Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,761 Members 41,822 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Unlocking the GSM Variant?

Tip us?

Darkshado
Old
Thanks Meter 428

DONATE TO ME
@rebretz000: there are three GSM Moto G variants: XT1032 (Global with HSPA 850/900/1900/2100 MHz bands), XT1034 ("US" with HSPA 850/AWS/1900 MHz bands) and the upcoming LTE variant (possibly more variants TBA, since the one on the US Motorola website listing lacks LTE bands for Europe or Asia)
My phones: Galaxy Note II SGH-T889V (with LTE enabled / ext4 SD card support on TouchWiz ROMs), Motorola XT-1045 Moto G LTE (TWRP)
Previous phones: Nexus S GT-I9020A, Galaxy Gio GT-S5660M (Arpeggiomod ROM / Discussion, stock rooted ROM), Motorola XT-1032 Moto G.
Phones for which I play "tech support" for family and friends: Galaxy Nexus GT-I9250, Galaxy Q SGH-T589R, Galaxy 551 GT-I5510M, LG C-800G Eclypse, Motorola XT-1032 Moto G

checkmateyou
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
The Cricket variant is cheaper by $30 and that is why I am buying it over the T-Mobile variant. I know, I know. $30 is not much, but I am buying this is a gift for someone. And that someone always break phones every 6 months. I have gave him Nexus phones, Galaxy phones, etc. He need a smartphone for his job, but nothing fancy is needed, and that is why I plan to buy him budget phones from now on.

So all in all, it is absolutely not possible to carrier unlock the Moto G yet?

rebretz000
Old
(Last edited by rebretz000; 3rd June 2014 at 10:23 PM.)
Thanks Meter 159
You're going to have to ask the Cricket representative if the phone you are buying is a GSM or CDMA? The new Cricket is GSM but they still have their CDMA network running for the next year for their old subscribers. If it's CDMA then it will not work on T-Mobile and there is no way to carrier unlock it since the CDMA version doesn't have any GSM antennas inside.

Actually you can carrier unlock CDMA versions. Take Boost Mobile's to Verizon since Verizon's can't be bootloader unlocked but Boost's can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

checkmateyou
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebretz000 View Post
You're going to have to ask the Cricket representative if the phone you are buying is a GSM or CDMA? The new Cricket is GSM but they still have their CDMA network running for the next year for their old subscribers. If it's CDMA then it will not work on T-Mobile and there is no way to carrier unlock it since the CDMA version doesn't have any GSM antennas inside.

Actually you can carrier unlock CDMA versions. Take Boost Mobile's to Verizon since Verizon's can't be bootloader unlocked but Boost's can.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
I'm talking about carrier unlocking the Cricket's GSM variant to work on other GSM carriers.