Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,166 Members 45,751 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] clockworkmod

Tip us?

dirtsa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] clockworkmod

Hi!

Dont know if this is posted in the correct thread, but I'll try anywayz.
I have a LG g2, and when I accepted a software update the phone got stuck in the clockworkmod recovery-something.
Tried to click on factory reset etc, but nothing works. It just loops back to the same place.
The company that sold the phone say they will not repair it because clockworkmod is unauthorised software and the warranty does not apply.
The problem is, I have never herd of clockworkmod in my life before this happened. Can clockworkmod install itself without me doing anything?
I checked my backupinfo on apps installed from google play and none of them said clockworkmod.
Is it possible to find out when a program was installed and how it was installed?

If anyone has any idea, I would be very greatfull.

andreiav
Old
(Last edited by andreiav; 5th June 2014 at 08:20 AM.)
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsa View Post
Hi!

Dont know if this is posted in the correct thread, but I'll try anywayz.
I have a LG g2, and when I accepted a software update the phone got stuck in the clockworkmod recovery-something.
Tried to click on factory reset etc, but nothing works. It just loops back to the same place.
The company that sold the phone say they will not repair it because clockworkmod is unauthorised software and the warranty does not apply.
The problem is, I have never herd of clockworkmod in my life before this happened. Can clockworkmod install itself without me doing anything?
I checked my backupinfo on apps installed from google play and none of them said clockworkmod.
Is it possible to find out when a program was installed and how it was installed?

If anyone has any idea, I would be very greatfull.
Did you buy this phone brand new? It looks like the previous owner installed CWM Recovery on it. You can flash a custom firmware for your LG G2 from CWM or if you want to return to stock firmware, follow the steps from here: droidviews.com/how-to-restore-lg-g2-to-stock-firmware/

As for warranty, this is not covered, sorry.
Also, CWM CANNOT install itself. Either you or someone else installed it. You usually need root to install or you need to flash it. So it can't happen by accident. You can't install it like a normal app from the play store.

dirtsa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreiav View Post
Did you buy this phone brand new? It looks like the previous owner installed CWM Recovery on it. You can flash a custom firmware for your LG G2 from CWM or if you want to return to stock firmware, follow the steps from here: droidviews.com/how-to-restore-lg-g2-to-stock-firmware/

As for warranty, this is not covered, sorry.
Also, CWM CANNOT install itself. Either you or someone else installed it. You usually need root to install or you need to flash it. So it can't happen by accident. You can't install it like a normal app from the play store.
Hi, and thank you so much for the answer.
I bought the phone brand new from the store. I looked at the link, and thank you for that - I don't think I am capable of doing such a prosedure myself - but maybe I can send it to a mobile-workshop and they can do it for me. Thank you so much for that as well.

I don't understand how this program got in to my phone, they said that it was "rooted with unauthorised software" - I have no idea what rooting means. I am going to try to get to the bottom of this and find out how this program got into my phone in the first place.

andreiav
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Hi, and thank you so much for the answer.
I bought the phone brand new from the store. I looked at the link, and thank you for that - I don't think I am capable of doing such a prosedure myself - but maybe I can send it to a mobile-workshop and they can do it for me. Thank you so much for that as well.

I don't understand how this program got in to my phone, they said that it was "rooted with unauthorised software" - I have no idea what rooting means. I am going to try to get to the bottom of this and find out how this program got into my phone in the first place.
You are very welcome. If you do not know what rooting is, then clearly it wasn't you who did it. Your phone gut stuck because of the custom recovery on your phone. Updates can only work with stock (original) recovery.

Was the phone sealed? (the box, the battery...?) It really sounds like somebody from that store ripped you off with a modified phone.
If you can't prove it, then take it to a mobile service. I'm sure they can handle it. Sorry for your warranty though..

Good luck with it.

dirtsa
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thanks again for the answer. I talked to a company who offers mobile workshop. They said it is no way of finding out who "rooted" the phone. I don't know why they keep talking about the rooting. I sent an email and asked if it was possible to find out when and how a program was installed on my phone. Do you know if it is possible to find out primarily WHEN clockworkmod was intalled, and secondary how it was installed?
On computers you can see when a program was installed so I thought maybe you could do that with mobile phones as well?
Sorry for all this stupid questions, but I am quite annoyed because I bought the phone from the biggest telephone company in my country, and now it has become my mission in life to prove that I didn't do this myself

Best Regards

andreiav
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Thanks again for the answer. I talked to a company who offers mobile workshop. They said it is no way of finding out who "rooted" the phone. I don't know why they keep talking about the rooting. I sent an email and asked if it was possible to find out when and how a program was installed on my phone. Do you know if it is possible to find out primarily WHEN clockworkmod was intalled, and secondary how it was installed?
On computers you can see when a program was installed so I thought maybe you could do that with mobile phones as well?
Sorry for all this stupid questions, but I am quite annoyed because I bought the phone from the biggest telephone company in my country, and now it has become my mission in life to prove that I didn't do this myself

Best Regards
Unfortunately, I don't think you can find out when CWM recovery was installed, or when the phone was rooted.

They keep talking about rooting because your phone is most likely rooted. Rooted means having a piece of software installed on the phone that gives you full access. And you can then modify anything on the phone, including system files. It's like having Administrator rights on Windows let's say.

Good luck with your phone
The Following User Says Thank You to andreiav For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]