Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,768,101 Members 43,103 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

bad all around lag after 4.4.2 update

Tip us?

aflansburg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Default bad all around lag after 4.4.2 update

After taking 4.4.2 update last night phone has massive lag. All apps are affected. Have done factory reset, cleared cache, Uninstalled and disabled various things. No luck. Anybody else experiencing. Phone is not rooted.

manatti
Old
Thanks Meter 27
I would factory reset everything. Start fresh without apps . I've noticed on 4.4.2 leak nc2 I had some lag if I froze some of the Verizon apps unfreeze them and had no issues after. Hope that helps only thing I turned off was caller ID but I'm rooted so factory reset is easier for me

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app

aflansburg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by manatti View Post
I would factory reset everything. Start fresh without apps . I've noticed on 4.4.2 leak nc2 I had some lag if I froze some of the Verizon apps unfreeze them and had no issues after. Hope that helps only thing I turned off was caller ID but I'm rooted so factory reset is easier for m

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Free mobile app
Tried it. I had a brief few minutes lag free but then it came back.
Galaxy Note 3 on Verizon: Stock (for now)
Google Nexus 7 Tablet: Stock
Worst device I've ever used: Every Motorola Android device > GOOD LUCK LENOVO

mutelight
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by aflansburg View Post
After taking 4.4.2 update last night phone has massive lag. All apps are affected. Have done factory reset, cleared cache, Uninstalled and disabled various things. No luck. Anybody else experiencing. Phone is not rooted.
Is this happening before all your apps restored, if you are restoring them? Or are they in the process of downloading and installing?
LG G3: Stock
Galaxy Gear Live: Stock Android Wear
Nvidia Shield: Stock
Asus Transformer Prime 32GB: Stock
iPad Air 64GB LTE: iOS 7
Toys
Retired: iPhone 1-5, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II, HTC One, Galaxy S IV, iPhone 5s, Note 3

aflansburg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mutelight View Post
Is this happening before all your apps restored, if you are restoring them? Or are they in the process of downloading and installing?
Thanks for the reply. After the update it ran its little app optimization process and then begin installing various updates. I assumed lag was normal then, but after several hours was still getting the lag. Last night the lag decreased before I went to sleep, but this morning it is back. I have developer mode active and I have the CPU process overlay and the one item I see spiking with high CPU usage is the the kernel process kworker. Did I get a bad dose of kernel?

mutelight
Old
Thanks Meter 55
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. After the update it ran its little app optimization process and then begin installing various updates. I assumed lag was normal then, but after several hours was still getting the lag. Last night the lag decreased before I went to sleep, but this morning it is back. I have developer mode active and I have the CPU process overlay and the one item I see spiking with high CPU usage is the the kernel process kworker. Did I get a bad dose of kernel?
This is a thread that may have helpful information: https://forums.motorola.com/posts/6675cef7e3?page=4

The only thing I can think of is, if you want to try it, run a factory reset, do not restore any apps and see if things settle. It could be an app that is causing a conflict.
LG G3: Stock
Galaxy Gear Live: Stock Android Wear
Nvidia Shield: Stock
Asus Transformer Prime 32GB: Stock
iPad Air 64GB LTE: iOS 7
Toys
Retired: iPhone 1-5, Galaxy S II, Galaxy Nexus, Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note II, HTC One, Galaxy S IV, iPhone 5s, Note 3

armeN0317
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I know this may sound silly but take out your battery for about 30 seconds. I have this problem occasionally and when it occurs my phone is extremely hot. I have to shutdown... pull battery... and all is good until it happens again. Happens to me at least once a day.

aflansburg
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Removed my Spigen s-view case and lag stopped almost immediately.

jaewon223
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Removed my Spigen s-view case and lag stopped almost immediately.
Same problem here. All around lag from typing to within app use, terrible slowness plagued my device. Removing s-view case removes all noticeable lag immediately. Using Spigen s-view case as well.

Tags
note 3 kitkat, note 3 kitkat lag, note 3 lag