Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,174 Members 35,990 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Updating from 4.3 to 4.4

Tip us?

KillaWillaSea
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Updating from 4.3 to 4.4

I rooted my Galaxy S4 on 4.3 and now when I try to update OTA it gives me an error message. It will go to the updating screen with the open android and then it will say error on it and bring me back to my lock screen.

joshuabg
Old
Thanks Meter 388

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillaWillaSea View Post
I rooted my Galaxy S4 on 4.3 and now when I try to update OTA it gives me an error message. It will go to the updating screen with the open android and then it will say error on it and bring me back to my lock screen.
if you want to stay rooted i recomend this method:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2749660
If you find this post helful, Click the "Thanks" button, Or if you really like what I have done you can click the "Donate to Me" button.

My works

decaturbob
Old
Thanks Meter 813
Quote:
Can't take OTA if you are not 100% stock...

sent by baja kitkat S4
so long Verizon and my awesome S4 , hello TMO G3

KillaWillaSea
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
What do you recommend to remove root and go back to a stock system?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app

joshm.1219
Old
Thanks Meter 1,335
Quote:
What do you recommend to remove root and go back to a stock system?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using XDA Free mobile app
If you just want to be on the newest stock software without root (it's complicated to get root once you update) then use odin to flash the nc5 tar image. If you don't know what odin is, watch a YouTube video on it, there's tons of tutorials.

Sent from my HTC6600LVW using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2
http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2848/11738368925_6e7dbef510_o.png
  • CARRIER: Verizon
  • PHONE: Samsung S4 HTC One Max
  • CASE: Otterbox Defender modded to fit Anker 7800mah battery HTC PowerFlip
  • BOOTLOADER: MDK, loki bypass S-OFF & Relocked
  • RECOVERY: TWRP 2.7.x
  • KERNEL: Ktoonsez with Project Icarus profile and Hydra script FlyKernel
  • ROM: Eclipse TW 4.4 Adrenaline Sense 6
  • LAUNCHER & MODS: Google Now launcher with XGEL settings, GravityBox, Heads Up notifications, & Android L navbar

muniz_ri
Old
Thanks Meter 1,145
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuabg View Post
if you want to stay rooted i recomend this method:http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2749660

Rooting modifies a file(bin/ddexe) which is checked by the official OTA update which causes the failure. But even if the OTA successfully flashed you would lose root.

One option is to use the KeepRoot OTA zip method in the link that joshua shared. There is also an MK2 Pre-Flash System Check included in the thread. Run it and it will tell you if my KeepRoot zip will successfully flash. You can then follow the instructions to get to stock, rooted, NC5.