[Q] How android Firmware/Driver Handles missing Hardware Modules?

OP coolenforcer

4th June 2014, 05:01 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
I am planning to remove Camera hardware module from my an android phone (Currently it is Galaxy ACE that i have on my mind which is a spare phone).
What I would like to know is how missing hardware modules are handled in the Device drivers or layers above it.

Will on removal of camera module stop at boot?
Or will the phone still function normally (except obviously the Camera Function).

This is my workplace requirement to have a phone either with no camera or Camera physically removed.
I do work in embedded domain, so I don't think removal of camera will be a issue.
4th June 2014, 05:08 AM   |  #2  
Account currently disabled
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 108

485 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolenforcer

I am planning to remove Camera hardware module from my an android phone (Currently it is Galaxy ACE that i have on my mind which is a spare phone).
What I would like to know is how missing hardware modules are handled in the Device drivers or layers above it.

Will on removal of camera module stop at boot?
Or will the phone still function normally (except obviously the Camera Function).

This is my workplace requirement to have a phone either with no camera or Camera physically removed.
I do work in embedded domain, so I don't think removal of camera will be a issue.

good luck convincing them you removed the camera module?

anyways, arent the modules insmodded by init.rc at boot?

taken from the arch linux wiki, not sure if this applies to embedded android "Loading. Extra kernel modules to be loaded during boot are configured as a static list in files under /etc/modules-load.d/ ."

have you simply tried removing the module and then restoring a recovery backup if it doesnt work?
4th June 2014, 06:51 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

12 posts
Actually I have not seen the Android Source, so I wanted an opinion.
I have to try physically removing the camera yet.

My phone is running default android version from Samsung.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread