[Q] Ready to take the plunge, recommend a ROM? [and give me other tips]

OP radwolf76

5th May 2014, 11:04 PM   |  #21  
Flag Raleigh
Thanks Meter: 36

349 posts
More
I'd pick the one that has the coolest boot animation.

Okay not very scientific, but I like boot animations.
The Following User Says Thank You to RodimusConvoy For This Useful Post: [ View ]
15th May 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #22  
OP Junior Member
Flag Augusta, GA
Thanks Meter: 0

15 posts
More
So I've tried LiquidSmooth for about a week, and tried going back to Omnitoad which I've been on for about a week, and under both of them, my GPS is a potato. I will occasionally get a good lock like maybe one out of every ten tries, so I don't think it's the privacy setting bug that you need nard's battery pull fix for, but as it is right now, the inconsistency and unreliability in GPS performance is making either of these roms unusable for me.

Under stock the GPS just worked, and that got me spoiled. I'd be regularly seeing about a dozen satellites and now I'm lucky if I see 3. I'd ask if there's any alternative code for GPS I can try without reflashing the whole ROM, since I'd love to stick with either Omni or Liquid but get the GPS I was experiencing under stock, but I'm guessing that Samsung made the stock GPS module too bound up with the rest of Touchwiz to just drop it in?
16th May 2014, 10:55 AM   |  #23  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oroville
Thanks Meter: 3,075

2,443 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by radwolf76

So I've tried LiquidSmooth for about a week, and tried going back to Omnitoad which I've been on for about a week, and under both of them, my GPS is a potato. I will occasionally get a good lock like maybe one out of every ten tries, so I don't think it's the privacy setting bug that you need nard's battery pull fix for, but as it is right now, the inconsistency and unreliability in GPS performance is making either of these roms unusable for me.

Under stock the GPS just worked, and that got me spoiled. I'd be regularly seeing about a dozen satellites and now I'm lucky if I see 3. I'd ask if there's any alternative code for GPS I can try without reflashing the whole ROM, since I'd love to stick with either Omni or Liquid but get the GPS I was experiencing under stock, but I'm guessing that Samsung made the stock GPS module too bound up with the rest of Touchwiz to just drop it in?

I'll see what I can do about GPS though I dunno how much battery it could sacrifice in wakelocks...hence partially why stock drains so bad

Sent from my SGH-T699 using XDA Free mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ View ]
16th May 2014, 11:29 AM   |  #24  
OP Junior Member
Flag Augusta, GA

15 posts
More
When I'm using GPS for any extended periods, I'm either plugged to my car charger or an external battery anyway, so I won't mind a higher battery drain as much then.
18th May 2014, 12:37 PM   |  #25  
OP Junior Member
Flag Augusta, GA

15 posts
More
Was thinking that my GPS woes might have been stemming from unsynchronized clock, as I noticed I was no longer getting the toasts for "time and date adjusted" that I used to get from the phone app on stock, but even after installing an app to sync the clock with NTP periodically, but that didn't help.
3rd June 2014, 01:53 PM   |  #26  
Thanks Meter: 3

123 posts
ok this is the thread for me, i'm also a L12 smurf, and i'm using CM 11, and i keep wondering if there's a better rom, (battery, memory,performance wise), i also expirienced gps crap until i almost thought i had a hardware problem but what once installed https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hibo.gpsstatus just opening the app fixed it (i know that gpx toolbox can downloads data, i set to every hour, and still had problems) i'm also using 4600 mugen battery.
i was trying to find out what's the difference between roms, and i must admit the post this guy made about liquid smooth kind put me off
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...58&postcount=4
so far between the popular roms what keep come out, i see aokp (which is listed here) as well as paranoid (which i don't) .
4th June 2014, 06:48 AM   |  #27  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Oroville
Thanks Meter: 3,075

2,443 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by emaayan

ok this is the thread for me, i'm also a L12 smurf, and i'm using CM 11, and i keep wondering if there's a better rom, (battery, memory,performance wise), i also expirienced gps crap until i almost thought i had a hardware problem but what once installed https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hibo.gpsstatus just opening the app fixed it (i know that gpx toolbox can downloads data, i set to every hour, and still had problems) i'm also using 4600 mugen battery.
i was trying to find out what's the difference between roms, and i must admit the post this guy made about liquid smooth kind put me off
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...58&postcount=4
so far between the popular roms what keep come out, i see aokp (which is listed here) as well as paranoid (which i don't) .

i see where that dude is coming from to a sense....HOWEVER...he is also not factoring in specific devices and the developement even device wide that goes into just that to get any rom besides stock to build for it...also liquid does differ besides let say cm or others...granted with the open source gpl there will always be bits and pieces here and there thats shared time and hard work does go in to what makes it seperate.... to be honest...as a dev for the device....ive spent countless hours getting the builds to actually build and keep up with the changes rom wise as theres incompatibilities with each seperate rom that wont work right or build right for certain devices.... if you were to build for months and months spending timedoing just that for the community nonstop especially with requests from users when that said time could be used for family or just to get fresh air...wouldnt you want to be appreciated.. anything i publish here is and always will be free...just that gesture makes a better world....not like its a forced hey pay me for work...im not begging and do highly appreciate and always help those that have contributed for the cause...especially when you arent using a free server

The Following User Says Thank You to REV3NT3CH For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread