Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,594 Members 53,947 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] New System Update

Tip us?

ace_case
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] New System Update

I am having difficulties updating to the newest system update on the stock rom. I am rooted and have unlocked my bootloader, so that may have something to do with it. I am also running on straight talk, but I doubt that would be an issue, as it says it's already downloaded it and it just needs to install it. When I click install now, it turns the phone off, does the little thingy, then reboots. Upon rebooting, everything loads up, and a popup appears saying that the update failed, and then every hour it pops up asking to update. Do you know why this is happening and how to fix it, or a way to permanently suppress this popup?

skeevydude
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_case View Post
I am having difficulties updating to the newest system update on the stock rom. I am rooted and have unlocked my bootloader, so that may have something to do with it. I am also running on straight talk, but I doubt that would be an issue, as it says it's already downloaded it and it just needs to install it. When I click install now, it turns the phone off, does the little thingy, then reboots. Upon rebooting, everything loads up, and a popup appears saying that the update failed, and then every hour it pops up asking to update. Do you know why this is happening and how to fix it, or a way to permanently suppress this popup?
You need to be completely stock to take the OTA. If you haven't flashed Mex or Bell, I have a zip, maybe flashable (can't test, broke phone) that contains a completely stock /system. Or you can just backup your apps and flash the stock AT&T fastboot.

Post with link to zip.
If I managed to help you, click Thanks.
Please post help questions in your respected devices Q&A forum. That's we have them.
If you need my help, add an @skeevydude to your post or quote me. I'll see it.
Thank You & Have a Nice Day.
Help Me Help You. Sign up for 15gb of free storage at Copy.com using this referral -- I get 5 more GB and you get 5 more GB. We both win.
Atrix HD Off Topic Thread
"Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison

ace_case
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeevydude View Post
You need to be completely stock to take the OTA. If you haven't flashed Mex or Bell, I have a zip, maybe flashable (can't test, broke phone) that contains a completely stock /system. Or you can just backup your apps and flash the stock AT&T fastboot.

Post with link to zip.
Is there a way to just suppress the update? I am a little wary of flashing etc. after the close call my first time...

palmbeach05
Old
Thanks Meter 494
Quote:
Originally Posted by ace_case View Post
Is there a way to just suppress the update? I am a little wary of flashing etc. after the close call my first time...
Yes, you clear the cache. But if you want to leave yourself open to be vulnerable to the Heartbleed bug, a pretty serious security issue, then by all means, leave your front door unlocked so hackers can tap into your device and take anything they want.
The Following User Says Thank You to palmbeach05 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

skeevydude
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2852
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmbeach05 View Post
Yes, you clear the cache. But if you want to leave yourself open to be vulnerable to the Heartbleed bug, a pretty serious security issue, then by all means, leave your front door unlocked so hackers can tap into your device and take anything they want.
I'd say it's more like posting on Craigslist that you're going on vacation and then leaving all the doors open with your debit/credit card on the coffee table. It's a pretty serious bug, and according to wikipedia, 1.5% of the most popular 800,000 websites are still vulnerable to the bug, not to mention running a sideloaded app or connecting to a malicious website.
If I managed to help you, click Thanks.
Please post help questions in your respected devices Q&A forum. That's we have them.
If you need my help, add an @skeevydude to your post or quote me. I'll see it.
Thank You & Have a Nice Day.
Help Me Help You. Sign up for 15gb of free storage at Copy.com using this referral -- I get 5 more GB and you get 5 more GB. We both win.
Atrix HD Off Topic Thread
"Remember there are no stupid questions, just stupid people." -- Mr. Garrison

lilred91
Old
Thanks Meter 0
got the same issue on one of my atrix hd's but not the other. On mine that I unlocked the bootloader and rooted myself took the ota update but the other which was bought in the same condition will not and just keeps giving an error. trying to figure this out now so will update.

audit13
Old
Thanks Meter 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred91 View Post
got the same issue on one of my atrix hd's but not the other. On mine that I unlocked the bootloader and rooted myself took the ota update but the other which was bought in the same condition will not and just keeps giving an error. trying to figure this out now so will update.
Flashing back to completely stock may be the easiest way to get the update.

quasihellfish
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred91 View Post
If you flash the OTA update manually using something like Philz recovery, you can see the progress on the screen and where it stops updating. For me, it kept hanging on updating the smartactions.apk, which was because I had previously (long time ago) merged updates of the app to my System partition (along with a few other apps that were updated). This will mess up any attempt to do an OTA update, because your "stock" ROM is no longer stock.
I ended up having to flash back to the real stock with Mythtools, then install the OTA zip manually.

If you can't find the zip in your cache, you can download it directly from this post (thanks @skeevydude): http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...3&postcount=13