Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,673 Members 40,937 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Very confused about rooting and/or getting KitKat on a Fire HD

Tip us?

ExploreMN
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 460
Default Very confused about rooting and/or getting KitKat on a Fire HD

Hopefully someone can help. So I picked up a Fire HD for a good price and I want to put KitKat on it. Every tutorial or example I find talks about the software version being 7.x.x and mine has 11-something (see pic).

Can I still blow away the Amazon software and get Android on here? Will the walk-through showing 7.x.x work? Am I even in the right section?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-06-01 20.01.29.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	2777414  
Network: Family Mobile (T-Mobile)
Current Devices:Galaxy Note 8.0 , Galaxy Nexus GSM/HSPA+, Nexus 7 (2012), Kindle Touch
Other/Family Devices: Samsung Galaxy S II, iPhone 3GS, iPad 2
Previous Phones: Evo 3D, Epic 4G, , Evo 4G, Samsung Vibrant, Samsung Intercept, T-Mo G1
Previous Tablets:Galaxy Note 10.1, Galaxy Tab 8.9, Kindle Fire, Dell Streak 7, Asus Transformer, iPad, Archos 101, Nook Color and aPad

stunts513
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 603

DONATE TO ME
the 11.x.x kindles (2nd gen hd's) have the exploit patched and can't have custom recovery installed on it to allow for custom boot images to be flashed, so the only rom you can flash is kindle water beta, and its not kitkat. Unless someone find a bootloader exploit then you are not going to be able to flash any roms on it outside the one mentioned.
My Wallpaper Fix for KF2, KFHD 7", and KFHD 8.9" is HERE
Please Read the instructions and use the debugger if you run into errors.
My own modified adb drivers for just about all kindles (includes old twrp and cm versions) HERE
Tablet UI Patch for latest CM10.1 build HERE!

Please send complaints to /dev/null
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stunts513 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]