Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Thread Closed

Z1 Compact experience moving from Z1

OP awojtas

4th June 2014, 11:12 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Wellington
Thanks Meter: 30

241 posts
More
I wrote recently about moving to a Z1 from an S3 (http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2756104).

Like one poster, the Z1's massive size became one of my biggest bug-bears with the device. Amazing to have such a large screen, but in daily use putting it in jeans pockets and carrying I found the size a con, enhanced by the slipperiness of it.

I changed to a Z1 Compact. Here are my pros and cons from the change, in case they are useful to anyone else.
As in the previous review, these are the things that matter to me. If you want a large screen for example, then stop reading because the Z1 Compact will not make you happy.

Firstly - the pros of the Z1 Compact:

- The size is perfect. Sort of like a cross between an iPhone and a Samsung S2 or S3. Just big enough to type quickly and read, but small enough I barely notice it.
The bezel area seems less than the Z1, which I always felt was wasted space.

- The camera is better. Yes, I've seen threads saying they are the same. I compared MY z1 and MY z1 compact and the compact was more detailed in broad daylight. Notice the emphasis on "MY" - there is probably much variation around the world and in single item variations also. For me, the z1 compact took the already great Z1 camera and made it better. I'm hugely impressed.
(I note that mine is not one of the ones with the flash bleed issue that has plagued some z1 compacts.)

- Not a pro of the Compact per se, but I got a magnetic charger with it, and that is magic. Definitely worth getting.

- The Compact attracts less attention. For international travelling, this is a pro to me.

- The touch screen is marginally better than the Z1. I found the Z1 slightly unresponsive. Both have the factory protector still on.
Also there is an option to use the Compact screen with gloves.

And of course the cons:

- The battery life of the Z1 is still better. The compact is great. I'm very happy with the battery life. I finish a day of work after listening to music on spotify (cached) and making a few calls with about 75% left. This is great to me.
But the Z1 was slightly better still. Both are very good.

- The Z1's screen was pretty amazing in size and detail. I don't notice the 1080p to 720p downgrade because the ppi is still high on the Z1 compact, but the Z1 was definitely a "wow" for detail on the screen. And the size was better for longer reading.

- The Compact looks less "premium". If you want to attract attention, get the Z1.

Lastly, the things that weren't better:

- I thought the screen would be a lot better on the Compact. It's not. The vibrancy is marginally better. But it is not a jump ahead of the Z1.

- Soft keys still annoy me, but I will have to try another poster's suggestion of the pie controls in Xposed/Gravity box.

Hope this helps anyone interested.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to awojtas For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2014, 11:52 AM   |  #2  
Flag Ho Chi Minh
Thanks Meter: 34

210 posts
Wait, battery life short than Z1? are you sure? Z1 compact have an IPS screen, it better than Z1 on view and eat battery not much than TFT screen on Z1
4th June 2014, 12:49 PM   |  #3  
Flag Iloilo City
Thanks Meter: 1,693

2,877 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by saobang3886

Wait, battery life short than Z1? are you sure? Z1 compact have an IPS screen, it better than Z1 on view and eat battery not much than TFT screen on Z1

It depends on the usage though... If your screen is always on obviously Z1 Compact has a much more efficient battery life. But when a phone spends most of the day screen off(listening music, phone calls, FM radio etc.) then obviously Z1 wins.
4th June 2014, 07:05 PM   |  #4  
Flag Belgrade - Serbia
Thanks Meter: 244

690 posts
More
Were you annoyed with the viewing angles of the screen and general washed out screen. Whey I was at the store Z1C looked miles ahead on Z1 in terms of black and contrast.
The Following User Says Thank You to Option58 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
4th June 2014, 07:36 PM   |  #5  
Flag Dej, Cluj-Napoca
Thanks Meter: 58

280 posts
More
z1-z1c
I had Z1 for a 3-4 months then i moved to Z1C..
Pros for Z1C: Better battery then Z1 (that`s a personal conclusion)
Better display.. (colors are more alive and black is more black than z1)
Better wi-fi range
for me it seems more responsiv, smooth, than z1
Camera is greater than z1 , don`t know why (are the same)
slighther , only 138g
Internal and external speaker are a little bit louder compare to z1

Now Cons: Miss the glass from the back ( that plastic from z1c scratches very easely
For those who want a bigger display i recommend z1

I think that`s all .. but I'm glad i went from z1 to z1 c (don`t miss it at all)
Sorry for my poor english
4th June 2014, 08:26 PM   |  #6  
Forum Moderator / Recognized Developer
Flag Baden-Württemberg
Thanks Meter: 5,888

2,694 posts
Donate to Me
More
Guys, we do not allow comparison threads here in this section, which is why this thread is now closed

In case you weren't aware of this yet, I'd suggest you to re-read THIS
The Following User Says Thank You to laufersteppenwolf For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Thread Closed Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread