Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,736,513 Members 52,642 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

My HTC looses 4G Connection and switches to "E" or "G" and loose signal completely

Tip us?
 
thehumanslayer12
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 23
Join Date: Apr 2014
Default My HTC looses 4G Connection and switches to "E" or "G" and loose signal completely

I am in need of some help, and the AT&T Support is utterly crap. I have a 2 GB (4G LTE) Data Plan but my phone seems to be messing up. Today (Because it is really really hot out, and the phone is in my pocket all the time, which makes it even hotter in my pocket)the phone reached it's milestone with me and got to 111 Degrees Fahrenheit. In an attempt to save the phone, I turned it off. Several minutes later, I turned it back on (Was at 96 Degrees now) and I noticed that I had no Data Connectivity. I had bars, but I didn't have the letters "4G LTE," or "4G." It was blank, but then it lost the bars completely. Then later on I had a "G" and "E" come up on the Status bar next to the Connectivity Bars (Which were full, I had all 5 bars). There are 2 pictures included here, one is with the "E" (Or EDGE connection of what I heard) and one is when the connection just drops a few minutes later.

Info:
Bootloader is Unlocked (via htcdev), installed with Custom Recovery (TWRP 2.8) and Root Access (SuperSU).
Android v4.4.2 with HTC Sense v5.5
(If you need more information please tell me below and I will do what I can to answer them, Photos were taken not too long ago, about 10 to 15 minutes ago from the Post of this Thread)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-31 04.00.16.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	2772392   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-05-31 04.03.52.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	2772393  
 
thehumanslayer12
Old
#2  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 23
Join Date: Apr 2014
BUMP
 
clsA
Old
#3  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 850
Posts: 3,156
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumanslayer12 View Post
BUMP
have you flashed any firmware's or radio's ?

try and fully charge the phone and toggle airplane mode and see if the data connection works. also the temperature you describe is not really that high.
And overheating would only damage the battery not chips/radio's inside the phone. Water is a different story
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

 
thehumanslayer12
Old
(Last edited by thehumanslayer12; 3rd June 2014 at 05:11 AM.)
#4  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 23
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
have you flashed any firmware's or radio's ?

try and fully charge the phone and toggle airplane mode and see if the data connection works. also the temperature you describe is not really that high.
And overheating would only damage the battery not chips/radio's inside the phone. Water is a different story
I was thinking about Flashing a custom firmware but I ended not, because I was a little worried that I would Brick my phone. The only things that I did flash was the Custom Recovery to TWRP Recovery (Made a mistake, it's TWRP v2.7.0.0) and got Root Access through SuperSU. The data does come back now, back to 4G LTE but whenever I try using the data or make a call it attempts to send out the Data but then shuts off seconds later the only thing that I can do, is Text and that's it. Will resetting everything (the Recovery, Un-Root, and Re-Lock the Bootloader (which wont do anything since I found it that it is Perm)) fix the problem?

Edit: Also thanks for the Info on Overheating. OH and also a very very VERY important detail that I think is serious, the Phone gets to 111 Degrees (It was at 114 Today, before shutting down for 4 Hours before finally being able to turn it back on) now whenever the Phone is trying to use the Data. I was trying to load Facebook, and the data was on at the time (4G LTE Connection) it was sending and receiving the Data, but it was going like 5 times slower than what 4G LTE is, it was like having 3G, and when the data was being used, the Phone got to 114 Degrees but when that data was off, the phone was a Rock sitting at 79 Degrees. I suppose this might have something to do with it? Also here is another picture, the Battery History for today. The 4G LTE Connection is staying Stable for now, but will go away if I attempt to use data or make a call. Messaging is available again though. The phone got to 114 at 3 PM and turned off later after that, so please tell me or someone else if this has anything to do with the case? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-03 04.06.28.png
Views:	12
Size:	217.5 KB
ID:	2777585  
 
clsA
Old
#5  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 850
Posts: 3,156
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumanslayer12 View Post
I was thinking about Flashing a custom firmware but I ended not, because I was a little worried that I would Brick my phone. The only things that I did flash was the Custom Recovery to TWRP Recovery (Made a mistake, it's TWRP v2.7.0.0) and got Root Access through SuperSU. The data does come back now, back to 4G LTE but whenever I try using the data or make a call it attempts to send out the Data but then shuts off seconds later the only thing that I can do, is Text and that's it. Will resetting everything (the Recovery, Un-Root, and Re-Lock the Bootloader (which wont do anything since I found it that it is Perm)) fix the problem?

Edit: Also thanks for the Info on Overheating. OH and also a very very VERY important detail that I think is serious, the Phone gets to 111 Degrees (It was at 114 Today, before shutting down for 4 Hours before finally being able to turn it back on) now whenever the Phone is trying to use the Data. I was trying to load Facebook, and the data was on at the time (4G LTE Connection) it was sending and receiving the Data, but it was going like 5 times slower than what 4G LTE is, it was like having 3G, and when the data was being used, the Phone got to 114 Degrees but when that data was off, the phone was a Rock sitting at 79 Degrees. I suppose this might have something to do with it? Also here is another picture, the Battery History for today. The 4G LTE Connection is staying Stable for now, but will go away if I attempt to use data or make a call. Messaging is available again though. The phone got to 114 at 3 PM and turned off later after that, so please tell me or someone else if this has anything to do with the case? Thanks.
where are you getting these temperature readings ?

4G LTE goes off during a call. Calls are made over 3g
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

 
thehumanslayer12
Old
#6  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 23
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
where are you getting these temperature readings ?
Well, I am getting them from multiple sources, for one I am getting 1 by "All-In-One Toolbox," 2 since I have Root Access I can be able to analyze the system via Fastboot through my computer (3rd Party Applications, plus the applications that I created) 3 well of course there is an AT&T App designed to so and so "Optimize Battery Life" (Which it never does) shows the current Battery Readings of the phone. (For number 2 the custom Recovery I have allows me to turn on Auto Logging when the phone operates at a bad, and in this case "Hot," rate, which from there I can analyze what the system was doing at the time (Temp. Writing and Reading Logs, etc (However it does not log Radio Network or anything related))

Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
Calls are made over 3g
When I used to call, the LTE would go away and 4G would stay, so I would have to be a bit cautious about that.

I am quite certain that it would be the Root that is doing this, I am not to sure though.
 
thehumanslayer12
Old
(Last edited by thehumanslayer12; 4th June 2014 at 04:40 AM.)
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 23
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
try and fully charge the phone and toggle airplane mode and see if the data connection works.
Hey! I did this today, and the phone was keeping the connection! Although, the Data was as if I was on a 3G Data Network, I am talking to AT&T about the case now(Not now now, but generally), but like I said their Customer Service is crap. The phone also stayed at a 99% Battery Charge all day long, and when I turned Airplane Mode off, I seen my 4G LTE just come up like nothing. I would suspect this as a "Temp" fix, because the connection does change to "G" and "E" (Also in the All-In-One toolbox, the regular 4G connection, the application said it was a "HSDPA" (Also sometimes it had a '+' next to the name too) connection. Was finally able to get a call out to my Voicemail today, but right after I ended the call I lost the 4G (And LTE in some cases) connection, no reception is what the phone was saying.

Edit: I am starting to think that the phone is too weak (or the signal is too weak, in this case the Radio in the phone is too weak or so, not enough power maybe?) to carry out a Stable connection to AT&T, or one of the Cell Towers. I suspect in me Flashing the SuperSU and TWRP Recovery could be the cause of it? (Also another thing that I forgot to mention again, is that I had sent in my HTC One to HTC to get repaired, as it bricked its self by turning background data off for 'Google Services' making HTC Sense not respond and then lead to the bricking. HTC Said a total of 5 Items (Including the Mainboard) were replaced in the repair. Maybe they did something wrong? But then again I can't send it back because I unlocked the Bootloader)
 
clsA
Old
#8  
clsA's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 850
Posts: 3,156
Join Date: Aug 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehumanslayer12 View Post
(Also another thing that I forgot to mention again, is that I had sent in my HTC One to HTC to get repaired, as it bricked its self by turning background data off for 'Google Services' making HTC Sense not respond and then lead to the bricking. HTC Said a total of 5 Items (Including the Mainboard) were replaced in the repair. Maybe they did something wrong? But then again I can't send it back because I unlocked the Bootloader)[/I]
So this is a HTC Repair job... it's very likely your hardware is broken then.
use the SuperGuide to return to stock and get another phone from HTC/ATT
HTC One 32 GB AT&T

 
thehumanslayer12
Old
#9  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Posts: 23
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsA View Post
So this is a HTC Repair job... it's very likely your hardware is broken then.
use the SuperGuide to return to stock and get another phone from HTC/ATT
*sigh ok thanks but anything about the battery doing this?

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Get Your Cargo to its Destination in 4×4 Military Operations Reborn

Racing games have evolved quite a bit since the days of Pole … more

Automate Your Device with Sfen

Changing the profile of yourdevice manually is now long forgotten. Since the advent of Android automation … more

Galaxy Photo Screen Lock Displays a Photo Slideshow on Your Lock Screen

Being the most often looked at part of our devices UI, the lock … more