Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,728,909 Members 49,988 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Micro SD card suddenly unreadable

Tip us?

roperband
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Question Micro SD card suddenly unreadable

I have scoured the other forums, but I wanted to post a thread with my exact symptoms. Last night, my phone just stopped recognizing my micro sd card, which unfortunately contained some important data. I tried the card in other devices and it is not recognized in them either. It's as if the card is not even there. At this point, I could probably contact samsung or sandisk and get a replacement card, but more importantly is extracting the data. Is there a program or method I can use to capture the data from the card even if it's not being recognized. I don't have access to sd card reader, but I could pick one up if necessary. Currently, plugging the phone into a computer does not show the card as existing at all, much less reading any data. Any advice is appreciated.

dibeachdude
Old
Thanks Meter 63
There are a lot of programs out there that you could use to attempt recovery of the files. I was able to recover a lot of data on a friend's micro sd card a few years ago. There is a pretty good article here http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/how-to/st...rrupt-sd-card/

Best of luck to you.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."

Device: Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A)
Stock everything . . . for now.

Has anybody noticed this? If you open the little USB cap and hold it really close to your ear, you can hear a tiny voice scream, "Unlock me!"

Avail211
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I had the exact same thing happen about a month ago. The card said 'ejected, safe to remove' or something along those lines at some random time. I took the card out and neither of my 3 computers would read the card. It didn't error, it just did NOTHING, like it didn't exist. The only thing I cared about were the pics so I tried 3 different adapters, still didn't work. I ended up cleaning the contacts with alcohol (TINY bit on a q-tip) and put the adapter in the reader, THEN the micro SD card. After about a dozen times inserting/removing it finally read the stupid card. I pulled the pics and did a full reformat in windows (unchecked quick format) scanned it for bad blocks and formatted again after putting it back in the phone. I set google to autobackup my pics to G+ now. It hasn't done it since but I definitely won't trust my SD card with anything I can't easily replace or isn't constantly backed up.

Bartbig
Old
(Last edited by Bartbig; 7th March 2014 at 02:30 PM.) Reason: not compleet
Thanks Meter 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avail211 View Post
I had the exact same thing happen about a month ago. The card said 'ejected, safe to remove' or something along those lines at some random time. I took the card out and neither of my 3 computers would read the card. It didn't error, it just did NOTHING, like it didn't exist. The only thing I cared about were the pics so I tried 3 different adapters, still didn't work. I ended up cleaning the contacts with alcohol (TINY bit on a q-tip) and put the adapter in the reader, THEN the micro SD card. After about a dozen times inserting/removing it finally read the stupid card. I pulled the pics and did a full reformat in windows (unchecked quick format) scanned it for bad blocks and formatted again after putting it back in the phone. I set google to autobackup my pics to G+ now. It hasn't done it since but I definitely won't trust my SD card with anything I can't easily replace or isn't constantly backed up.
Try Flickr for backup online, you have 1 Terra-byte space there. @ Google+ it's 1G

http://www.flickr.com/

(for uploading there are several options, i use the one below, but other work fine to i think.)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...kruploader.pro

Have fun
Best Regards,

Bart van den Biggelaar
Netherlands
Samsung S4 Active (I9295) Root-Stock 4.2 Deodexed

dibeachdude
Old
Thanks Meter 63
I don't think the sdcard socket works very well on these phones. My sdcard stayed to act up, and when I opened up the phone, I found it unplugged. I know it was firmly seated when I installed it. Days could easily get corrupted if the card has a flaky connection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."

Device: Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900A)
Stock everything . . . for now.

Has anybody noticed this? If you open the little USB cap and hold it really close to your ear, you can hear a tiny voice scream, "Unlock me!"

erinkb17
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I just had this same issue happen to me a few weeks back. My mico SD inexplicably unmounted from my phone, tried to plug it into my computer using my SD adapter and it acted as if nothing at all was plugged in. I did a google search and found some recommended programs to try and retrieve data from corrupted SD cards, but nothing worked since the computer wouldn't even recognize anything was plugged in. I tried plugging it into my netbook, my Mac computer at work, one of those photo lab machines at Target--nothing would recognize there was a card plugged in. I was distraught because I hadn't thought to backup my photos in months, and I did not want to lose them.

However in my searching for a solution, I saw many people mention Recoverfab (recoverfab.com), a professional in Germany who has a good success rate at recovering data from these SD cards that won't mount. I was sold the minute I saw that if he is not able to recover your data, there is no charge. I contacted him and filled out the order form. Shipping from the midwest, my card got to him in little over a week and he had my photos recovered the very next day. Depending on the size of the card it can get a little pricey, but for me it was well worth getting all my pictures back. I'm going to be sure to set my google+ account to backup my pictures going forward now, but if I ever had something like this happen again I would use Recoverfab again without hesitation.

I hope this helps, and good luck on retrieving your data!
The Following User Says Thank You to erinkb17 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Richard Luis
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks for sharing the manual ways and providing information about other product. Moreover, I need to suggest Remo Recover tool that is capable enough to restore data from unreadable Micro SD card.

Tags
data, sdcard