Cast tablet screen to Chromecast?

Search This thread

WiKDMoNKY

Nov 22, 2005
Orange, CA
I have a client who has a new Tab Pro 10.1 and he wants to know how to stream the screen of his tablet to his TV or PC at his office to use for a demonstration and use kind of as a remote whiteboard. He saw someone doing it at a meeting he went to last week, but did not ask how they were doing it. I have searched all around and it looks like he has to be rooted to do it, but it seems unreliable and I don't want to have to fix or set this thing up every time he uses it. I am sure he wont mind rooting his tablet if it means he will be able to stream his screen. I was hoping Chromecast would be able to do it easily, but it looks like that is not a feature yet and it can only be done fairly reliably through Chrome on a computer.

Has anyone done this yet? What do you recommend?

He has a:
Tab Pro 10.1 (stock)
Intel Nuc running Windows 8.1 Pro 64 connected to the TV
Chromecast
Vizio 70" TV

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

beemerTPPC

Retired Recognized Developer
Mar 23, 2006
Madrid
beemer.sesma.eu
You can use Chromecast but it will be slow for that. Instead use Miracast (What Brendo is using). There are many Miracast adapters if your TV doesn't have this capability.

xbitsvillanueva

Aug 31, 2014
Screen Mirroring Galaxy tab pro 8.4 and Sony bravia TV

The screen mirroring function will work with a Galaxy Tab pro 8.4 and a w605b Bravia TV?

Thank you!

Weo

Mar 25, 2010
On my S5 there is an option in the Chromecast app which allows casting. On my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, there is no option. I have tested both my S5 and Tab Pro 8.4 with Chromecast. Individual apps, like Youtube and Netflix cast fine, but the Tab Pro won't give me the option to cast the tablet's screen. If you have a Samsung "Screen Mirroring" compatible smart TV it might work (I don't).

On a side note. . . Although I know your client wants wireless, my old Samsung HDMI adapter for my S3 works with both my S5 and Tab Pro 8.4. The Samsung WI-FI All-Share Cast Hub, Wireless HDMI Display Adapter (can't remember the name) might work if you have that plugged into the video source. I didn't purchase it, so I can't test it.

FlipMarc

Jul 1, 2011
NJ
I just recently bought a Chromecast and Tab Pro 8.4. I've been experimenting the last few days.

Basically, casting to Chromecast is going to be limited to apps with built-in Chromecast support. The only way I was able to do screen mirroring was through my WDTV Live set top box. Like Weo said above, you will need a TV with screen mirroring capability. My friend has a Samsung smart tv that he uses screen mirroring all the time.

Here's a nicely put together FAQ about Chromecast: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2563143

I think the only way to do screen mirroring to Chromecast is to root your device and install a hack: http://xdaforums.com/hardware-hacking/chromecast/experimental-enable-mirroring-device-t2812193