Big Android BBQ 5.0 Recap – XDA TV

This fifth annual Big Android BBQ has come and gone. The speakers have spoke, the sponsors have … more

Microsoft to Counter “OK Google” with Bing Torque

When Microsoft is making apps for Android, users should be aware that something … more

Google Confirms “Android Lollipop Day” for November 3rd

A little over a week ago, Google announced the latest iteration of … more

Get Your XDA 2015 Custom Avatar and Signature Images Here

As stated in our motto, XDA Developer is for developers, by developers. The … more

[Q] New System Update

OP ace_case

2nd June 2014, 02:21 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

4 posts
More
I am having difficulties updating to the newest system update on the stock rom. I am rooted and have unlocked my bootloader, so that may have something to do with it. I am also running on straight talk, but I doubt that would be an issue, as it says it's already downloaded it and it just needs to install it. When I click install now, it turns the phone off, does the little thingy, then reboots. Upon rebooting, everything loads up, and a popup appears saying that the update failed, and then every hour it pops up asking to update. Do you know why this is happening and how to fix it, or a way to permanently suppress this popup?
2nd June 2014, 02:33 AM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs
Thanks Meter: 2,863

2,850 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_case

I am having difficulties updating to the newest system update on the stock rom. I am rooted and have unlocked my bootloader, so that may have something to do with it. I am also running on straight talk, but I doubt that would be an issue, as it says it's already downloaded it and it just needs to install it. When I click install now, it turns the phone off, does the little thingy, then reboots. Upon rebooting, everything loads up, and a popup appears saying that the update failed, and then every hour it pops up asking to update. Do you know why this is happening and how to fix it, or a way to permanently suppress this popup?

You need to be completely stock to take the OTA. If you haven't flashed Mex or Bell, I have a zip, maybe flashable (can't test, broke phone) that contains a completely stock /system. Or you can just backup your apps and flash the stock AT&T fastboot.

Post with link to zip.
2nd June 2014, 02:49 AM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

4 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevydude

You need to be completely stock to take the OTA. If you haven't flashed Mex or Bell, I have a zip, maybe flashable (can't test, broke phone) that contains a completely stock /system. Or you can just backup your apps and flash the stock AT&T fastboot.

Post with link to zip.

Is there a way to just suppress the update? I am a little wary of flashing etc. after the close call my first time...
2nd June 2014, 02:53 AM   |  #4  
Flag Ft. Walton Beach
Thanks Meter: 601

1,671 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_case

Is there a way to just suppress the update? I am a little wary of flashing etc. after the close call my first time...

Yes, you clear the cache. But if you want to leave yourself open to be vulnerable to the Heartbleed bug, a pretty serious security issue, then by all means, leave your front door unlocked so hackers can tap into your device and take anything they want.
The Following User Says Thank You to palmbeach05 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
2nd June 2014, 05:17 AM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Hot Springs
Thanks Meter: 2,863

2,850 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmbeach05

Yes, you clear the cache. But if you want to leave yourself open to be vulnerable to the Heartbleed bug, a pretty serious security issue, then by all means, leave your front door unlocked so hackers can tap into your device and take anything they want.

I'd say it's more like posting on Craigslist that you're going on vacation and then leaving all the doors open with your debit/credit card on the coffee table. It's a pretty serious bug, and according to wikipedia, 1.5% of the most popular 800,000 websites are still vulnerable to the bug, not to mention running a sideloaded app or connecting to a malicious website.
2nd June 2014, 06:48 AM   |  #6  

1 posts
got the same issue on one of my atrix hd's but not the other. On mine that I unlocked the bootloader and rooted myself took the ota update but the other which was bought in the same condition will not and just keeps giving an error. trying to figure this out now so will update.
2nd June 2014, 02:32 PM   |  #7  
Toronto
Thanks Meter: 625

2,743 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred91

got the same issue on one of my atrix hd's but not the other. On mine that I unlocked the bootloader and rooted myself took the ota update but the other which was bought in the same condition will not and just keeps giving an error. trying to figure this out now so will update.

Flashing back to completely stock may be the easiest way to get the update.
4th June 2014, 08:23 PM   |  #8  
Flag Varies
Thanks Meter: 68

162 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred91

If you flash the OTA update manually using something like Philz recovery, you can see the progress on the screen and where it stops updating. For me, it kept hanging on updating the smartactions.apk, which was because I had previously (long time ago) merged updates of the app to my System partition (along with a few other apps that were updated). This will mess up any attempt to do an OTA update, because your "stock" ROM is no longer stock.
I ended up having to flash back to the real stock with Mythtools, then install the OTA zip manually.

If you can't find the zip in your cache, you can download it directly from this post (thanks @skeevydude): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=13

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread