Unofficial Android 4.4 Lands on Three Mediatek Devices

For the last few years, devices with MTK systems-on-chip haven’t received much … more

MultiImagePicker Library for Multiple Image Selection

App developmentcan be done in more than a handful of ways. You can write every single … more

Shoot Troubles, Not Users w/ Alex Boag-Munroe – XDA:DevCon 2014

In presenting the various sessions from XDA:DevCon 2014, weve mainly … more

Oppo Releases ColorOS for the Find 5… Poorly

Almost every OEM has taken the liberty of creating its own incarnation of the Android OS. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

Google Play Services update breaks location accuracy

OP syl0n

23rd April 2014, 08:13 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72

513 posts
Phone settings: Location : Battery Saving (GPS off, using Wifi/network location only)

On Google Play Services 4.0.x - I get very accurate location small circle around where my house is.

After updating to 4.2.25 - I get a large circle - maybe the radius of an entire block / surface area of a cell tower coverage roughly

Uninstall the update to play services (back to 4.0.x) - get very accurate location again.

I am using a RAZR HD with 4.4.2 kit kat thanks to CM11.

Is there a way to resolve this issue? Did play services update broke my specific phone?

I would stay on the older Play Services but Hangouts and Maps keep bitching about needing to update it.
25th April 2014, 12:38 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 445

933 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl0n

Phone settings: Location : Battery Saving (GPS off, using Wifi/network location only)

On Google Play Services 4.0.x - I get very accurate location small circle around where my house is.

After updating to 4.2.25 - I get a large circle - maybe the radius of an entire block / surface area of a cell tower coverage roughly

Uninstall the update to play services (back to 4.0.x) - get very accurate location again.

I am using a RAZR HD with 4.4.2 kit kat thanks to CM11.

Is there a way to resolve this issue? Did play services update broke my specific phone?

I would stay on the older Play Services but Hangouts and Maps keep bitching about needing to update it.

Same here, on a HTC One X running Slimkat... you're not the only one experiencing this! No solution found yet...
26th April 2014, 01:30 AM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 72

513 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkuijpers

Same here, on a HTC One X running Slimkat... you're not the only one experiencing this! No solution found yet...

Hmm, That's good to know. Do you have any other links to more information on it?
26th April 2014, 02:05 AM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 591

3,106 posts
Donate to Me
More
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05...king-on-a-fix/

Seems like it might not just be HTC users...
26th April 2014, 02:19 AM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 445

933 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl0n

Hmm, That's good to know. Do you have any other links to more information on it?

Here is one, look at the last posts:
https://code.google.com/p/android/is...etail?id=57707

I've read more about it elsewhere, but as not everyone uses only network but mostly the more precise GPS for location purposes, most people probably won't even notice the problem exists [emoji6]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn One X met Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 02:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by es0tericcha0s

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05...king-on-a-fix/

Seems like it might not just be HTC users...

It's not the same bug, that one was an issue almost a year ago [emoji41]

Verstuurd vanaf mijn One X met Tapatalk
26th April 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 591

3,106 posts
Donate to Me
More
Oh it isn't 2013 any more, is it? LoL My how time flies...
The Following User Says Thank You to es0tericcha0s For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2014, 05:52 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
Same issue here. Network location appears to work (very low accuracy), but WiFi location doesn't. If Play Services update is uninstalled WiFi location works again.
It's a pain in the ass to use aviate or cover whitout network location working properly.

Phone: RAZR HD GSM XT925
ROM: CM11 nightly.

So... Any news?

Sorry for my english, it's not my native languaje.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread