Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,782,422 Members 43,927 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bypassing AT&T Throttle on SGS5?

Tip us?

plarser48
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default [Q] Bypassing AT&T Throttle on SGS5?

I just got hit with the throttle at 5GB. On my old SGS2, I had a few APNs plugged in to bypass. Anyone know of any good alternatives?

Alternatively, I was attempting to follow this thread.

In particular, I wanted to disable GPRS to keep it from throttling. Normally this can be done by changing the network mode (see here).

Unfortunately the G900A variant does not have "Network Mode" (AT&T must be blocking it). Any tips on how to get to it or other ways to bypass throttling?

cerobles1
Old
Thanks Meter 66
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2713752

Guide: How to turn LTE off (EASY)
What I found on General

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to cerobles1 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

plarser48
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerobles1 View Post
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2713752

Guide: How to turn LTE off (EASY)
What I found on General

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Perfect! Thank you!
I believe by going "LTE/CDMA" it will keep me from getting pushed to the terrible EDGE network.

buffjam9011
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I don't think I understand how this works. I am on a grandfathered data plan and get throttled at 5 GB. I am very conscientious in monitoring my data usage to avoid throttling.

To clarify what I think I learned in this thread, please confirm or correct the following statements: (i) when you are throttled, you are simply pushed to the EDGE network which is 2g (slow). (ii) By choosing a network preference such as LTE/CDMA (which does not include GSM (EDGE/2G)), you will instead be throttled to CDMA (4g) which isn't terrible like EDGE, but not great like LTE thereby "bypassing" the throttle.

plarser48
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffjam9011 View Post
I don't think I understand how this works. I am on a grandfathered data plan and get throttled at 5 GB. I am very conscientious in monitoring my data usage to avoid throttling.

To clarify what I think I learned in this thread, please confirm or correct the following statements: (i) when you are throttled, you are simply pushed to the EDGE network which is 2g (slow). (ii) By choosing a network preference such as LTE/CDMA (which does not include GSM (EDGE/2G)), you will instead be throttled to CDMA (4g) which isn't terrible like EDGE, but not great like LTE thereby "bypassing" the throttle.
Thats the theory.

buffjam9011
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Cool thanks, I didn't know that before today.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

BAM1789
Old
Thanks Meter 141
Does switching to WCDMA actually bypass ATTs throttling? I've only been throttled once, still would be nice to know.
DAT QHD G3