Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,052 Members 45,517 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] HTC Sense Dialer number formatting, why doesn't it seem to work?

Tip us?

TheMoo69
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] HTC Sense Dialer number formatting, why doesn't it seem to work?

I have an HTC Sensation currently with Viper 2.0.2 on it. I have gone through many Sense based ROMs, and they all seem to have a common "issue" in that, when I dial a number on the phone dialer, it doesn't format the number, at all.

Being in Canada eh, I would like to have the 10 digit dialing properly formatted. This works fine with all Cyanogenmod ROMs, but so far doesn't seem to work with any Sense ROMs. I have gone through the Energy ROM, various Viper ROMs, and a few others on the forum, and they all seem to have the same issue when being Sense based.

Since I had to type out the subject for this thread, the system also had to search for similar threads, which were most of the threads I have previously found whereby people had various issues where they dialed UK numbers, but wanted US, and suggestions of MoreLocale2, and clearing of the Contacts data to resync the contacts from your google account.

I have even go so far as finding contact de-duplicator apps, and number reformatting apps for contacts. This is all find and dandy in that it has cleared out and reformatted all my contacts, but the dialer refuses to properly format 10 digit dialing. The recent calls also removes all formatting, while scrolling down the list to Contacts, does have the properly formatted numbers.

I have set my country to English (US), English (Canada), English (UK) and back in case there was something funny going on, but so far no go.

If anybody has had this, and had it resolved, I'd be glad to hear about it and see if it works for me.

Current Phone Info:
Rom: 2.0.2 Viper
Original Carrier: Bell
Current Carrier: Rogers
Rooted, S-Off'd, latest HBOOT, latest firmware

If I'm stuck like this, it's OK, but it would make my phone usage experience a lot nicer to see the numbers I'm dialing, as a lot of numbers are repeated through every now and then, and it would be nice to see some sort of separation.

Thanks

3484jacks
Old
Thanks Meter 20
In your dialer settings do you have the home dialing assistant??

I'm on ViperS 5.2.0 and there is a setting where I can use home dialing which replaces the 0 at the start of the number with a +44. It's set to this by default. I wonder if you set this to 'No. Use original Number ' it will just dial the number you type.
Devices
HTC One m8 - S-OFF Stock (Current)
HTC Sensation - ViperS 5.2.0 (Retired)
Samsung Galaxy S3 mini - Stock (Work)
HTC Desire - CM7.1 (Sold)
HTC Magic - Ginger Yoshi 1.5 (Retired)
Nokia N95 - Loved this phone!!!! (Sold )
HP Touchpad - AOKP

TheMoo69
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3484jacks View Post
In your dialer settings do you have the home dialing assistant??

I'm on ViperS 5.2.0 and there is a setting where I can use home dialing which replaces the 0 at the start of the number with a +44. It's set to this by default. I wonder if you set this to 'No. Use original Number ' it will just dial the number you type.
Looks like I may have not typed out an example. Currently when I dial in 1234567890 it looks as such, when I use any other ROM on my phone that doesn't use sense it will format it out as such: (123) 456-7890.

I did try out the Home Dialing settings just now, rebooting on each choice, with "Yes, use number below:" and "No. Use original Number:", just in case that may have resolved it, but it doesn't seem so.

I also so far don't see it replacing any of the numbers I have typed in with the +1 (Canada) that I have selected. I do see when I scroll through my contacts, the number format looks like +1-234-567-8900, and when I dial it, the dashes are removed. Maybe there's something in there causing a problem for me?

I believe a Cyanogenmod ROM usually formats my numbers when I dial them after a few digits, adding the brackets and dashes, but so far I have been unable to replicate that experience on my Sense ROMs.

I find these VIPER ROMs to be near perfection, now I'm just working on the quirks. Normally I wouldn't care about the small things, but I dial a fair amount of numbers with 2-4 repeated numbers in them in the breaks of the formatting, and it's hard to tell where in the number I have dialed up to, as my eyes aren't as young as they used to be, and sometimes the dialer lags, so I may have accidentally dialed too many of the same number without realizing it.

If there's no rhyme or reason to it, then I'll just leave it at that and get on with my life.

Thanks again for any input.