Z1 Compact experience moving from Z1
I wrote recently about moving to a Z1 from an S3 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2756104
Like one poster, the Z1's massive size became one of my biggest bug-bears with the device. Amazing to have such a large screen, but in daily use putting it in jeans pockets and carrying I found the size a con, enhanced by the slipperiness of it.
I changed to a Z1 Compact. Here are my pros and cons from the change, in case they are useful to anyone else.
As in the previous review, these are the things that matter to me. If you want a large screen for example, then stop reading because the Z1 Compact will not make you happy.
Firstly - the pros of the Z1 Compact:
- The size is perfect. Sort of like a cross between an iPhone and a Samsung S2 or S3. Just big enough to type quickly and read, but small enough I barely notice it.
The bezel area seems less than the Z1, which I always felt was wasted space.
- The camera is better. Yes, I've seen threads saying they are the same. I compared MY z1 and MY z1 compact and the compact was more detailed in broad daylight. Notice the emphasis on "MY" - there is probably much variation around the world and in single item variations also. For me, the z1 compact took the already great Z1 camera and made it better. I'm hugely impressed.
(I note that mine is not one of the ones with the flash bleed issue that has plagued some z1 compacts.)
- Not a pro of the Compact per se, but I got a magnetic charger with it, and that is magic. Definitely worth getting.
- The Compact attracts less attention. For international travelling, this is a pro to me.
- The touch screen is marginally better than the Z1. I found the Z1 slightly unresponsive. Both have the factory protector still on.
Also there is an option to use the Compact screen with gloves.
And of course the cons:
- The battery life of the Z1 is still better. The compact is great. I'm very happy with the battery life. I finish a day of work after listening to music on spotify (cached) and making a few calls with about 75% left. This is great to me.
But the Z1 was slightly better still. Both are very good.
- The Z1's screen was pretty amazing in size and detail. I don't notice the 1080p to 720p downgrade because the ppi is still high on the Z1 compact, but the Z1 was definitely a "wow" for detail on the screen. And the size was better for longer reading.
- The Compact looks less "premium". If you want to attract attention, get the Z1.
Lastly, the things that weren't better:
- I thought the screen would be a lot better on the Compact. It's not. The vibrancy is marginally better. But it is not a jump ahead of the Z1.
- Soft keys still annoy me, but I will have to try another poster's suggestion of the pie controls in Xposed/Gravity box.
Hope this helps anyone interested.