Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,811,995 Members 50,387 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Sense 5 is BAD for high speed downloading.

Tip us?

Sujan Baruah
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Sense 5 is BAD for high speed downloading.

Its not just a speculation from my end. I have seen this happen way too many times on Sense 5 and never while on AOSP (4.4.2 mostly).
What happens is whenever i use any torrent app or any downloading app like ADM (that uses multiple links to download, just like IDM in windows) the phone just freezes after about 5 minutes tops. It mostly occurs after a certain temperature is reached (45+ mostly) which as you all know is kinda a norm for our phone. After restart if i try again then the phone freezes under 2 minutes. This goes on for ever. Basically, a total nonsense for downloading.
Just yesterday i flashed OmniRom KK and have downloaded over 5GB (continuous 3-4 hours at a stretch) both using ADM and nTorrent and no freeze whatsover.
Moral: Ditch Sense if you are a downloader. Period.

Sujan Baruah
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I have used everything from EvolutionHD to ARHD to ViperRom to BladeElite to Stock Sense 5. As for AOSP i have tried this theory on OmniRom (currently on it), AOSB, CM11, AOSPA, SlimBean, etc. Downloading is just SH*T on Stock based rom.

and313
Old
Thanks Meter 592
Yes i had the same problem. Phone was always rebooting... Stick with aosp roms my suggestion they are updated and run great

Sent from my One X using Tapatalk

Sujan Baruah
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Yeah.... Have downloaded over 20GB in 3 days.... no problem whatsoever

omegavesko
Old
Thanks Meter 191
Hm. I've torrented on Sense 5 from time to time (on Viper 4.0.6, using the Flud bittorrent client) and don't recall having issues like this. At worst I've had HTTP downloads hang at times, but heavy downloading itself doesn't seem to be an issue.

Sujan Baruah
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
What speed do you get? Mind you, negligible speeds give no problem but only when the speed takes up most of the bandwidth of the I/O scheduler. In 4.4 the phone will slow down but at least it won't turn off.

kartoonz
Old
Thanks Meter 15
never had any issues on sense since 2 yrs now... max file i have downloaded is around 1.5gb with speeds of upto 1mbps downloads