[Q] NC2 or NC4

5th June 2014, 02:18 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 2

38 posts
More
I am currently running MJE, stock ROM, rooted, safestrap installed. I assume my best route is to uninstall Safestrap, unroot, take the NC4 OTA, and then re-root and install Safestrap. Or should I keep it like it is and flash NC2 and avoid any OTAs?
5th June 2014, 02:34 AM   |  #2  
OP Member

38 posts
More
I think I just answered my own question. I see that NC4 cannot be rooted yet. Think I'll just stick with what I have for now and wait on a root method.
5th June 2014, 02:35 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 60

212 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigShowJoe

I am currently running MJE, stock ROM, rooted, safestrap installed. I assume my best route is to uninstall Safestrap, unroot, take the NC4 OTA, and then re-root and install Safestrap. Or should I keep it like it is and flash NC2 and avoid any OTAs?

NOOOOOO. Do not do that. If you take the OTA update you will be in a bad place.

All info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52116851

Once you are on the leaked NC2, you can install the NC4 modem if you want; however myself and many others are finding better connection and speeds with the MJE modem. You can flash MJE/NC2/NC4 modems interchangeably in ODIN once you are on NC2.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

Quote:

I think I just answered my own question. I see that NC4 cannot be rooted yet. Think I'll just stick with what I have for now and wait on a root method.

There is no reason to wait for a root method. The NC2 leak can be flashed with NC4 modem and recovery, and you can run any of the 4.4.2 ROMs on it. In addition, if you waited for NC4 to be rooted and did the OTA update, you'd still lose the ability to downgrade to MJE and other flashing options that only the leaked NC2 allows.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigillz For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 03:19 AM   |  #4  
OP Member

38 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigillz

NOOOOOO. Do not do that. If you take the OTA update you will be in a bad place.

All info here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...php?p=52116851

Once you are on the leaked NC2, you can install the NC4 modem if you want; however myself and many others are finding better connection and speeds with the MJE modem. You can flash MJE/NC2/NC4 modems interchangeably in ODIN once you are on NC2.

---------- Post added at 06:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

There is no reason to wait for a root method. The NC2 leak can be flashed with NC4 modem and recovery, and you can run any of the 4.4.2 ROMs on it. In addition, if you waited for NC4 to be rooted and did the OTA update, you'd still lose the ability to downgrade to MJE and other flashing options that only the leaked NC2 allows.

Good points. Thanks.
5th June 2014, 01:18 PM   |  #5  
Flag Minnesota
Thanks Meter: 927

394 posts
More
Quote:

If you take the NC4 OTA, your bootloader will be incremented with a special counter that's read in Odin/Download Mode. NC2 does not increment this counter, allowing you to downgrade to 4.3 if need be. NC2 also has kernel modules enabled, which is pretty rare.
5th June 2014, 02:26 PM   |  #6  
OP Member

38 posts
More
Thanks for the info guys. Can someone point me to the Odin download and instructions on flashing firmware?
5th June 2014, 03:23 PM   |  #7  
Flag upper east coast
Thanks Meter: 29

37 posts
Quote:

Thanks for the info guys. Can someone point me to the Odin download and instructions on flashing firmware?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2740466

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2543386

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to DSM4rill For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 11:15 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Quick question: I did the NC2 leak and running bigginsRom v3, I then flashed the NC4 radio which works great. Do I have to odin back to NC2 radio before flashing bigginsRom V4?
5th June 2014, 11:30 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 23

56 posts
No. The rom doesn't care what modem you are ruinning. I am still on Eclipse 4.3 and I have updated to the NC4 modem.
The Following User Says Thank You to hecksagon For This Useful Post: [ View ]
5th June 2014, 11:34 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 0

5 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hecksagon

No. The rom doesn't care what modem you are ruinning. I am still on Eclipse 4.3 and I have updated to the NC4 modem.

Thanks for the clarifying

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread