USB OTG?

3rd June 2014, 07:36 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 24

249 posts
More
Any chance of this being supported? :P I did plug my USB OTG stick into my cradle but nothing happened... I know, wishful thinking lol...
4th June 2014, 01:55 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 22

111 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by death_entry

Any chance of this being supported? :P I did plug my USB OTG stick into my cradle but nothing happened... I know, wishful thinking lol...

The USB OTG spec uses the 5th pin on micro b, which is not exposed via the cradle. Early devices and those not fully implementing the spec in hardware and software where able to use helper software to force the port into usb host mode which may be worth a try, however a quick search only yielded android otg helper tools which depended on the hardware.

Most of my experience with these older devices where non-android except for the old G1, so a bit of research would be needed before seeing if a software-only solution can be implemented. Barring that, I'd guess a hardware modification would be required to expose, toggle, or force the missing pin.

--fg
4th June 2014, 09:08 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag London
Thanks Meter: 24

249 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by fg

The USB OTG spec uses the 5th pin on micro b, which is not exposed via the cradle. Early devices and those not fully implementing the spec in hardware and software where able to use helper software to force the port into usb host mode which may be worth a try, however a quick search only yielded android otg helper tools which depended on the hardware.

Most of my experience with these older devices where non-android except for the old G1, so a bit of research would be needed before seeing if a software-only solution can be implemented. Barring that, I'd guess a hardware modification would be required to expose, toggle, or force the missing pin.

--fg

Urgh that's annoying and all because they missed off just one extra pin, anyway thx for getting back to me with such a detailed response
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread