons disappear next to the application names. One more important application to disable is your current LAUNCHER. This way the WiFi/Mobile Data is disabled when using the launcher. The WiFi/Mobile Data will be re-enabled if you go on an application that isn't blocked. EX: If you are using Silk Browser (with WiFi/Mobile Data enabled), and hit the home screen (with launcher WiFi/Mobile Data disabled), the WiFi/Mobile Data will disable on its own, since you blocked the launcher.

2. WiFi Timer

Amazon likes to be a butthole and likes to update while you sleep. This app is called "Wifi Timer", which is on Google Play, that allows you to set a schedule when you want your WiFi on or off (or you could just turn off your kindle and not use it). Just add a schedule, select all the days of the week, and where it says "stop wifi" set the time whatever time you go to sleep. It should disable the WiFi at that time if not already disabled by Net Blocker. (Just to be really safe, set a bunch of schedules during the night to disable WiFi) (Also I don't know much about what happens in the background during the update process, but if the application is still running in the background, I'm sure that the WiFi would turn off during the downloading process if your schedule turns the WiFi off. But Amazon probably closes all the running applications before starting the update process so that nothing interferes with it.

I must state that these methods are a tad bit risky (for now). A big flaw in these WiFi methods is the Kindle's feature on remembering the WiFi's password, EX: When the Kindle Update starts, it will search for your saved WiFi and automatically connect with the password it remembered. So if we can find a WiFi manager application that will purposely forget the WiFi's password so that you have to always put in the password every time you want to log in, then that will fix the flaw. Again, Amazon will probably prevent that type of application from running in danger of stopping the updates.

These applications work on the kindle. For those who want to directly download the applications from Google Play use Evozi's Apk Downloader (search for it on Google). When you get to the website copy and paste the Google Play address of the application and click download.

3. DIY Zip Dummy

There has been some debate on this method, I don't recommend this because I'm pretty sure that the kindle has it's own partition for system updates. Basically in this method you fill up you kindle's memory with a zip file full of memory to take up space "preventing" the kindle from installing anything else because of insufficient space. But I wouldn't do this, unless you do it for testing and you want to risk yourself into getting an update.

Sj12345
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Wouldn't it be better block amazon in the router setting?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

oOBubbleBoyOo
Old
(Last edited by oOBubbleBoyOo; 1st June 2014 at 08:42 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sj12345 View Post
Wouldn't it be better block amazon in the router setting?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk
That was a huge error on my part, I meant to say droidwall, which is the application that requires root to block addresses and applications from wifi.

Lockytab
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default Block wifi completely when idle

I would just like to add that there are several "battery saver" apps in the kindle store that will immediately disable wifi when the devices screen is off. This way you don't have to worry about schedules at all. When the device is not in use, WIFI is off.

ferrouskid
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Despite the fact that I blocked all the Amazon stock apps- settings, kindle,etc. I can still download things. This is quite worrying, if I can download it, maybe the kindle can by itself? Maybe I am missing something, lets hope its something obvious.

oOBubbleBoyOo
Old
(Last edited by oOBubbleBoyOo; 3rd June 2014 at 01:41 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrouskid View Post
Despite the fact that I blocked all the Amazon stock apps- settings, kindle,etc. I can still download things. This is quite worrying, if I can download it, maybe the kindle can by itself? Maybe I am missing something, lets hope its something obvious.
Could it be silk browser? It is default when it comes to downloading files. Depends what application is downloading. I had no problems preventing downloads, whenever a download is launched by any application (that had the WiFi disabled) the WiFi shuts off, like the Amazon Appstore, and my browsers. Make sure to have the launcher shutdown also so nothing will connect to the internet while using the launcher.

Quote:
I would just like to add that there are several "battery saver" apps in the kindle store that will immediately disable wifi when the devices screen is off. This way you don't have to worry about schedules at all. When the device is not in use, WIFI is off.
This brings up a good point, I just like having layers of protection just in case one fails

damianlph
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by oOBubbleBoyOo View Post
Could it be silk browser? It is default when it comes to downloading files. Depends what application is downloading. I had no problems preventing downloads, whenever a download is launched by any application (that had the WiFi disabled) the WiFi shuts off, like the Amazon Appstore, and my browsers. Make sure to have the launcher shutdown also so nothing will connect to the internet while using the launcher.

This brings up a good point, I just like having layers of protection just in case one fails
Try bolcking Download manager. Nothing can be downloaded without this feature.

Sent from my KFTHWI using XDA Premium HD app

Faznx92
Old
(Last edited by Faznx92; 3rd June 2014 at 02:56 PM.)
Thanks Meter 233
I don't like seeing the same mistake happen twice. There are some good ideas here but there is only a hand full of ways to block the ota update and the most effective ones need root.

1. Roms that removed the ota apps and functions. -root
2. Airplane mode or turning off wifi
3. Apps that block wifi or try to filter it (extremely risky)
4. Tools that disable ota. (My kfhdx utility is one example.) -root

Until we crack the thing I wouldn't joke around with firewall blocking or trying to do so (<-- the mistake I first made).
At least we have ways to block ota effectively. Requires a little patience.

btw
Notice: 14/13.3.2.3 rolling out
“Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.” ― Dr. Seuss

oOBubbleBoyOo
Old
(Last edited by oOBubbleBoyOo; 4th June 2014 at 04:35 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faznx92 View Post
I don't like seeing the same mistake happen twice. There are some good ideas here but there is only a hand full of ways to block the ota update and the most effective ones need root.

1. Roms that removed the ota apps and functions. -root
2. Airplane mode or turning off wifi
3. Apps that block wifi or try to filter it (extremely risky)
4. Tools that disable ota. (My kfhdx utility is one example.) -root

Until we crack the thing I wouldn't joke around with firewall blocking or trying to do so (<-- the mistake I first made).
At least we have ways to block ota effectively. Requires a little patience.

btw
Notice: 14/13.3.2.3 rolling out
Thanks for the notice, ill update the thread with that warning before attempting these.

Also as a precaution I would recommend going to the WiFi settings and go to your nearest connections and "forget" them, that way if out of nowhere an update starts (which will never probably happen) it won't have anything automatically to connect to.