Constant handoff problems when traveling among metro areas

OP apols

5th June 2014, 03:38 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

183 posts
I have a rooted T-Mobile Note 3 running a stock rom and Kernel. I also travel a ton for work. I love this phone, but I am so freaking sick of dumping it into airplane mode and back to get a signal every 45 minutes. It seems like if I travel a few blocks, it still says I get 4G LTE with 3-4 bars, but nothing will load. Literally, nothing. Not until I dump it into airplane mode (which takes 30 seconds in this condition), will it actually let me use data again for another 20 minutes.

I can tell that it's bungled the handoff between one tower to another. When this is NOT an issue, trying to put it in airplane mode is almost instantaneous. When it IS an issue, airplane mode takes 30 seconds to fully drop everything.

From what I understand, this is fairly common to Samsung phones. I have owned the Note 3, Note 2 and Galaxy nexus, but never before did I travel this frequently for my job. Now that I'm traveling and having to rely on this hunk of ****, I'm going to be dumping it as fast as I can.

I also have an iPhone 5S for work, which I hate in every way imaginable except one, and that is that it actually does its job and hands off from tower to tower correctly without requiring reboots or disabling the network.

Hopefully the LG G3 is an improvement, because this is ****ing maddening.
5th June 2014, 02:41 PM   |  #2  
Flag minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 1,168

2,122 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by apols

I have a rooted T-Mobile Note 3 running a stock rom and Kernel. I also travel a ton for work. I love this phone, but I am so freaking sick of dumping it into airplane mode and back to get a signal every 45 minutes. It seems like if I travel a few blocks, it still says I get 4G LTE with 3-4 bars, but nothing will load. Literally, nothing. Not until I dump it into airplane mode (which takes 30 seconds in this condition), will it actually let me use data again for another 20 minutes.

I can tell that it's bungled the handoff between one tower to another. When this is NOT an issue, trying to put it in airplane mode is almost instantaneous. When it IS an issue, airplane mode takes 30 seconds to fully drop everything.

From what I understand, this is fairly common to Samsung phones. I have owned the Note 3, Note 2 and Galaxy nexus, but never before did I travel this frequently for my job. Now that I'm traveling and having to rely on this hunk of ****, I'm going to be dumping it as fast as I can.

I also have an iPhone 5S for work, which I hate in every way imaginable except one, and that is that it actually does its job and hands off from tower to tower correctly without requiring reboots or disabling the network.

Hopefully the LG G3 is an improvement, because this is ****ing maddening.

Some seem to be afflicted with this. My wife included. The ne6 update helped her out quite a bit.

The Following User Says Thank You to jdidtht For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 04:31 PM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 4

25 posts
More
I have the same problem. I hate it. I do the same as you, turn airplane mode on and off. I'm on stock and not updated any software since I got the phone because ironically I heard this was a problem when updated. I might just do all the updates and see what happens.

Sent from my SM-N900T http://www.inflewential.com
5th June 2014, 07:58 PM   |  #4  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 10

183 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdidtht

Some seem to be afflicted with this. My wife included. The ne6 update helped her out quite a bit.

Thank you for this information, I was not even aware there was an update. I'll update it via ODIN if T-Mobile will not be pushing this out anytime soon.
The Following User Says Thank You to apols For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 08:15 PM   |  #5  
Flag minneapolis
Thanks Meter: 1,168

2,122 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by apols

Thank you for this information, I was not even aware there was an update. I'll update it via ODIN if T-Mobile will not be pushing this out anytime soon.

Yea I personally would Just Odin it up. See what happens. .. Ne6 was suppose to help clear that up add some other featured as well. Overall the build is just more solid than nb4 was

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread