Some of Our Favorite Features in Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is the latest major revision to Google’s mobile operating … more

Sony SmartEyeglass SDK Developer Preview Released

A little over a month ago in Tokyo, Japan, Sony unveiled its new SmartEyeglasstechnology. … more

XDA and Leaseweb: Server Trial/Moto 360 Contest (Winners!)

About a month ago, we held a contest along with XDA’s host, Leaseweb, to … more

Updated Android Lollipop Preview Images – XDA TV

The Android Lollipop Preview Images are now available! That and much more news is … more

[Q] Bypassing AT&T Throttle on SGS5?

OP plarser48

26th May 2014, 02:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 3

52 posts
I just got hit with the throttle at 5GB. On my old SGS2, I had a few APNs plugged in to bypass. Anyone know of any good alternatives?

Alternatively, I was attempting to follow this thread.

In particular, I wanted to disable GPRS to keep it from throttling. Normally this can be done by changing the network mode (see here).

Unfortunately the G900A variant does not have "Network Mode" (AT&T must be blocking it). Any tips on how to get to it or other ways to bypass throttling?
26th May 2014, 03:57 PM   |  #2  
Riverview
Thanks Meter: 69

339 posts
More
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2713752

Guide: How to turn LTE off (EASY)
What I found on General

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to cerobles1 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th May 2014, 04:18 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerobles1

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2713752

Guide: How to turn LTE off (EASY)
What I found on General

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Perfect! Thank you!
I believe by going "LTE/CDMA" it will keep me from getting pushed to the terrible EDGE network.
28th May 2014, 10:04 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 4

38 posts
More
I don't think I understand how this works. I am on a grandfathered data plan and get throttled at 5 GB. I am very conscientious in monitoring my data usage to avoid throttling.

To clarify what I think I learned in this thread, please confirm or correct the following statements: (i) when you are throttled, you are simply pushed to the EDGE network which is 2g (slow). (ii) By choosing a network preference such as LTE/CDMA (which does not include GSM (EDGE/2G)), you will instead be throttled to CDMA (4g) which isn't terrible like EDGE, but not great like LTE thereby "bypassing" the throttle.
29th May 2014, 03:13 AM   |  #5  
OP Member

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffjam9011

I don't think I understand how this works. I am on a grandfathered data plan and get throttled at 5 GB. I am very conscientious in monitoring my data usage to avoid throttling.

To clarify what I think I learned in this thread, please confirm or correct the following statements: (i) when you are throttled, you are simply pushed to the EDGE network which is 2g (slow). (ii) By choosing a network preference such as LTE/CDMA (which does not include GSM (EDGE/2G)), you will instead be throttled to CDMA (4g) which isn't terrible like EDGE, but not great like LTE thereby "bypassing" the throttle.

Thats the theory.
29th May 2014, 04:49 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 4

38 posts
More
Cool thanks, I didn't know that before today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
4th June 2014, 04:35 AM   |  #7  
Flag Mesa
Thanks Meter: 148

516 posts
More
Does switching to WCDMA actually bypass ATTs throttling? I've only been throttled once, still would be nice to know.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread