Forums Added for the Oppo R5, Oppo N3, and Xiaomi Redmi Note

Just yesterday, Oppo unveiled a pair of rather unique smartphones, the Oppo … more

How to Play Music From Android Wear – XDA TV

Yesterday, we showed you how to do some advanced things with your Moto 360 quite easily … more

Google Updates Play Games, Wallet, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Drive, Google+, and Camera

While we haven’t really had much in the way of … more

Google Execs Talk to Ars About Android 5.0 Lollipop

Android 5.0 Lollipop is right around the corner, and it’s expected to hit AOSP … more

Updating phone help

OP vizi0nz

26th May 2014, 12:28 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bay Area
Thanks Meter: 32

129 posts
More
I've been so busy and just completely forgot how to mess with my phone since I have not needed with it for awhile, I'm pretty much lost now. Here's what I am currently running :

Jellybomb ver 2.0, freeza's 3.4.0 beastmode kernel, still on mj4 4.3.

Can someone provide me with step by step instructions on how to update to the current version. If possible, I want to keep my current setup, like my homescreen icon setup, apps, etc. Basically I want to keep my phone the way it is now, but just update it. If it's not possible, guess I'll just start over after the update. I feel like a noob all over, please bare with me.

Sent from my SM-N900P using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
26th May 2014, 12:39 PM   |  #2  
Buford, GA
Thanks Meter: 747

2,090 posts
More
You'll want to accept the ota updates, then find how to root note 3; thread in general, it's quick and easy. Just watch the video by qbking77.

Good luck

26th May 2014, 09:56 PM   |  #3  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 458

717 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizi0nz

I've been so busy and just completely forgot how to mess with my phone since I have not needed with it for awhile, I'm pretty much lost now. Here's what I am currently running :

Jellybomb ver 2.0, freeza's 3.4.0 beastmode kernel, still on mj4 4.3.

Can someone provide me with step by step instructions on how to update to the current version. If possible, I want to keep my current setup, like my homescreen icon setup, apps, etc. Basically I want to keep my phone the way it is now, but just update it. If it's not possible, guess I'll just start over after the update. I feel like a noob all over, please bare with me.

Well, there are very specific instructions on upgrading from MJ4 to NAB (or NC5). You can't just do a wipe in recovery and update. I have written up fool-proof instructions over in this thread, which I have copied below:

Quote:

I just took the plunge and found it to be a relatively easy process. I followed the procedure I listed earlier, but still got the symlinks error, so I did a "TWRP Format" as suggested by derail412 and that fixed it. Overall, it took less than 1 hour to do everything. I'll outline my process below:

Detailed instructions on upgrading from a MJ4 (Jellybean) to NAB (KitKat) Rom.

1. Downloaded all files required. I will provide a link to the files. For all ODIN file flashing, I had "Auto Reboot" and "F. Reset Time" checked.
  2. Backed up all "important" files off of the internal memory to the MicroSD card. Copied the fre3 Rom file to the MicroSD Card.
  3. Use ODIN 3.07 "PDA" to flash the MJ4 Stock TAR file (filename: N900PVPUBMJ4_N900PSPTBMJ4_N900PVPUBMJ4_HOME.tar.md 5). Took 5-10 minutes.
  4. Once phone reboots, allow a few minutes for things to get settled. Reboot into Download Mode.
  5. Use ODIN 3.07 "PDA" to flash the NAB Stock TAR file (filename: N900PVPUCNAB_N900PSPTCNAB_N900PVPUCNAB_HOME.tar.md 5). Took 5-10 minutes.
  6. Once phone reboots, allow a few minutes for things to get settled. Reboot into Download Mode.
  7. *Optional Step* Use ODIN 3.07 "Bootloader" to flash the NAB Engineered Bootloader TAR file (filename: nabfirmware.tar). Took 1 minute.
  8. Once phone reboots, allow a few minutes for things to get settled. Reboot into Download Mode.
  9. Use ODIN 3.07 "PDA" to flash the TWRP 2.7.0.0 TAR file (filename: openrecovery-twrp-2.7.0.0-hltespr-4.4.img.tar). Took 1-2 minutes.
  10. Once phone reboots, allow a few minutes for things to get settled. Reboot into Recovery Mode.
  11. Made a TWRP Backup of the Stock NAB Rom, set backup location to the MicroSD Card. Took 5-10 minutes.
  12. Did an "Advanced" Wipe on TWRP. Checked all options except MicroSD Card.
  13. Once done, go back to "wipe" menu in TWRP. Choose "Format Data" and had to type in "yes" to wipe.
  14. Rebooted to Recovery. Do not try to install SuperSu, since you have no ROM loaded yet.
  15. Install the ROM in TWRP.
  16. Rebooted to ROM and allowed a few minutes for everything to settle down.
  17. Rebooted ROM to make sure everything is running fine.

All-in-all, took only about 45 minutes, but with writing this down, I'd say it took a total of 1 hour. Not too shabby.

The latest version is NC5, but if you just replace all of the above NAB files with NC5 ones, it'll work and you'll be on the most-recent version of the phone software.

If you want a bloatware-free ROM, I'd recommend using either of Freeza's Roms. If you want a more modded or themed one, there are tons on the Development Section.

As far as keeping everything the same as you have it now... I'd point you to Titanium Backup. With it you can backup and restore many of your settings and data when you upgrade. I'd just recommend not restoring too many system files (red ones), as they can mess things up.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions, I can hopefully answer anything you might need help on.
The Following User Says Thank You to topherk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th May 2014, 04:53 AM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bay Area

129 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topherk

Well, there are very specific instructions on upgrading from MJ4 to NAB (or NC5). You can't just do a wipe in recovery and update. I have written up fool-proof instructions over in this thread, which I have copied below:

The latest version is NC5, but if you just replace all of the above NAB files with NC5 ones, it'll work and you'll be on the most-recent version of the phone software.

If you want a bloatware-free ROM, I'd recommend using either of Freeza's Roms. If you want a more modded or themed one, there are tons on the Development Section.

As far as keeping everything the same as you have it now... I'd point you to Titanium Backup. With it you can backup and restore many of your settings and data when you upgrade. I'd just recommend not restoring too many system files (red ones), as they can mess things up.

Let me know if you have any more specific questions, I can hopefully answer anything you might need help on.

Very detailed, thanked you already but I want to say thanks again. I will give it a go tomorrow night.

28th May 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #5  
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 458

717 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by vizi0nz

Very detailed, thanked you already but I want to say thanks again. I will give it a go tomorrow night.

How did it go? Any issues?
The Following User Says Thank You to topherk For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 04:54 AM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Flag Bay Area

129 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by topherk

How did it go? Any issues?

Have not tried yet, been so busy haven't had time... Hopefully in 2 weeks or so lol

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread