Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,680 Members 45,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Official upgrade + root + CWM

Tip us?

robot1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Official upgrade + root + CWM

Hi, I have Galaxy Note GT-N7000, Android version 2.3.6, baseband version N7000XXKK5, kernel version 2.6.35.7-N7000XXKKA-CL726566.
Phone is previously rooted (I doed it after buy) and CWM Manager v3.0. Now I want to upgrade Android version to some newer, but I dont want new or custom ROM, I want to use just this official Samsung upgrade through system menu. Can I do this? Do my phone stay still rooted and still with CWM or I must root it again (or is this possible after upgrade)? What about installed apps and their settings?

ThaiDai
Old
Thanks Meter 2624
Quote:
Originally Posted by robot1 View Post
Hi, I have Galaxy Note GT-N7000, Android version 2.3.6, baseband version N7000XXKK5, kernel version 2.6.35.7-N7000XXKKA-CL726566.
Phone is previously rooted (I doed it after buy) and CWM Manager v3.0. Now I want to upgrade Android version to some newer, but I dont want new or custom ROM, I want to use just this official Samsung upgrade through system menu. Can I do this? Do my phone stay still rooted and still with CWM or I must root it again (or is this possible after upgrade)? What about installed apps and their settings?
Your rooted your device, so the upgrade to newer official version "through system menu" isn't possible.
Save your apps/settings with Titanium Backup, and of course make a complete backup of your system first in recovery.

Then download a stock rom (JB 4.1.2) from sammobile.com for your country. Install it with PC Odin. After that you can root it again with PhilZ kernel (search for his thread in the Development Forum).
At last you can try to restore apps from the TB backup (but I would make a clean install of all apps).

robot1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaiDai View Post
Your rooted your device, so the upgrade to newer official version "through system menu" isn't possible.
Save your apps/settings with Titanium Backup, and of course make a complete backup of your system first in recovery.

Then download a stock rom (JB 4.1.2) from sammobile.com for your country. Install it with PC Odin. After that you can root it again with PhilZ kernel (search for his thread in the Development Forum).
At last you can try to restore apps from the TB backup (but I would make a clean install of all apps).
But I understand that this JB 4.1.2 isnt stock rom but instead custom rom. I dont see it in stock roms list. There are all 2.3 versions. I dont trust custom roms and furthermore I cant accept apps reinstall because I have 50 buyed apps, many of them very complex settings like macro programming platforms with lots of programming jobs made by myself. I was understand that I can also revert root to unroot without ROM install. Dont remember but some app allows this unroot operation. And when I make my phone unroot, then I can upgrade through system menu, right?

ThaiDai
Old
Thanks Meter 2624
Quote:
But I understand that this JB 4.1.2 isnt stock rom but instead custom rom. I dont see it in stock roms list. There are all 2.3 versions. I dont trust custom roms and furthermore I cant accept apps reinstall because I have 50 buyed apps, many of them very complex settings like macro programming platforms with lots of programming jobs made by myself. I was understand that I can also revert root to unroot without ROM install. Dont remember but some app allows this unroot operation. And when I make my phone unroot, then I can upgrade through system menu, right?
There are many JB 4.1.2 releases from Samsung for a lot of countries.
If you can't "accept" reinstalling your apps: stay on your version.
Unrooting might give you the update but: the risk that you'll loose your very complex settings when upgrading from 2.3.6 to 4.1.2 is high.
I repeat: make a nandroid and make backups of your apps and settings with TB. Then you can simply try whatever you want.

robot1
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
There are many JB 4.1.2 releases from Samsung for a lot of countries.
If you can't "accept" reinstalling your apps: stay on your version.
Unrooting might give you the update but: the risk that you'll loose your very complex settings when upgrading from 2.3.6 to 4.1.2 is high.
I repeat: make a nandroid and make backups of your apps and settings with TB. Then you can simply try whatever you want.
Thanx......, I have already TB installed and I make regular backups and also CWM backups. Is there some links to JB4.1.2 official stock ROMs? Which method is better then - put this new stock ROM and root phone OR unroot, upgrade officially and again root? Are those operations safe? I mean, can I in any time restore previous state of phone with CWM? I only made backups with CWM but never tried restoring.

ThaiDai
Old
Thanks Meter 2624
I gave answers or infos to all of these questions in my first post.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Free mobile app

robot1
Old
(Last edited by robot1; 4th June 2014 at 01:23 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
I gave answers or infos to all of these questions in my first post.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using XDA Free mobile app
In this site you point, there is no my Country at all and for N7000 there is no any firmware.

ThaiDai
Old
Thanks Meter 2624
Quote:
In this site you point, there is no my Country at all and for N7000 there is no any firmware.
Sorry, but that's not true. If you can't find the N7000 firmwares on this website I think it might be better to stay with your unchanged device. And if your country (whatever it is) isn't listed then maybe as a Rom for the region (example SEA roms).