FORUMS

The OnePlus 2 & The Year of Smartphone Compromises

We are very close to entering the last third of 2015, and we have now seen many of … more

OnePlus 2 Teardown, Major Android Vulnerability – XDA TV

The OnePlus 2 has been officially released. That and much more news is … more

What Do You Think About Fingerprint Scanners?

More and more phones are featuring fingerprint scanners, and with many promising … more

What’s Next for Samsung and Its Flagships?

If we were to say that the Galaxy S6 was a leap of faith made by Samsung, we … more

Bloatware

34 posts
Thanks Meter: 12
 
By donlu30, Member on 8th April 2014, 04:18 AM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
17th April 2014, 06:46 PM |#31  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerx12

I see it downloading the new maps but can't stop it. I feel like the icon is there by the time I boot up?

I did not S-Off but I have full root otherwise. Super SU, Greenify, Titanium Backup Root all working well. I suppose I should go the next step and S-Off.... Not great at ADB and actually leaving for a trip later tonight so I was hoping to do it the quick and dirty way.

Wait...what? how do you have full root without S-Off? If you're referring to the Weaksauce root, that only gives partial root. And if that's the case, uninstalling any system apps doesn't actually uninstall them since you don't have write access to the location the system apps reside in, and once you reboot they're "back". However if you freeze Maps or whatever you're trying to get rid of, instead of uninstalling them, they'll stay frozen after a reboot.
 
 
17th April 2014, 07:15 PM |#32  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfreemanoh

Wait...what? how do you have full root without S-Off? If you're referring to the Weaksauce root, that only gives partial root. And if that's the case, uninstalling any system apps doesn't actually uninstall them since you don't have write access to the location the system apps reside in, and once you reboot they're "back". However if you freeze Maps or whatever you're trying to get rid of, instead of uninstalling them, they'll stay frozen after a reboot.

Well then, that sounds like the perfect explanation. Pardon my noobness I didn't think the other apps would have worked after reboots and such with only a partial root. When reading through things I thought S-Off was mostly just to turn off the boot loader lock and changing ROMS. Thanks a lot for your responses! I'll text my luck with ADB and S-Off and report back if that ultimately solved my problem. Seriously, much appreciation for the help.
17th April 2014, 07:20 PM |#33  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 63
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by avengerx12

Well then, that sounds like the perfect explanation. Pardon my noobness I didn't think the other apps would have worked after reboots and such with only a partial root. When reading through things I thought S-Off was mostly just to turn off the boot loader lock and changing ROMS. Thanks a lot for your responses! I'll text my luck with ADB and S-Off and report back if that ultimately solved my problem. Seriously, much appreciation for the help.

No problem. For the time being though, just try freezing whatever apps you don't want, and that'll stop them from showing up again after reboots.
3rd June 2014, 05:36 PM |#34  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Pardon the bump, but does anyone else think some of the VZW apps are actually halfway decent? I recently became a proud owner of the HTC One M8, and I think the backup app works ok. Limited space for what you get for free, but otherwise the app its self seems to work ok. I kind of also like the mobile data usage widget that comes with the my verizon app - since I'm not the only one using the shared data plan.
3rd June 2014, 05:45 PM |#35  
xs11e's Avatar
Senior Member
Phoenix
Thanks Meter: 109
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgp1994

Pardon the bump, but does anyone else think some of the VZW apps are actually halfway decent?

Sure, definitions:

1. Good apps are those you want and use
2. Bloatware is apps you don't want or use.

Everyone has to classify apps vs bloatware based on their own needs.
3rd June 2014, 05:47 PM |#36  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by xs11e

Sure, definitions:

1. Good apps are those you want and use
2. Bloatware is apps you don't want or use.

Everyone has to classify apps vs bloatware based on their own needs.

I guess I always felt that the included apps were, by default, poorly made and just attempts at sucking more money out of you... But my opinion has been changed
4th June 2014, 01:50 AM |#37  
eorsini's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The REAL Jersey Shore
Thanks Meter: 77
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgp1994

I guess I always felt that the included apps were, by default, poorly made and just attempts at sucking more money out of you... But my opinion has been changed

You're entitled to your own opinion... Even though it's WRONG! kidding. I used to use the VZW backup when I worked there.. Now I just do Google and Dropbox for everything.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
4th June 2014, 01:52 AM |#38  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by eorsini

You're entitled to your own opinion... Even though it's WRONG! kidding. I used to use the VZW backup when I worked there.. Now I just do Google and Dropbox for everything.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I get the feeling I'll be doing redundant backups now
4th June 2014, 04:11 AM |#39  
eorsini's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The REAL Jersey Shore
Thanks Meter: 77
 
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgp1994

I get the feeling I'll be doing redundant backups now

It's the new computer! Lol get a NAS or p personal cloudand back up to that.. Seagate has some good ones. I have a GoFlex. They don't sell it anymore but they have never ones that do more.. Including app backups.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes