Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,667 Members 49,781 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4.3 GPE update DO NOT UPDATE (edit:Fixed)

Tip us?

graffixnyc
Old
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 4594

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue910 View Post
The point is, if your going to call it a 100% conversion, you should be able to lock and S-ON it without issue. If you can't, it's not a 100% conversion. To me, it's no more or less complicated than that. It's not a matter of why you'd want to do S-ON. It's a matter of truth in advertising.

For most, a "converted" device will do the trick just fine. I'm just calling a spade a spade. That's all. I have no interest in unlocking bootloaders, root, or anything of that sort. For me, I read "100% conversion" and my mind instantly went to locking it down to factory state to see what happens. That was all the proof I needed that the differences between GPE and US retail variants go beyond the ROM.

Sent from my Galaxy S5 using Tapatalk
Anything that ever gets update by Google is converted.. And yes, you can s-on. I know because I did it on my m7 the first time and couldn't get s-off again on that device for a very long time.. And I'm not going to do it now just to prove a point and be stuck s-on. In all intensive purposes it's a full conversion. The only partitions not touched really are ones that contain the serial, imei and a few others with sensitive data but any partition that's ever included in an Ota (which is why you're really converting, to get the Ota updates) is converted to gpe partitions. So I'm kinda insulted a second time by you.. You belittle what I do and I have done it way many more times than you. OK so it's a fake conversion that's why I got my Ota and had it successfully installed before some "real" gpe got the update.

You guaranteed the reason the Ota update was failing was it was because it was a converted device.. But you were wrong.. So sorry if I don't put too much stock in what you say

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

One day some of the kids from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You know why? It was outta respect." -Henry Hill

Devices:

Current Phones:
HTC One M8 Gray 32GB + 128GB SD
Oppo Find 7a 16GB + 64GB Card
OnePlus One

Current Tablets:
Sony Z Ultra GPe (Phone but use as a tablet)
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition 32gb

All new members should watch this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmvCpR45LKA

Follow me on twitter! http://www.twitter.com/graffixnyc

G+: http://gplus.to/graffixnyc
The Following User Says Thank You to graffixnyc For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

oldblue910
Old
(Last edited by oldblue910; 4th June 2014 at 06:30 AM.)
Recognized Contributor / Archivist-in-Chief
Thanks Meter 2201

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by graffixnyc View Post
Anything that ever gets update by Google is converted.. And yes, you can s-on. I know because I did it on my m7 the first time and couldn't get s-off again on that device for a very long time.. And I'm not going to do it now just to prove a point and be stuck s-on. In all intensive purposes it's a full conversion. The only partitions not touched really are ones that contain the serial, imei and a few others with sensitive data but any partition that's ever included in an Ota (which is why you're really converting, to get the Ota updates) is converted to gpe partitions. So I'm kinda insulted a second time by you.. You belittle what I do and I have done it way many more times than you. OK so it's a fake conversion that's why I got my Ota and had it successfully installed before some "real" gpe got the update.

You guaranteed the reason the Ota update was failing was it was because it was a converted device.. But you were wrong.. So sorry if I don't put too much stock in what you say

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Well:

a) With the M7, you could S-ON with 4.3 but if you took the OTA to 4.4/KRT16S or anything after that, the reboot issue will show up every time. This was true even with your CID and MID set to match the GPE.

b) While yes, I was wrong about it failing due to being a converted device, the fact is that the update works for devices for which it was intended. That's the only place it needs to work and the only place where Google and HTC have a responsibility to ensure that it works. If the update doesn't work with devices for which it WASN'T intended, that's the individual user's problem and not a cause to start a thread claiming that the update is no good.

c) I'm sorry you took my comments as insulting. They certainly weren't intended that way. I was more taking issue with the whole point of this thread.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Every OTA update for every Nexus and Google Experience device since the Motorola Droid at http://www.randomphantasmagoria.com/firmware.

Model:
Carrier:
ROM:
Radio:
Bootloader:

Samsung Galaxy S 5
SM-G900A
AT&T
klteuc 4.4.2 / KOT49H
G900AUCU2AND3
G900AUCU2AND3

Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
SM-T337A
AT&T
milletlteuc 4.4.2 / KOT49H
T337AUCU1ANF4
T337AUCU1ANF4

Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
SM-P907A
AT&T
viennalteatt 4.4.2 / KOT49H
P907AUCU1AND7
P907AUCU1AND7

Samsung Gear Live
SM-R382
N/A
sprat 4.4W / KMV78X
N/A
SPRAT.NG1
The Following User Says Thank You to oldblue910 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Ghost
Old
Forum Moderator / Retired Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 3714
Thread closed. There is a stickied thread here: [REF][GPE] HTC One M8 Google Play Edition Stock OTA URLs to do with GPE update issues.

Many thanks,

Ghost
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghost For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
THREAD CLOSED
Subscribe