Ask a question

No registration required

Complete wipe, I mean everything, question

OP jackal2001

5th June 2014, 06:26 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 65

334 posts
So after years of flashing roms, installing apps, saving junk to my phone I think it is time to completely wipe it. I've searched and come across a few threads but I want to look at some of the CWM Mounts and storage options to be sure. Here is one I came across:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/gala...tions-t1542857

If I wanted to do a compete wipe including all internal SD data, but not lose Root, I would do the following???

wipe data / factory reset
wipe cache partition
wipe dallvik cache
format /system
format /cache
format /data
format /preload (unsure about this one, can't find info)
format /storage/sdcard0
install rom then from my ext sdcard1
install gapps then from my ext sdcard1
reboot into a clean phone and start installing stuff again.

That should be enough correct? I'm not sure where CWM Recovery lives but I would assume that would be on the /boot partition and that is the one section that I don't want to format, correct? I'm also not sure of where the modem is set/installed and would that need to be reinstalled again?
Last edited by jackal2001; 5th June 2014 at 06:34 PM.
5th June 2014, 07:48 PM   |  #2  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,410

664 posts
With this device, recovery lives with the kernel in the boot partition. Everytime you install a kernel, a fresh image is installed to the partition.

I'm not sure what your actual goal is, but the process you've outlined process is very redundant.

factory reset wipes /data & /cache (which includes dalvik-cache)

A factory reset plus manually wiping /system (and /preload if using samsung-based firmware) promises a clean installation of ANYTHING.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2001

[...]
If I wanted to do a compete wipe including all internal SD data, but not lose Root, I would do the following???

wipe data / factory reset
wipe cache partition
wipe dallvik cache
format /system
format /cache
format /data
format /preload (unsure about this one, can't find info)
format /storage/sdcard0
install rom then from my ext sdcard1
install gapps then from my ext sdcard1
reboot into a clean phone and start installing stuff again.

That should be enough correct? I'm not sure where CWM Recovery lives but I would assume that would be on the /boot partition and that is the one section that I don't want to format, correct? I'm also not sure of where the modem is set/installed and would that need to be reinstalled again?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 07:56 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 65

334 posts
I want to have a fresh install. Basically wipe everything including whatever junk is installed on the SD card. Like a new phone pulled out of the box. I'm sure there is tons of junk on the SD card due to apps being installed/uninstalled over the years.
Yes I understand some of the options may be redundant, but it only takes a second.

So as long as I don't "format /boot" you saying that should be OK?
5th June 2014, 08:02 PM   |  #4  
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter: 1,410

664 posts
If you prefer to take the extra steps, then I don't see any harm in your procedure.

It may seem obvious, but make sure you have everything you'll need on that ext-sd card, before you format /system.

mr.cook has some scripts that will format preload, if the option isn't present in your recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackal2001

I want to have a fresh install. Basically wipe everything including whatever junk is installed on the SD card. Like a new phone pulled out of the box. I'm sure there is tons of junk on the SD card due to apps being installed/uninstalled over the years.
Yes I understand some of the options may be redundant, but it only takes a second.

So as long as I don't "format /boot" you saying that should be OK?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cyril279 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread